Troubles with Maverick launch

10 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

OK, who got tired of waiting?

HRG

Mav XL stolen.png

Not me! 

Actually, I am surprised that Ford doesn't have GPS located in all of their preproduction trucks for a couple of reasons. 1. To keep track of any inside information that may be contained in the vehicle. 2. I would assume it would be a test bed for their fleet management service.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Didn’t realize until now how nearly identical it is size wise to the old Ranger

It’s truly amazing to think that Maverick grew from C2 Transit Connect and that side by side

with a pre T6 Ranger shows me that Ford has absolutely nailed it. I’m absolutely lovin’ it.

I would love to see a full review against the Hyundai Santa Cruz, that would be interesting.

I said it before and I will say it again. Ford screwed up by making Maverick a regional product like they did with Puma. This truck is going to have worldwide appeal. Pickup truck is now the fastest growing vehicle segment in China (!) for example due to Govt policy change that now allow pickup trucks to be driven in urban areas.

Maverick will effectively replace EcoSport in North America... would have been interesting to see how it does as entry level Ford in other places. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I said it before and I will say it again. Ford screwed up by making Maverick a regional product like they did with Puma. This truck is going to have worldwide appeal. Pickup truck is now the fastest growing vehicle segment in China (!) for example due to Govt policy change that now allow pickup trucks to be driven in urban areas.

Maverick will effectively replace EcoSport in North America... would have been interesting to see how it does as entry level Ford in other places. 

The thing is that it’s easier to move NA products overseas for sale then the other way around IMO. 

The issue with the Puma is that it would be priced too close to the Escape to make it worth while and the NA market doesn’t buy smaller products unless they are cheap. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The thing is that it’s easier to move NA products overseas for sale then the other way around IMO. 

The issue with the Puma is that it would be priced too close to the Escape to make it worth while and the NA market doesn’t buy smaller products unless they are cheap. 

Puma’s pricing has not been a problem for European Kuga sales.

What Ford Europe pitches as the entry  Puma is actually more like Titanium spec and pricing

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

Ecosport should have remained a South American centric product.

Ford Europe should have  transformed B-Max into Puma a decade ago.

How is it that GM had Trax/Encore last decade while Ford pushed Ecosport.

The thinking behind not doing that is the problem and still is.

Instead of axing a wrong choice vehicle, Ford tends to keep it there

even with low sales as a way of recovering the developed costs and

staving off the cost of a proper replacement (MKT=Aviator, C-Max=Hybrid Escape)

The heads that approved Maverick don’t know how good it is because they never 

envisioned its use in Europe or ROW, what kind of global products manager does

that?     Answer is one working off seven year old data.

Edited by jpd80

20 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

If Ford would get rid of the 1.5 L Escape S and make the 2023 Escape like the Maverick with only 2 engine options....hybrid and 2.0 L, then there would be price room for the Puma. So the cheapest Escape SE Hybrid would be about $30,000 leaving room for cheapest Puma around $24,000. With Puma, Escape, and BS, Ford won't need any one to do heavy listing as in 300,000/year as before. And Ford covers the sub and compact CUV segment very well. Puma is a great name and Ford's best seller in Europe. With the Focus gone, Puma would be attractive to former Focus owners and $25,000 price point is affordable to many.

• Like 1

Hyundai Kona, Buick Encore, Honda HR-V etc are not *cheap* per se. They sell for about the same price that Ford is asking for Maverick (although Maverick goes higher).

I think a regionalized Puma made in Mexico will not cost more than the competitors. The issue with Puma was the previous management at Ford decided North America will follow the (now cancelled) EcoSport program in Brazil so Puma was reduced to Europe only. I think if Farley was in charge back in 2017, he would have brought Puma to the US and scuttled the EcoSport early. 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 5:43 PM, bzcat said:

Hyundai Kona, Buick Encore, Honda HR-V etc are not *cheap* per se. They sell for about the same price that Ford is asking for Maverick (although Maverick goes higher).

I think a regionalized Puma made in Mexico will not cost more than the competitors. The issue with Puma was the previous management at Ford decided North America will follow the (now cancelled) EcoSport program in Brazil so Puma was reduced to Europe only. I think if Farley was in charge back in 2017, he would have brought Puma to the US and scuttled the EcoSport early. 

I think the view has been Puma would be too expensive and that a cheaper EcoSport would be better here - to which I disagree - much like Europeans rejected the original cheap EcoSport, US buyers want a quality, inexpensive product, but not just "cheap."  It seems entrants in that segment need to be a bit funky/unique (think Kia Soul), and Puma seems far better in that regard than EcoSport ever was.

You mentioned regionalized/built in Mexico - not sure where it'd go?  Cuatitlan (I can never spell that right) has Mach E/BEV production - unlikely it gets an ICE product back.  Hermosillo has Bronco Sport and now Maverick, and potentially Transit Connect.......there's no room for it there, unless TC gets built somewhere else.

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I think the view has been Puma would be too expensive and that a cheaper EcoSport would be better here - to which I disagree - much like Europeans rejected the original cheap EcoSport, US buyers want a quality, inexpensive product, but not just "cheap."  It seems entrants in that segment need to be a bit funky/unique (think Kia Soul), and Puma seems far better in that regard than EcoSport ever was.

In the grand scheme of things the Maverick is both funky and unique and apparently Ford can make money off a $19999 Hybrid of it.  

I just don't see how B sized products actually can work in the US. Just checking this chart out, most models only sell around 5K units a month

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2021-us-small-suv-sales-figures/#monthlysales

One interesting thing to note on that sales chart, is that it looks like the Honda CR-V sales are getting eaten into by the HR-V sales...or maybe its the Passport also?

Edited by silvrsvt

30 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

In the grand scheme of things the Maverick is both funky and unique and apparently Ford can make money off a $19999 Hybrid of it.  

I just don't see how B sized products actually can work in the US. Just checking this chart out, most models only sell around 5K units year

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2021-us-small-suv-sales-figures/#monthlysales

One interesting thing to note on that sales chart, is that it looks like the Honda CR-V sales are getting eaten into by the HR-V sales...or maybe its the Passport also?

I think Maverick will do well, but that it'd also be good to have another crossover form in the lower end.  But I guess Ford figures Maverick+Bronco Sport can pick up those segments.

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

But I guess Ford figures Maverick+Bronco Sport can pick up those segments.

The Bronco Sport is a premium product vs the Escape and Maverick. 

I wonder if Ford would do a CUV based on the Maverick, but I’m also not sure how it would make it different enough and more affordable then the Escape/BS either, just seems redundant 

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Bronco Sport is a premium product vs the Escape and Maverick. 

I wonder if Ford would do a CUV based on the Maverick, but I’m also not sure how it would make it different enough and more affordable then the Escape/BS either, just seems redundant 

I'm meaning size wise.

23 hours ago, akirby said:

They had one and cancelled it.

Honestly there just isn’t a lot of profit to be had in this space so I think they’re just diverting resources to BEVs.

Chinese Territory is an interesting vehicle, similar length and wheelbase of Escape with the extra width of Edge.

While not intended for North America, it shows how the lines between compact and mid sized can be blurred..