Rivian's IPO is valued at $80Billion

bzcat

On 8/31/2021 at 8:02 AM, silvrsvt said:

I see the R1T and SUV version of it being aimed at the higher end of the market then the Lightening is going to be. It would be a far better fit for Lincoln, but having a BEV Nautilus and Aviator might make slotting it into the Lincoln lineup a bit tough. I also don't see them selling that many of them in the grand scheme of things-The R1T is roughly a midsized pickup and I'm betting its going to be the "worst" selling out of the current 5 on the market due the pricing.  

MT review loves the truck, but then again it's MT and always overly harsh when reviewing Ford. Interesting to note they had nothing bad to say about the ugly, AMCish front end, headlamp set up. Only criticism was no physical switch gear. That alone is deal breaker to me. Even adjusting air vents is done only through screen. How nighmarish....scroll through a menu to adjust air vent while driving in heavy traffic. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Questions that will need to be answered. What is the range when going off road and also towing?  Rubicon 4Xe went from on road 26 miles all electric to 3 miles on a rocky trail in an unscientific TFL test. Towing for electrics could be the Achilles heal.

Fair point but I don’t see off roading as a big use case for BEV pickups.  Towing, yes but not for long distances. 

23 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Questions that will need to be answered. What is the range when going off road and also towing?  Rubicon 4Xe went from on road 26 miles all electric to 3 miles on a rocky trail in an unscientific TFL test. Towing for electrics could be the Achilles heal.

WTF about the obsession over 0-60 mph times. Who wants their head rammed into head rest violently. Most major streets are 35-45mph. I guess you buy a BEV to go 0-60 in 3 seconds and have neck pain the rest of your life. With this kind of power and no switch gear to even adjust an air vent, driving is going to be more dangerous, not less. Now Joe Blow can accelerate like an F1 race car and fiddle with menu screen at same time. God help us. And have his worldly possessions in the truck bed to boot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Good questions jcartwright99 sir. If Rivian itself doesn't provide answers to your questions once R1T production kicks off later this month, the Motor Trend editors who wrote the first drive article said their publication plans to do more detailed testing of a production R1T in the near future (the R1T they drove was pre-production), and they may be able to provide answers also.

On 9/1/2021 at 2:32 PM, FordBuyer said:

Even adjusting air vents is done only through screen. How nighmarish....scroll through a menu to adjust air vent while driving in heavy traffic. 

Uh if it’s set at 70 degrees with automatic temperature control, it’s to shouldn’t be an issue with it being hot or cold out. 

The one deal breaker for all automakers whether ICE or BEV is the microchip crisis.  All market intelligence I've read said this will extend into 2023 and some are even saying 2024.  BEV vehicles use more microchips than ICE, much as luxury vehicles use more microchips whether ICE or BEV.  Rivian delayed their production of the R1T due to the microchip issue.The thing I do see with Rivian is their management is focused unlike Tesla that went through "production hell" due to Musk's forever changing whims. 

Musk is more interested in market manipulation to make money rather than producing vehicles.  Most of Tesla's earnings come from selling carbon credits and cryptocurrency rather than from the automotive business.  I believe Musk will eventually be arrested for his manipulation of cryptocurrency prices.  He tweets about buying BitCoin and his cult followers jump on the wagon. As soon as the price peaks Tesla sells it causing the price to drop.  It won't take long for the SEC to hone in on him.

• 2 months later...

The value of Ford's investment in Rivian is now up to $10.3 billion, on investments starting just a couple of years ago of $823 million. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/10/fords-stake-in-ev-truck-start-up-rivian-is-worth-more-than-10-billion-in-first-day-of-trading.html

"A major winner following electric vehicle start-up Rivian Automotive’s blowout IPO on Wednesday is ironically one of its competitors, Ford Motor.

