2022 Explorer ST Line

Keeping America’s All-Time Best-Selling SUV Hot, Ford Explorer ST Elevates Performance, New ST-Line Model Revs Up Athletic Style | Ford Media Center

Like Edge ST Line, Explorer ST Line has the looks of the ST,  but not the performance, for a lower price. Ford says "Designed for drivers who favor the performance-inspired appearance of the ST brand but don’t require its full power and capability, Explorer ST-Line comes with a starting MSRP that is $7,570 less than Explorer ST and $2,575 less than Explorer Enthusiast ST"

2022%20Explorer%20ST_Line_02.jpg

2022%20Explorer%20ST_Line_03.jpg

2022-explorer-st-line-14-1629468884.jpg

2022-explorer-st-line-05-1629468895.jpg

Edited by rperez817

52 minutes ago, mustang84isu said:

I really don't understand why Ford is watering down the ST nameplate by calling these ST-Line. 

It's a way to get status conscious consumers who want something sportier looking and more expensive than a regular Explorer base or XLT, but aren't willing to pay for true ST level performance.

In Europe, Ford uses ST Line in this way for many of its cars and crossovers.

53 minutes ago, mustang84isu said:

I really don't understand why Ford is watering down the ST nameplate by calling these ST-Line.  Give it a different name...SL (Sport Line)?  This is like Chevy sticking the SS badge on anything and everything back in the mid-00's.

They’ve had ST-Line in Europe for many years now.  Maybe even before we had the ST models in North America.  So it’s not new.  But it can certainly be confusing.

2 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

I really don't understand why Ford is watering down the ST nameplate by calling these ST-Line.  Give it a different name...SL (Sport Line)?  This is like Chevy sticking the SS badge on anything and everything back in the mid-00's.

The same reason BMW does M-Sport models and MB does AMG-line.  And why Cadillac did V-sport, etc.

It's a way to charge more for an appearance package by leveraging the brand's performance trim's name.

I do agree it waters down the name regardless of brand, but I get why they do it.

Edited by rmc523

3 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

ST Line is a common trim in ROW Fords where Ford offers ST features with a more basic engine.

We’ll see if Americans take to this strategy or not….

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

ST Line is a common trim in ROW Fords where Ford offers ST features with a more basic engine.

We’ll see if Americans take to this strategy or not….

It will be big hit. Most people don't give a shit about 0-60 times unless they are out of the norm. And 300 hp is more than acceptable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

It will be big hit. Most people don't give a shit about 0-60 times unless they are out of the norm. And 300 hp is more than acceptable. 

Yeah, my plain explorer xlt has plenty of power for me, I’d just like a little more style.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I was wondering how long it would take Ford USA to try ST Line, they’ve only just come to the opinion you expressed…

On 8/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, mustang84isu said:

I concur with you on this. As an ST owner, I think it diminishes the value of the ST product line.  I also think it can be confusing to customers. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Has AMG-line or M-Sport hurt AMG or M value for Mercedes or BMW?

Yes sir, but only for owners of true AMG and M vehicles due to the diminished value of those marques (just as tbone mentioned for ST).

But for Daimler and BMW as companies, the expanded use of AMG and M marques to include vehicles that don't have the performance or capabilities of a true AMG or M means more customers and more revenue.

Edited by rperez817

On 8/22/2021 at 8:09 AM, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, but only for owners of true AMG and M vehicles due to the diminished value of those marques (just as tbone mentioned for ST).

But for Daimler and BMW as companies, the expanded use of AMG and M marques to include vehicles that don't have the performance or capabilities of a true AMG or M means more customers and more revenue.

I don't think it has impacted AMG or M at all. The people what will pay for them don't care about AMG Sport or M-Sport so this is one of those rare brand marketing situation where only positive attributes shifts down and hardly any negative attributes comes back to the top tier brand. 

And your second point is very true. It's why everyone does it. 

I’m in Louisville this week and in a ST Explorer with 43k on the odometer. Love the performance but compared to my Telluride with almost same mileage (41k in 11 months) I’m very unimpressed.  Quality is mediocre and it is very much a compromised product since it’s slotted between a Aviator. Outside of a few things this falls way short of my Kia and it is very sad.  Just expect more and hopefully they close the gaps. 
interior on my rental is all black and I don’t think this even has rear cross traffic alert nor lane keeping assist. Lane centering works with cruise but is not something I’m comfortable with. It ventures to the left side of the lane excessively. Like a few things but this product is not class leading IMO. Not even impressed with the BO sound system compared to my stock EX system with no subwoofer. Frustrating cause I see cost cutting all over. 
this thing needs a refresh in more ways than one.  I’m in only for a few more days and may add more content later. I do like the exterior and plenty of room. Just doesn’t feel like it’s rear wheel basis as much as I expected. Right now about 24 mpg average and I’m a right hand lane driver. 
Hard miles on this car but door window switches that are flaking and lots of lag in controls and rear camera graphics that suck compared to my Kia that cost maybe $20k less is insane. And I love the Aviator so I know Ford can brings it’s A game but this isn’t it in. 

Edited by kyle

49 minutes ago, kyle said:

I’m in Louisville this week and in a ST Explorer with 43k on the odometer. Love the performance but compared to my Telluride with almost same mileage (41k in 11 months) I’m very unimpressed.  Quality is mediocre and it is very much a compromised product since it’s slotted between a Aviator. Outside of a few things this falls way short of my Kia and it is very sad.  Just expect more and hopefully they close the gaps. 
interior on my rental is all black and I don’t think this even has rear cross traffic alert nor lane keeping assist. Lane centering works with cruise but is not something I’m comfortable with. It ventures to the left side of the lane excessively. Like a few things but this product is not class leading IMO. Not even impressed with the BO sound system compared to my stock EX system with no subwoofer. Frustrating cause I see cost cutting all over. 
this thing needs a refresh in more ways than one.  I’m in only for a few more days and may add more content later. I do like the exterior and plenty of room. Just doesn’t feel like it’s rear wheel basis as much as I expected. Right now about 24 mpg average and I’m a right hand lane driver. 
Hard miles on this car but door window switches that are flaking and lots of lag in controls and rear camera graphics that suck compared to my Kia that cost maybe $20k less is insane. And I love the Aviator so I know Ford can brings it’s A game but this isn’t it in. 

Well, I guess the Explorer doesn’t smell like rotten vegetables at least?

https://carbuzz.com/news/angry-hyundai-palisade-owners-end-legal-fight

• Like 1