Auto News: Explorer/Aviator EV in 2023

The cobbled MME mule we've seen is apparently the mule for Explorer/Aviator EV:

Along with the Explorer EV, Ford will offer an electric Lincoln Aviator, also in 2023. Both vehicles will be distinct from the standard versions and be built in Mexico.

The Explorer and Aviator will sit on a new rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive EV platform, one of two new dedicated EV architectures Ford announced in May. The other is for full-size pickups.

Note the comment that both will be "distinct from the standard versions". 

This info came from a multi day dealer meeting in Dallas. 

https://www.autonews.com/sales/future-product-ford-ready-hit-gas-evs?utm_source=weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210829&utm_content=hero-headline

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

The cobbled MME mule we've seen is apparently the mule for Explorer/Aviator EV:

Note the comment that both will be "distinct from the standard versions". 

This info came from a multi day dealer meeting in Dallas. 

https://www.autonews.com/sales/future-product-ford-ready-hit-gas-evs?utm_source=weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210829&utm_content=hero-headline

This ends all my speculation about Edge Nautilus replacements going to Mexico. I hope Ford does a great job on them. That mule was indeed Explorer/Aviator after all. I’m sure the UAW is till pissed off about that one! 

36 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

This ends all my speculation about Edge Nautilus replacements going to Mexico. I hope Ford does a great job on them. That mule was indeed Explorer/Aviator after all. I’m sure the UAW is till pissed off about that one! 

There was rumors a few months ago about Ford expanding the Explorer lineup and the model that was doing that would replace the Edge. The current ICE Explorer isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

I wonder if they'll call it an Explorer Sport BEV...LOL

41 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

LOL, told ya.

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

There was rumors a few months ago about Ford expanding the Explorer lineup and the model that was doing that would replace the Edge. The current ICE Explorer isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

I wonder if they'll call it an Explorer Sport BEV...LOL

Of course the Explorer ICE isn’t going anywhere anytime soon that would be a horrible move by Ford. It’s way too popular to do that anytime soon if at all if you ask me. Well something has to replace the Edge. Just read on Automotive News that OAC is getting Corsair some kind of Corsair platform twin CX802 and a midsized Lincoln Crossover CDX818. So that would be 3 Lincolns at OAC. Medium to low volume sellers. Maybe this is what PREMIERDRUM meant when he said the nameplates aren’t going anywhere the format is changing in regards to Edge Nautilus. 

Edited by Oacjay98

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But the Explorer has zero association with the Mach nameplate, unlike the Mustang. 

We've had the following:
Explorer Sport (2 door)

Explorer Sport Trac

So maybe Explorer Sport BEV?

They said it will be different from the ICE version so should be interesting 

14 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Of course the Explorer ICE isn’t going anywhere anytime soon that would be a horrible move by Ford. It’s way too popular to do that anytime soon if at all if you ask me. Well something has to replace the Edge. Just read on Automotive News that OAC is getting Corsair some kind of Corsair platform twin CX802 and a midsized Lincoln Crossover CDX818. So that would be 3 Lincolns at OAC. Medium to low volume sellers. Maybe this is what PREMIERDRUM meant when he said the nameplates aren’t going anywhere the format is changing in regards to Edge Nautilus. 

Maybe you guys are getting BEV versions or "Coupe/fastback" versions of the Corsair and Nautilus? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

They said it will be different from the ICE version so should be interesting 

Which would indicate to me that it won't be as big as the current Explorer so it wouldn't compete against it. 

Once the current product cycle for the Explorer is over with (in about 10 years), it would switch to its own BEV platform. 

8 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Maybe you guys are getting BEV versions or "Coupe/fastback" versions of the Corsair and Nautilus? 

I’m very curious to see what they will be but that won’t be for now we probably won’t see a picture of a mule til about 2023-24

8 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Which would indicate to me that it won't be as big as the current Explorer so it wouldn't compete against it. 

Once the current product cycle for the Explorer is over with (in about 10 years), it would switch to its own BEV platform. 

What you’re saying sounds logical to me they have to be careful how they execute this and they’re saying it’s midsized so I wouldn’t doubt that you’re right. 

12 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But the Explorer has zero association with the Mach nameplate, unlike the Mustang. 

The Mustang and Mach names had zero association with an electric four door CUV, before they did. 

Ford is building sub brands. I wonder if instead of (or in addition to) a Mustang sub brand there won’t be a Mach-E sub brand. 

• Like 1

Remember that Ford is really hot right now on building distinct vehicle "families," the validation of which is bringing their portfolio in line with customer expectations from other consumer goods markets. 

