Ford cancels Bronco-based pickup

I think cancelling the Bronco truck probably means Ford thinks the next Ranger is going to sell like gangbusters. The financial projection for Bronco truck probably didn't pencil out once you start to take down Ranger or Bronco production rates. The Ranger is essentially "free" in terms of capital investment because Ford needs it for the rest of the world so Bronco truck was always fighting an uphill battle. Add to that, the fact that MAP is going to bump up against capacity if Ford thinks next gen Ranger can start chewing into Tacoma's market share - Toyota won't have a new Tacoma for at least 3 years after the next Ranger launches... Ford probably smells blood in the water. 

• Like 1

Absolutely, Toyota trying to extract maximum efficiency by linking  Tundra, Tacoma and Hilux

on one engineering grouping - that takes time, the NG Ranger will outflank Tacoma and Hilux.

While diehard Hilux and Tacoma buyers probably won’t switch, Ford is betting that a lot of those 

“fence sitters” will. I’m predicting that Ranger will be a great product that increases sales by  20-25%

with most of that on high series sales ($$$$)……and that’s why Bronco pickup is not needed.

Ford has a massive opportunity to drive T6 to 2028 and make lots of profit before electrification 

finally begins to bite, these next seven years sets Ford up financially to get ROI and switch.

Edited by jpd80

49 minutes ago, bzcat said:

The financial projection for Bronco truck probably didn't pencil out once you start to take down Ranger or Bronco production rates.

This would be my guess.  I think MAP will be near full capacity with Ranger and Bronco and other future variants.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

This would be my guess.  I think MAP will be near full capacity with Ranger and Bronco and other future variants.

In all likelihood, most sales increases with NG Ranger will come from high series trims from Lariat to Raptor,

adding a Bronco pickup would definitely cannibalise those “easy sales”.

Any news/rumors on if there will be other variants in the family? F150 based bigger one? I would guess BEV/phev is almost definite down the road.

I was looking forward to the pickup version, but if it won't make money or overlaps too much with Ranger I guess it is what it is. Like others have said, it gives Ranger more opportunity for off road versions.

16 hours ago, akirby said:

16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They can add a third shift in final if necessary. 

If sales really take off, maybe tool up Flat Rock and Oakville for more production; three plants building Rangers just like the good ol' days.

1 hour ago, Chrisgb said:

If sales really take off, maybe tool up Flat Rock and Oakville for more production; three plants building Rangers just like the good ol' days.

The issue is I've heard that flat rock would struggle to produce a taller vehicle. Hence why they focus on producing mustangs and until recently, continentals. That being said, that plant is no longer running at full capacity, so I wonder if Ford has plans to produce future additional models there alongside the mustang. If that's the case, I wonder what those future models could be. Perhaps a mustang sedan...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

The issue is I've heard that flat rock would struggle to produce a taller vehicle. Hence why they focus on producing mustangs and until recently, continentals. That being said, that plant is no longer running at full capacity, so I wonder if Ford has plans to produce future additional models there alongside the mustang. If that's the case, I wonder what those future models could be. Perhaps a mustang sedan...

Not so long ago, the plan was to close it down and move Mustang elsewhere 

but then it was kept as a way of completing the UAW agreement with least disruption.

Equally, S650 Mustang moved from being complete CD6 base to evolved S550 that uses

certain CD6 modules. So all decisions you see are to continue Mustang with least cost.

Sure, some of us would love to see a sedan off the NG Mustang platform but it’s getting 

really late in the game to justify an ICE sedan, even with hybrid tech….

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Not so long ago, the plan was to close it down and move Mustang elsewhere 

but then it was kept as a way of completing the UAW agreement with least disruption.

Equally, S650 Mustang moved from being complete CD6 base to evolved S550 that uses

certain CD6 modules. So all decisions you see are to continue Mustang with least cost.

Sure, some of us would love to see a sedan off the NG Mustang platform but it’s getting 

really late in the game to justify an ICE sedan, even with hybrid tech….

This is true, I wouldn't be surprised if the s650 is the last ICE powered mustang.

6 hours ago, SteelyD said:

The Maverick will have broader market appeal than a Bronco pick up. This is why Ford chose not to build a Bronco pick up.

And every Ford pickup has a Tremor package except for the Maverick so far. That will probably follow with the 2.0 AWD model. The Tremor models look like decent offroaders.