2009 Escape Hybrid LTD- Fueling Problem

GypsyG

Halfway through a 1000 mile trip I started having problems getting fuel into the tank. Each time I tried to fill up, the pump acted like I didn't have the nozel inserted & wouldn't click on to begin fueling. At one point I was able to twist the pump handle at a weird angle to get some fuel into the tank but could not get the tank full so had to keep stopping to add more. Any clues about what might casue this all of a sudden?

No idea if it's the same, but my 2007 GT500 had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a delamination "bubble" in the inlet pipe, just past where the fuel pump nozzle ended.  They replaced it and the problem went away!  It could also be a bad evap valve, allowing too much pressure to build up in the fuel tank and inlet pipe.  A good dealer should be able to diagnose the issue.  Good luck!

On 9/8/2021 at 1:05 PM, MadManMoon said:

No idea if it's the same, but my 2007 GT500 had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a delamination "bubble" in the inlet pipe, just past where the fuel pump nozzle ended.  They replaced it and the problem went away!  It could also be a bad evap valve, allowing too much pressure to build up in the fuel tank and inlet pipe.  A good dealer should be able to diagnose the issue.  Good luck!

I suggested to the dealer that it might be the EVAP but turns out it wasn't. Ended up replacing the fuel filler neck. Had no fueling issues on the 100 mile trip back home.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...