F-450 ride when empty

NextLevel

I asked this in another forum, but will ask here also.  For those that have 450’s, how’s the ride when empty?  I ordered a ‘22 (coming from a ‘17 350).  I drove a used ‘19 450 recently and it was horrible on the highway empty (over 60 mph).  It vibrated so bad the passenger seat was banging against the B post!  Slower speeds were fine. Many have said that is not normal, but I have had some people tell me they ride great towing but horrible empty.  

let’s hear some real world experience!

For me, this will be a daily driver…..mostly towing a 14’ enclosed trailer, (well loaded), and occasionally towing a 42’ fifth wheel.

I’m expecting a stiff ride….but there is a difference between “stiff” and rattle your brains out if you know what I mean.  I think my 350 rides great!  And yes, from what I saw, there shouldn’t be much of a difference between the 350 & 450 which is why I ordered the 450.  

I do read a lot about balancing issues though which is why I’m curious if that causes a lot of vibration problems.

I test drove a 21MY F450 before I ordered my 22MY F450 and the ride was excellent. It exceeded my expectations, so I ordered one. I haven’t received it yet but my test drive was on both city streets and on the highway. The ride was better than my current 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie. Just my .02

• Thanks 1

In June, I took delivery of my 2021 F-450. It is nothing short of an amazing truck for safely towing heavy (over 18,000 lbs.) trailers. I tow at approximately 60 miles an hour and the ride is quiet and comfortable. Bumps are not an issue. When I drive unloaded and without a trailer on the same highways the ride is still quiet and comfortable with no jarring bumps. That's because the highways I travel on are in good shape. However when I travel on rough roads with pot holes I experience a very rough ride. So, I think the answer to your question is really this - what types of roads will you be travelling on as a daily driver. If the roads are in good shape - you will be fine. Bad roads equal a rough ride. As an aside, driving empty at 75 mph, I do not experience any unusual handling or vibration.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fingerlakes said:

Just got home with our 22 F450 and I'll say the ride was very nice! I expected it to be a bouncy, rough ride but it was anything but that. A very pleasant surprise, I would say it rides better than our 2012 F350 that we had previous to this truck. 

That’s great to hear!  

On 8/31/2021 at 6:28 PM, Fingerlakes said:

Just got home with our 22 F450 and I'll say the ride was very nice! I expected it to be a bouncy, rough ride but it was anything but that. A very pleasant surprise, I would say it rides better than our 2012 F350 that we had previous to this truck. 

Fantastic report. Think that just made our decision easier.