Edge/Nautilus Dead for '23

Maybe the current Edge will be replaced by a updated version of the Everest?

Once the initial demand for the Bronco is satisfied (hardtop issues completely eliminated) the volume is most likely in the 50 to 65,000 unit/year range. This will take about 18 to 34 months!

Adding Ranger volumes will not completely fill the Wayne assembly complex. Everest just might be in the plan

edselford

51 minutes ago, edselford said:

Maybe the current Edge will be replaced by a updated version of the Everest?

Once the initial demand for the Bronco is satisfied (hardtop issues completely eliminated) the volume is most likely in the 50 to 65,000 unit/year range. This will take about 18 to 34 months!

Adding Ranger volumes will not completely fill the Wayne assembly complex. Everest just might be in the plan

edselford

Why would you think Bronco will only be 5K/month?  I think it will be twice that if not more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Why would you think Bronco will only be 5K/month?  I think it will be twice that if not more.

Jeep Wrangler is up to around 20k per month +/- a few thousand.  Even if Bronco doesn't equal that/things don't go well and Ford gets to half that, that's 10k per month.

With very limited production/hardtop issues, they're around 3k the last two months already.  Expecting it to level out at 5k seems very low.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

With Edge and Ecosport leaving, Ford certainly needs another COMPETITIVE CUV in the lineup. Probably two....a 2 row Explorer since its RWD biased, and a replacement FWD biased CUV for the subcompact segment. 

Maverick and Bronco Sport have the lower end covered nicely.  Puma would be a great product that yields little to no profit.

On the ICE side Everest would be a better replacement for Edge from a business standpoint - it would share everything with Ranger and Bronco but no factory capacity to build it in volume.  And upcoming BEVs are simply a higher priority.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

This came out on Car Buzz today.  Mind you, it is purely speculation and rumor.

https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-evos-coming-to-america-as-edge-successor

I sure hope the EVOS comes here...

I get tired of the "for China only" statement. North America gives Ford the bulk of its products and therefore should get the best like the EVOS that is dazzling with its interior and 3d effect front grill. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I sure hope the EVOS comes here...

I get tired of the "for China only" statement. North America gives Ford the bulk of its products and therefore should get the best like the EVOS that is dazzling with its interior and 3d effect front grill. 

An Evos based product would be a perfect fit for Flat Rock, since it sits lower then a CUV.

However, I don't see that happening for another 18-24 months, and at that point, I think Ford would be better served with a BEV product at that point vs ICE product that will go away in less then 10 years. 

Ford seems to be going with a two pronged approach here with products-

Current ICE or Hybrids products will be built for another 10 year or so with updates/MCEs and phased out early next decade

But they also are coming out with BEV equivalents at the same time in the next 5 years and I'd assume the ICE plants would transition over to BEVs at some point.

Plus its an insurance policy if something changes between now and then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

This came out on Car Buzz today.  Mind you, it is purely speculation and rumor.

https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-evos-coming-to-america-as-edge-successor

I like the Evos and would like to see it here;  I think it makes a good indirect Fusion successor - offering a good of cross between a sedan-like silhouette, while offering more practicality of the rear hatch.

That said, I do not think it's an appropriate Edge successor, though, with the form too low.  A 2 row BEV "Explorer" would be better, if they're determined to throw away the Edge name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I like the Evos and would like to see it here;  I think it makes a good indirect Fusion successor - offering a good of cross between a sedan-like silhouette, while offering more practicality of the rear hatch.

That said, I do not think it's an appropriate Edge successor, though, with the form too low.  A 2 row BEV "Explorer" would be better, if they're determined to throw away the Edge name.

Since Edge was always priced just below Explorer, the two row Explorer comes more into view and probably seen as more value simply by being bigger.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

An Evos based product would be a perfect fit for Flat Rock, since it sits lower then a CUV.

However, I don't see that happening for another 18-24 months, and at that point, I think Ford would be better served with a BEV product at that point vs ICE product that will go away in less then 10 years. 

Ford seems to be going with a two pronged approach here with products-

Current ICE or Hybrids products will be built for another 10 year or so with updates/MCEs and phased out early next decade

But they also are coming out with BEV equivalents at the same time in the next 5 years and I'd assume the ICE plants would transition over to BEVs at some point.

Plus its an insurance policy if something changes between now and then. 

Ford can’t just build what it wants to, it has to build vehicles that can be sold at a profit. It has sold maybe 25,000 BEV vehicles to date (I’m not counting the EV Focus) - seems like a huge gamble to basically give up introducing new ICE vehicles in the short run. I don’t see enough BEV sales in the next 6 - 8 years to make this plan succeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Ford can’t just build what it wants to, it has to build vehicles that can be sold at a profit. It has sold maybe 25,000 BEV vehicles to date (I’m not counting the EV Focus) - seems like a huge gamble to basically give up introducing new ICE vehicles in the short run. I don’t see enough BEV sales in the next 6 - 8 years to make this plan succeed.

1 hour ago, ehaase said:

Especially in rural areas where the domestic automakers are still popular. 

ICE is covered for at least another 10 or so years with current products

The issue that your missing is the auto industry has to work 5-10 years ahead of what is out now. Normally when a  product launches, within 12 months or less they are already working on the MCE/refresh that will pop up in 3-5 years. Lots of places and countries are using 2030-2035 as cut off date for ICE...that is less then 9 years away.

It makes no sense to invest in a ICE product now that won't see the light of day in 2025MY or so. 

This is also part of the reason why Ford's product plans have been all over the place for the past 7-8 years.

As for the good ole rural area argument-lets say the baseline for a BEV is 300 miles-that is how much you get out of single tank of gas in an average ICE powered vehicle. 

All that is changing (assuming you own your own home) is that you drive your car home and charge it every few days overnight instead of stopping at the gas station to fill it up, which might require you going out of your way to do so. Charging tech will improve and so will access to charging stations. It might be a major pain in the ass at this very point, but things will improve in the next 5 years with longer ranges and more places and better ways to charge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

It's priced lower, but only by $175...

Most people are going to go for the 3 row vehicle with that type of price difference. 

Actually most people who are looking at Edges don’t want 3 rows or the bigger vehicle regardless of price.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

As for the good ole rural area argument-lets say the baseline for a BEV is 300 miles-that is how much you get out of single tank of gas in an average ICE powered vehicle. 

10 years from now I expect ICE versions of Escape, Bronco Sport, Maverick, Bronco, Explorer, and probably Ranger, Transit, and Expedition to be discontinued.  But I expect a minimum of 20% and up to 50% of F150's to still be ICE based upon the conservative nature of F150 buyers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Actually most people who are looking at Edges don’t want 3 rows or the bigger vehicle regardless of price.

Exactly what we did, when my wife went from an Explorer to her current Edge.  We've had a fleet of Escapes over the years, had no need for 3 rows, and kept the "width" that the Explorer had.  As I've mentioned before, a 2-row Explorer would work for us, as long as it's OAL is shorter than the current 3-row.

HRG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It’s like they actually want a bigger (as in wider) Escape.

Despite the ST being only 10% of sales now there are a lot of ST and Sport owners who are passionate about their Edges and performance on the 2.7Leb.  A smaller Explorer would have solved that problem but Ford doesn’t seem to want to continue the 2.7L V6 in transverse form with C2 maxing out at 2.3L in the Corsair.

• Like 1