Maintenance Plan for F350D

road turtle

For the first time in my life, planning to get extended warranty, looking at 6/100,000 (given I'm working from home miles is probably too much).

I didn't even know there was a maintenance plan available.  I've been changing my own oil for decades, so this is a new one.  Looking at the cost of fuel and oil/oil filters, this looks to be pretty close to net zero.

Thoughts on the maintenance plan?

40 minutes ago, Mbrooks44 said:

I was told it’s the actually costs of services over the plan picked with a 15% discount locked in at today’s labor rates. I think the savings is probably huge if you do the basic service yourself, ignoring the value of your time. Not may discounts on them either. There are some national dealers that sell thousands of service plans and you can order through them no matter where you got your truck. They have quotes online you can use against your local dealer. 

The problem is those plans include all of those “checks and inspections” that aren’t really necessary.  Same reason dealers charge $300 for a service where all you really need is an old and filter change.  Far cheaper to just have them do the actual required services which is t much other than oil and filter changes and tire rotations for the first 100k.

• Like 1

For factory extended warranty, go with Flood Ford.

They sell the factory warranties online, for just over cost (they make $ in volume).  All the F150 guys buy the warranty from Flood Ford.  Purchased on 2 trucks as well.  My local Ford dealer covers everything under warranty no problem.

I did give my local dealer the opportunity to price match Flood Ford, but they said their F&I guy wont do it less than $500 over cost, so recommended I get the Flood Ford one.  Again, they sell the factory extended warranty, not an aftermarket warranty.

1 hour ago, Mbrooks44 said:

100% agree. I wish there was a deal on the maintenance ones as well. 

I see the maintenance on the website. Are you saying that they are not discounted the same or as much?

I don't typically ever buy warranties, but for the diesel, they actually seem pretty reasonable.

1 hour ago, theoldwizard1 said:

Regarding ANY extended warranty, read carefully what is NOT covered !

Ask questions, like an oil line breaks and the engine explodes is it still covered ?

The warranties we are looking at are Ford ESP and I am looking at the premium care which is the most extensive coverage. This is not something that I would normally consider, but for just under $3,000 for 8 yr/125K miles for a F350 diesel gets me a little interested.

Edited by Robin Hood

On 9/20/2021 at 9:16 PM, road turtle said:

OEM's don't require you use their repair shops for service, but you will want to retain receipts to prove you had (or did it yourself) work was completed.

I didn't own my 2020 for much more than a year but I recorded all my maintenance on the Ford Pass app and plan to do that again. I hope that is sufficient.

• 3 weeks later...

I took Flood ESP pricing into the dealer.  They "claimed" Flood's ESP pricing was below their cost.  HOWEVER, when we combined maintenance plan, their price was a couple hundred over Flood.

For the maintenance, doing the math and having someone else do it, literally the maintenance is prepaid oil changes.  As we are looking to spend time traveling, this takes the burden off me to plan out oil changes and being home when they need to be done.

2 hours ago, road turtle said:

I took Flood ESP pricing into the dealer.  They "claimed" Flood's ESP pricing was below their cost.  HOWEVER, when we combined maintenance plan, their price was a couple hundred over Flood.

For the maintenance, doing the math and having someone else do it, literally the maintenance is prepaid oil changes.  As we are looking to spend time traveling, this takes the burden off me to plan out oil changes and being home when they need to be done.

My dealer said the same thing. Flood was below their cost and he claimed they all pay the same. They wanted a minimum $500 over cost.

Edited by Robin Hood

Maintenance plan: don't. Seriously. I did it on my '14 Fusion. I was all happy as could be about it, blah blah blah. My brakes made it through the period, so they never got done. 90k miles on those and still looking good.

My reasoning for don't: I'm going to have to go back and read the 'covers' section. But yesterday, I went to change the air filter on my 90k Fusion. Last time service had been done by the dealership was 72k miles, I figured it was time to swap out the filter. I took a look at the filter for kicks and grins. Found the part number (yay). Then, right under the part number, I find in smaller font a 6 digit number - 140309. My Fusion was built late March/early April. I know because I special ordered it. Only way to get a manual transmission Fusion at that point. Ford wasn't floor planning any.

So - either it's a build date for the filter, or revision date for the filter. I'm guessing the former, seeing as my MPG just went way up, and it's been slowly trending downward over the last 40k miles.

If you think it's a good deal, cool, but take the time to read all the sections on what it covers, and make sure they're actually doing the services they claim they'll be doing.

I won't be getting one for my F-250. Ordered late September. Just got a build date of week of November 8.