Edge/Nautilus Dead for '23

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

I like it and think it would do ok.  But something would have to get compromised to do it and Ford apparently doesn’t think it’s worth it.

I gotta believe Ford knows what they’re doing and have it all planned out nicely. I hated when they killed the fusion and focus and was questioning the company yet sedans don’t even sell like they used to so I guess Ford was right. Too bad Evos likely will never see the light of day here.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The regular Fiesta and Focus are definitely appliance cars.  The ST models aren't.  Not sure why that can't apply to Edge too.  Is it applicable to Explorer as well?

A regular non ST Fiesta or Focus with manual transmission evokes more passion from the driver than Edge ST or Explorer ST.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Good thing that Ford Performance Racing School still offers HPDE instruction using a vehicle suited for true driving enthusiasts, namely Mustang GT 6-speed manual with FR3 kit. I did a similar 1 day school in Utah a few years ago called "Octane ST Academy" that used Fiesta ST and Focus ST. Experience was awesome. 1-Day School – Ford Performance Racing School

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

A regular non ST Fiesta or Focus with manual transmission evokes more passion from the driver than Edge ST or Explorer ST.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Good thing that Ford Performance Racing School still offers HPDE instruction using a vehicle suited for true driving enthusiasts, namely Mustang GT 6-speed manual with FR3 kit. I did a similar 1 day school in Utah a few years ago called "Octane ST Academy" that used Fiesta ST and Focus ST. Experience was awesome. 1-Day School – Ford Performance Racing School

Since you ignored my request to knock it off and continued your trolling behavior, you’ve just won a 30 day vacation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I mean, it also doesn't help that if it were on a regular redesign schedule, it would've been new for '21.

Thats true, although it did get a refresh in 2019 and some interior updates last year.  But I think it’s had those big rebates even when it was relatively new.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Thats true, although it did get a refresh in 2019 and some interior updates last year.  But I think it’s had those big rebates even when it was relatively new.

Rebates are hard as that is the way Ford sells things equipment wise a 41K Edge is the same as a 38K Passport/Murano. But buyers were "getting a deal" because there was a $3000-$4000 rebate where the Passport or Murano would have $1000 rebate. Also ATP are figured before rebates so Ford can keep those high ATP prices wall street likes. 

I also don't understand the hate for the Edge, it is a solid vehicle in a lot of aspects. Everyone I know that owns them loves them for the size they are and how they drive; 150K miles is no problem for them. The biggest complaints are just that the A-Pilar is huge and outside mirrors are to small.. I think they look really good in darker colors with the ST-Line/ST.

Edited by jasonj80

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

I  also don't understand the hate for the Edge, it is a solid vehicle in a lot of aspects. Everyone I know that owns them loves them for the size they are and how they drive; 150K miles is no problem for them. The biggest complaints are just that the A-Pilar is huge and outside mirrors are to small.. I think they look really good in darker colors with the ST-Line/ST.

I know a few over 300K.  It’s really the perfect size.  If Ford wasn’t diverting resources to BEVs I think we’d already have a C2 edge with hybrid options.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I also don't understand the hate for the Edge, it is a solid vehicle in a lot of aspects. Everyone I know that owns them loves them for the size they are and how they drive; 150K miles is no problem for them. The biggest complaints are just that the A-Pilar is huge and outside mirrors are to small.. I think they look really good in darker colors with the ST-Line/ST.

Don't get it either. My Dark Grey Titanium looks pretty damn sweet...has everything on it & runs great. Rear has more room than my CX-9 with the back seat down!

I was looking for an F-150 XLT, but it was $10K more (after rebates) than my $46K Edge that I got for for $36.5K. Couldn't justify the extra cost, since I didn't really need a pickup.

18 hours ago, akirby said:

I know a few over 300K.  It’s really the perfect size.  If Ford wasn’t diverting resources to BEVs I think we’d already have a C2 edge with hybrid options.

I'm assuming those edges have the 3.5 duratec? My explorer has that engine, I've heard it's incredibly durable aside from some water pump issues that plagued earlier model years. 

52 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm assuming those edges have the 3.5 duratec? My explorer has that engine, I've heard it's incredibly durable aside from some water pump issues that plagued earlier model years. 

Yes and yes.  Both of the ones I know about made it to 300 K on the original water pump.  One just had it replaced.  That’s one reason they discontinued it for 2019.  Regular coolant changes seem to help a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 7:24 AM, rperez817 said:

Ford Edge is not a vehicle that evokes any sort of passion. In ST or Sport form, it's quick but still boring.

Nope, the wheel package and even considering the top heaviness inherent in Crossovers, it's as excellent as a Fusion Sport with better seats.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:59 AM, akirby said:

You’re comparing to the old Escape not the new one.  It’s bigger.

You're right from a numbers comparison, but I have to disagree from the broader perspective.  I have had 2003, 2017 and 2020 Escapes.  I've also had 2008, 2013, and 2017  Edges.  And, while the 2020 Escape is notably more spacious in the backseat than the 2017, the 2017 Edge (no different from the 2021 Edge) had definite advantages in luggage space, front seat size,  overall cabin volume, and perceived value (relative to the Escape).  Ford either needs to step up the Escape Titanium's game significantly or reconsider the niche space it's abandoning.  And, seriously, until the Mach-E offers repeatable, reliable 400 mile range it's just a toy.  

20 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Does the edge still have the same IP as the fusion did back in MY 2013? The one with the 2” screens on each side of the speedo?

The Edge got an update a couple of years ago, they gave it the Chinese IP/ interior as China moved to a new one 

Edited by jpd80