Each family will be able to support 3 to 5 models, with maybe an exception or two:

F-150 Family

SuperDuty Family

Transit Family

Ranger Family

Mustang Family

Expedition Family

Explorer Family

Bronco Family

Edge Family / Fusion Family

As long as their standards and hallmarks for each brand remain focused and enforced - and they are doing a great job of this so far - it's a great strategy that maximizes consumer outreach efforts and positions the brand better that a broader portfolio of disparate products. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sullynd said:

The Mustang and Mach names had zero association with an electric four door CUV, before they did. 

Ford is building sub brands. I wonder if instead of (or in addition to) a Mustang sub brand there won’t be a Mach-E sub brand. 

Still not buying it...there is already an established name for the Explorer to use to expand its branding or establish a sub brand.

The Mustang and Mach names are associated with one another and using them on a BEV was marketing masterstroke. The BEV SUV still performs like a Mustang, so it has that angle.

I can see Ford using the Lightning branding for Ranger BEV.

As for people doubting BEVs-This best thing I've heard when it come to them-my cousins husband was on a ride in my brother in laws Model 3 Performance and when he got it, he said-This feels like a ride at Great Adventure! I've never felt so much torque/G force from a car and I've been in a Tesla S also. Its insane.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

And I'll add...

If funding holds for this next round of Lincoln product updates and additions...  ?

Thanks for the info and let’s hope plans don’t change too drastically or at all for that matter. Without saying it you kind of basically said there will be some kind of edge/fusion replacement. Whether the mysterious fusion active or some kind of edge. Let’s hope the strategies that they’re implementing work our well going forward.

31 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Mach-E is clearly tied to Mustang Mach 1.

• Like 1

That MME mule that's been spied looks kind of small to be an Explorer/Aviator, no? I thought that was looking more like an electric Corsair. Seems weird to introduce an EV Explorer/Aviator that isn't a full size three-row vehicle like the non-EV models. Then again before the Mach-E the Mustang name had nothing to do with an electric crossover, so I guess anything's possible lol.

1 hour ago, alterbridge86 said:

That MME mule that's been spied looks kind of small to be an Explorer/Aviator, no? I thought that was looking more like an electric Corsair. Seems weird to introduce an EV Explorer/Aviator that isn't a full size three-row vehicle like the non-EV models. Then again before the Mach-E the Mustang name had nothing to do with an electric crossover, so I guess anything's possible lol.

Because they are actually Edge and Nautilus replacements

2 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Remember that Ford is really hot right now on building distinct vehicle "families," the validation of which is bringing their portfolio in line with customer expectations from other consumer goods markets. 

Each family will be able to support 3 to 5 models, with maybe an exception or two:

F-150 Family

SuperDuty Family

Transit Family

Ranger Family

Mustang Family

Expedition Family

Explorer Family

Bronco Family

Edge Family / Fusion Family

As long as their standards and hallmarks for each brand remain focused and enforced - and they are doing a great job of this so far - it's a great strategy that maximizes consumer outreach efforts and positions the brand better that a broader portfolio of disparate products. 

Where does Escape fit? Or does it fit at all? Not suggesting it has the brand equity of some of those listed, but it's a relatively large volume product in a key segment in which Ford claim to want to be (small SUV). 

Edited by Harley Lover

37 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Where does Escape fit? Or does it fit at all? Not suggesting it has the brand equity of some of those listed, but it's a relatively large volume product in a key segment in which Ford claim to want to be (small SUV). 

I assume it will be last as it’s cheaper than edge and Explorer and the Lincoln’s and has less potential profit.  

If the mule was indeed Explorer EV rather than Edge EV, then I assume that means Ford thinks Mach E is the replacement for Edge.

We had assumed that Ford will make a square back version EV about the size of Mach E to replace Edge but maybe they don't intend to do so at all. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bzcat said:

If the mule was indeed Explorer EV rather than Edge EV, then I assume that means Ford thinks Mach E is the replacement for Edge.

We had assumed that Ford will make a square back version EV about the size of Mach E to replace Edge but maybe they don't intend to do so at all. 

But the current Explorer isn't going anywhere and there is a considerable difference in size between the Mach E C platform and the current Explorer. 

It would make far more sense for Explorer Sport BEV to be based on a larger Mach E platform then it replacing the Explorer proper, esp with the timing. 

The Mach E is about 2 inches narrower and 3 inches shorter in overall length then the Edge. Not sure if they would make the CD sized BEV taller to make it more SUV like though, since that would impact range?

Then again going by the Spy photos of the Mach E Mule here-it def has a longer wheelbase and it will def sit up higher then the MME

https://fordauthority.com/2021/07/ford-mustang-mach-e-mule-is-actually-a-future-lincoln-electric-vehicle/

Edited by silvrsvt