2022 Zephyr

On 9/2/2021 at 2:06 PM, jasonj80 said:

The only thing stopping this from being sold here is the possible blow back for building a Lincoln in China and selling it here. Is the possible perception damage worth 15K-30K in additional sales?

I don’t think it would be worth it.  I absolutely would not buy one made in China.  

On 9/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, sullynd said:

Longer warranty is one year more. Warranty isn’t a luxury item. Lincoln does not have better materials. Ford has phone as key too. 

Definitely false on not having better materials in Lincolns vs. Fords.  We own an Edge Titanium and a Continental Reserve, and I have also rented Mustangs, Explorers, Fusions, an MKZ, and an Aviator.  Lincoln indeed does have better materials, at least the midsize and up models do.  Not sure about the Corsair, but I would imagine it's similar to the MKZ.  Continental and Aviator both have soft touch leather seats that cannot be found in any Ford product, and dash and door materials are softer and better grained.  Sound deadening is better also.  Even things like welcome lighting, interior chimes, and how the doors close all have a more premium feel.  The Continental has massaging, heated, and ventilated seats available both in front and back seats, as well as rear reclining seats, 3 zone climate control, and automatic rear sunshades.  You will not find those in Ford products.

I have not been in a Mach E so maybe Ford stepped it up for that vehicle, but in my experience there is a notable quality upgrade to Lincoln interiors and far more tech and comfort features.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mustang84isu said:

Definitely false on not having better materials in Lincolns vs. Fords.  We own an Edge Titanium and a Continental Reserve, and I have also rented Mustangs, Explorers, Fusions, an MKZ, and an Aviator.  Lincoln indeed does have better materials, at least the midsize and up models do.  Not sure about the Corsair, but I would imagine it's similar to the MKZ.  Continental and Aviator both have soft touch leather seats that cannot be found in any Ford product, and dash and door materials are softer and better grained.  Sound deadening is better also.  Even things like welcome lighting, interior chimes, and how the doors close all have a more premium feel.  The Continental has massaging, heated, and ventilated seats available both in front and back seats, as well as rear reclining seats, 3 zone climate control, and automatic rear sunshades.  You will not find those in Ford products.

I have not been in a Mach E so maybe Ford stepped it up for that vehicle, but in my experience there is a notable quality upgrade to Lincoln interiors and far more tech and comfort features.

Ford did a good job with Mach E's interior, IMO, with a premium feel to it - and better than some other recent efforts.  But it's not at a Lincoln level.

• Like 3

The key point that people are forgetting is that Lincoln or other luxury makes have some snob appeal to people...

its also the same reason why Ford can sell a 100K Pickup and Lincoln can't, it also is the same reason why Ford can't sell a 80K midsized SUV as a Ford, but they can sell it as a Lincoln. 

The other thing is that for the vast majority of people-they can't make rational decisions for anything, including car purchases. I've seen this all over social media more often then not from everything from Computers to Cars. 

The other thing is that what you think isn't how everyone else thinks either. I get that some people think Lincoln is a waste-but word it as I think it is instead of saying Lincoln is a waste. Your entitled to an option, just don't make it sound like everyone else thinks the same way. That is my gripe. 

For many years most automotive entry level products or base models represent the lowest profit margin for a manufacturer. Do the differences in material equate to a many thousand of dollar premium for a premium trim level or an upscale brand? Depends on your perspective. Upgrade to better seats, improved sound deadening, premium wheels and tires can be expensive and hard to do for the average consumer. Does it cost Ford or other manufacturer that much more to make a Lincoln or other upscale brand. No, they build those products to achieve a higher return. A base Escape and a Corsair Reserve will both go from point A to point B. Will you be more comfortable in the Corsair? Will you be able to sleep at night with the lighter wallet left after buying the Corsair? Obviously Ford hopes enough people will opt for the higher levels. And if you project right, they produce enough of each for customers with each inclination.  

Edited by paintguy

3 hours ago, paintguy said:

For many years most automotive entry level products or base models represent the lowest profit margin for a manufacturer. Do the differences in material equate to a many thousand of dollar premium for a premium trim level or an upscale brand? Depends on your perspective. Upgrade to better seats, improved sound deadening, premium wheels and tires can be expensive and hard to do for the average consumer. Does it cost Ford or other manufacturer that much more to make a Lincoln or other upscale brand. No, they build those products to achieve a higher return. A base Escape and a Corsair Reserve will both go from point A to point B. Will you be more comfortable in the Corsair? Will you be able to sleep at night with the lighter wallet left after buying the Corsair? Obviously Ford hopes enough people will opt for the higher levels. And if you project right, they produce enough of each for customers with each inclination.  

The modern reality is that Ford is driven by % return on revenue, so that means Ford is prepared to cut 

the revenue and small profit from those  base model sales to improve its % return even if on lower revenue.

The thinking goes that by not producing near break even vehicles in the first places, a lot of resources 

and labor costs are saved.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:22 AM, sullynd said:

The only thing Lincoln offers that Ford does not is 62 way seats and an overstyled interior. 

Did you get splashed by a passing Continental when you were a wee lad? You seem to be blinded by a certain type of hatred of the brand that is shining brightly through your otherwise sunny disposition.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...