'21 August Sales Report

On 9/6/2021 at 11:20 PM, rmc523 said:

I wish the NHTSA would wake up and start allowing things like the matrix headlights.

I can't prove anything, but I suspect there is lobbying, rather than engineering considerations; Not Invented Here. How long dit it take them approve composite headlights?

About when the Guide Lamp Division came up with one.

5 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

I can't prove anything, but I suspect there is lobbying, rather than engineering considerations; Not Invented Here. How long dit it take them approve composite headlights?

About when the Guide Lamp Division came up with one.

probably, though I believe automakers are on the other end - they want to use the tech they already have developed for Europe and elsewhere here.

6 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

During the "Great Compression," 2008-2011, gm (no sic, they use lower case now) discontinued Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer, and should have also dropped Chevrolet-branded trucks and-body-on-frame SUVs, allowing all stores to carry the GMC brand; Chevrolet and Buick marketing all the unibody SUVs. Everyone in the world, except those working in the Renaissance Center knows that they are the same truck fundamentally, and I believe that few buyers would not have bought a GMC in the absence of a Silverado or Colorado. In rural markets, there are many Buick-GMC-Chervolet stores today, and I can't imagine any firm resistance to selling a Sierra to someone if there isn't a Silverado to their liking in stock. Many years in the last 44 gm's total full-size pickup sales were higher than F-Series, but because of their dual marketing, Ford is #1.

Having 2 brands for pickup trucks gives GM a tactical advantage over its competitors, because those brands (Chevy & GMC) are complementary, not at odds or against each other. Research from IHS Markit shows that cross shopping between the brands is infrequent. Most GMC buyers never consider a Chevy truck, even if they go to a Buick-GMC-Chevrolet store.

Per the sales data and explanations that WillSD shared in this thread, that means GM doesn't get the sales leadership "crown" for full size pickup trucks because that is brand specific, but does get the most full size pickup truck sales overall because most GMC buyers would not have purchased a Chevrolet truck anyway

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Having 2 brands for pickup trucks gives GM a tactical advantage over its competitors, because those brands (Chevy & GMC) are complementary, not at odds or against each other. Research from IHS Markit shows that cross shopping between the brands is infrequent. Most GMC buyers never consider a Chevy truck, even if they go to a Buick-GMC-Chevrolet store.

Per the sales data and explanations that WillSD shared in this thread, that means GM doesn't get the sales leadership "crown" for full size pickup trucks because that is brand specific, but does get the most full size pickup truck sales overall because most GMC buyers would not have purchased a Chevrolet truck anyway

Thats because gmc buyers like the better warranty and the Denali package and gmc grille.  Put those on a Denali Silverado and they’d continue to buy it.    Why would they go to Ram or Ford or Toyota when it’s the same truck?  Same argument for Mercury - given a choice lots of folks preferred the Mercury version but if Ford is the only choice most would go with Ford over the competition.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

Same argument for Mercury - given a choice lots of folks preferred the Mercury version but if Ford is the only choice most would go with Ford over the competition.

J.D. Power reported in 2011 that the majority of Mercury customers who bought new vehicles after the brand's closure defected to non-Ford marques. The same was true for Pontiac and Saturn customers after GM discontinued those 2 brands; most defected to non-GM brands.

Edited by rperez817

46 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

J.D. Power reported in 2011 that the majority of Mercury customers who bought new vehicles after the brand's closure defected to non-Ford marques. The same was true for Pontiac and Saturn customers after GM discontinued those 2 brands; most defected to non-GM brands.

2010 - Fusion + Milan sales - 247K

2011 - Fusion - 248k

2012 - Fusion -  241k

2013 - Fusion - 295k

2014 - Fusion - 306k

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

If there's a choice between the two, it's not surprising they pick the GMC over the Chevy/"wouldn't get the Chevy" - I agree, I've always found the Sierra to be more handsome than the Silverado.  But I'm sure if GMC didn't exist/was shut down, most would "bite the bullet" and get a Silverado.  Obviously some might defect, but I think the "switch to Chevy" rate would be quite high.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

But I'm sure if GMC didn't exist/was shut down, most would "bite the bullet" and get a Silverado.  Obviously some might defect, but I think the "switch to Chevy" rate would be quite high.

As mentioned in a previous post, when GM cancelled the Pontiac and Saturn brands, and when Ford cancelled the Mercury brand, the majority of their customers defected to another manufacturer. If General Motors was to shut down GMC, the same would likely occur.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

As mentioned in a previous post, when GM cancelled the Pontiac and Saturn brands, and when Ford cancelled the Mercury brand, the majority of their customers defected to another manufacturer. If General Motors was to shut down GMC, the same would likely occur.

Except truck buyers are far more loyal to brand/company than other buyers, and they're well aware GMC and Chevy are both GM products.  I get what you're saying, but don't believe it'd follow the same trend as those did.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Thats because gmc buyers like the better warranty and the Denali package and gmc grille.  Put those on a Denali Silverado and they’d continue to buy it.    Why would they go to Ram or Ford or Toyota when it’s the same truck?  Same argument for Mercury - given a choice lots of folks preferred the Mercury version but if Ford is the only choice most would go with Ford over the competition.

it’s funny how many people who support Lincoln do not support GMC. (Don’t mean to single you out akirby)

4 hours ago, akirby said:

2010 - Fusion + Milan sales - 247K

2011 - Fusion - 248k

2012 - Fusion -  241k

2013 - Fusion - 295k

2014 - Fusion - 306k

Nope.

There is nothing magic about GMC’s appeal - 80% of GMC buyers want the Denali trim. You can’t get the Denali features on corresponding Chevy products.  Ford does it with KR, Platinum and Limited trims.  It is exactly the same.

• Like 4