"Ford owns about 12% of the company through equity and bond investments that started in 2019, according to public filings by Rivian. Based on Rivian’s closing price of $100.73 a share Wednesday following its Nasdaq debut, Ford’s roughly 102 million shares of the company, which include notes that convert to shares in June, are worth about $10.3 billion alone. It purchased its equity stake for an aggregate of $820 million, according to public documents."

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

The value of Ford's investment in Rivian is now up to $10.3 billion, on investments starting just a couple of years ago of $823 million. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/10/fords-stake-in-ev-truck-start-up-rivian-is-worth-more-than-10-billion-in-first-day-of-trading.html

"A major winner following electric vehicle start-up Rivian Automotive’s blowout IPO on Wednesday is ironically one of its competitors, Ford Motor.

"Ford owns about 12% of the company through equity and bond investments that started in 2019, according to public filings by Rivian. Based on Rivian’s closing price of $100.73 a share Wednesday following its Nasdaq debut, Ford’s roughly 102 million shares of the company, which include notes that convert to shares in June, are worth about $10.3 billion alone. It purchased its equity stake for an aggregate of $820 million, according to public documents."

Nice return......

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Deanh said:

didn't Ford dump all their Rivian stock yesterday for a tidy profit?

Where did you hear that? Looks like Ford has hard decision to make....sell your $10 billion stake, keep it and hope for more, or sell part of it and hope remaining shares increase. If they sell, I would imagine Ford will owe IRS billions. 

19 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

Ford's stake is worth $12 billion.  I still can't understand how these new start-ups that have very little assets  and very small amounts of vehicles on the road can outdo Ford and GM!  I think I'll start hyping a water powered vehicle.

It is crazy, isn't it? It's like playing the lottery with the tech startups and crypto currency. Become an instant millionaire. That is Amerca for you....boom or bust. One day you are a millionaire, and next day you want to jump out of a 20 story window. Bubbles everywhere. 

50 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

Ford's stake is worth $12 billion.  I still can't understand how these new start-ups that have very little assets  and very small amounts of vehicles on the road can outdo Ford and GM!  I think I'll start hyping a water powered vehicle.

Part of it is they have no legacy costs like GM or Ford. 

Most of the price is due expected future demand, but I’m sure that once there is a severe economic problems with the country like a bad recession, it will thin the ranks out of the weaker companies. 

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

I still can't understand how these new start-ups that have very little assets  and very small amounts of vehicles on the road can outdo Ford and GM!

New business models, new technology, agility, no legacy automaker baggage, lots of future growth opportunities. That's why Ford invested in Rivian and is collaborating with them on product development. 

12 hours ago, twintornados said:

I invested in Rivian yesterday.

As did I.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Part of it is they have no legacy costs like GM or Ford. 

Most of the price is due expected future demand, but I’m sure that once there is a severe economic problems with the country like a bad recession, it will thin the ranks out of the weaker companies. 

Eh, with the companies that are partnering/backing with Rivian, I'm far more confident in their future than some of the others like Lucid or Faraday.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Or spectacular failure.  Remember Campaq?  Commodore?  Gateway?  All three were the newest best thing, and all three flopped. 

My brother used to sell for Gateway in the late 90s until the .com bust of 2000. They were the new kid on the block and extremely profitable. They were growing at a rate unseen in the PC business at the time and a darling of the stock market… then management changed and a focus on return to shareholders started. He left when commission was cut, the headquarters moved and sales was farmed out. After awhile the so-called improved profit business model destroyed the company. Don’t think that this can’t happen to any company especially progressive new start-ups.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Rivian market cap is past $100 billion just 2 days after IPO. It's now the second most valuable U.S. automaker after Tesla. Rivian passes GM as second-most valuable U.S. automaker (detroitnews.com)

RIVN share price at market close today was $122.99

And last I heard they were producing 2 pickups/day. That is incredible revenue coming in and looks like those who ordered one will be waiting a long time. I believe it took years for Tesla to increase production speed and Musk had to sleep on factory floor for weeks to get production up with fit and finish taking much longer. The HARD part for Rivian starts now. Delivering on promises and orders. Good luck.