Official Ford Next Gen Ranger Tease Video

Although I seem to keep losing many of my longer posts and getting frustrated as a result, my cousin in product planning told me last night that the USDM Ranger is considered "P703N" and it won't go into production until May 2023.

So don't expect it in showrooms next year either? Says that the current truck to his knowledge ends production in April 2023. @fuzzymoomoo may or may not know about this.

He said much more as well to me.

19 hours ago, JX1 said:

Although I seem to keep losing many of my longer posts and getting frustrated as a result, my cousin in product planning told me last night that the USDM Ranger is considered "P703N" and it won't go into production until May 2023.

So don't expect it in showrooms next year either? Says that the current truck to his knowledge ends production in April 2023. @fuzzymoomoo may or may not know about this.

He said much more as well to me.

That’s why current US Ranger was given certain upgrades over the last global facelift,

it was always understood that the NG version of US Ranger would be approx +12 months 

from global NG.

• Like 1

On the Ranger Raptor powertrain, assuming it does get the 3.0L EB, has the argument ever been resolved over the engine block material? Seems to me there has always been some confusion as to whether or not the 3.0L shares the CGI engine block with the 2.7L Nano or if it was changed to an all aluminum block. I'm of the opinion that it does have a CGI block with an AL girdle between the block and the composite oil pan, same as 2.7. That makes the most sense to me especially considering that both engines are built at the Lima engine plant. Can any Lima employees confirm that?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

I had an article from Ford Authority pop up on facebook this morning stating the NG Ranger wouldn't show up in

the US until July of 2023. I hope it's wrong, but I'm sure it's not. I'll post it once I find again, but someone else will probably beat me to it.

Like everything, things got pushed and moved around with supply issues and COVID delays. July 2023 is not that far away in automotive years, less than 2 years and will be around 18 months from when the global Ranger is shown. MY2024 would also time with a Bronco MCE, so electrical/data architectures and such will be updated to support more technology and stay common with the Ranger suppliers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Like everything, things got pushed and moved around with supply issues and COVID delays. July 2023 is not that far away in automotive years, less than 2 years and will be around 18 months from when the global Ranger is shown. MY2024 would also time with a Bronco MCE, so electrical/data architectures and such will be updated to support more technology and stay common with the Ranger suppliers.

That all makes perfect sense, and will make for a better truck too. I just kept reading May of next year as a MY2023.

I figured they were trying to get both vehicles on the same modified platform as soon as they could. I think I can wait another year......

I just don't want to....lol

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:58 PM, jpd80 said:

That’s why current US Ranger was given certain upgrades over the last global facelift,

it was always understood that the NG version of US Ranger would be approx +12 months 

from global NG.

But everyone seemed so certain otherwise it was gonna parallel the global Ranger. I knew that not to be so true, as there was clearly gonna be a gap.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:13 PM, T-dubz said:

I was expecting/hoping that it would be a MY23 and come out in 22. Guess not

End of 2022 was the plan originally, it probably slipped like new Mustang.

8 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I had an article from Ford Authority pop up on facebook this morning stating the NG Ranger wouldn't show up in

the US until July of 2023. I hope it's wrong, but I'm sure it's not. I'll post it once I find again, but someone else will probably beat me to it.

This is the exact same thing I said here above, because the source of that inside info is probably my own source, who told me this personally and much more.

7 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Not quite, as that's not the intent either. The Bronco MCA (Mid Cycle Action) was also provided to me by my own Ford source and it isn't that soon. My source told me this info a few days ago, before he went "official" I guess per recent reports.

Bronco is part of that too, but I guess he withheld it from publication.

I am told by the source July 2023 is the latest estimate, based on distribution chain. Job 1 is May 2023.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JX1 said:

But everyone seemed so certain otherwise it was gonna parallel the global Ranger. I knew that not to be so true, as there was clearly gonna be a gap.

End of 2022 was the plan originally, it probably slipped like new Mustang.

This is the exact same thing I said here above, because the source of that inside info is probably my own source, who told me this personally and much more.

Not quite, as that's not the intent either. The Bronco MCA (Mid Cycle Action) was also provided to me by my own Ford source and it isn't that soon. My source told me this info a few days ago, before he went "official" I guess per recent reports.

Bronco is part of that too, but I guess he withheld it from publication.

I am told by the source July 2023 is the latest estimate, based on distribution chain. Job 1 is May 2023.

When is "isn't that soon" ?

17 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Here’s a new shot of the interior. Appears to be a large screen that extends below the camo. Possibly the same screen as the mach e. Also the digital IP looks similar to the F150’s.2023-ford-ranger-large-infotainment-scre2023-ford-ranger-large-infotainment-scre2023-ford-ranger-large-infotainment-scre

https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/2023-ford-rangers-large-infotainment-screen-design-details-revealed.6935/

I feel like that has to be a screen in between the sizes of the Edge/Explorer and the Mach E/Expy.  If they can't even integrate it that well on the bigger Expy/Lightning, it's not going to fit that nicely here.

I wonder if this is the Bronco's 12" flipped vertically?

1 hour ago, JX1 said:

Everyone?
By people with no knowledge of available program resources or the development sequence?

Obviously not the case when the US requested a Ranger after the final global MCE was done,

that vehicle was given upgrades over the global vehicle exactly because it had to go longer.

You also have T6 Bronco development in front of new Ranger and then the Nth American 

version from that - all of these things cannot be done at the same time.

I’ve been saying Bronco Raptor for at least three years as the Raptor modules were grouped

across three vehicles to get it over the line…….and then people say no no no it’s Warthog…pfft.

So hard to guide folks without misleading  ahead of time…..

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I’ve been saying Bronco Raptor for at least three years as the Raptor modules were grouped

across three vehicles to get it over the line…….and then people say no no no it’s Warthog…pfft.

I think the reason most people think it's Bronco Warthog instead of Bronco Raptor is because Ford's Mike Levine tweeted hints to it lots of times. He posted pictures of the Warthog plane with 'brrrt' and lots of other cryptic posts indicating that it was going to be the Bronco Warthog. There was an insider or two here that also mentioned Bronco Warthog as well.

1 hour ago, pffan1990 said:

I think the reason most people think it's Bronco Warthog instead of Bronco Raptor is because Ford's Mike Levine tweeted hints to it lots of times. He posted pictures of the Warthog plane with 'brrrt' and lots of other cryptic posts indicating that it was going to be the Bronco Warthog. There was an insider or two here that also mentioned Bronco Warthog as well.

And then like magic the CEO posts a link to Bronco Raptor 

Could it be that Warthog is something different again?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

And then like magic the CEO posts a link to Bronco Raptor 

Could it be that Warthog is something different again?

Who knows, but he hinted that the Warthog was going to be the high performance variant which ended up being Raptor. He hasn't referenced the Warthog in his Tweets, that I know of, since the announcement of Raptor when the CEO posted that short video teaser. Some are now theorizing that the Warthog could be something different such as the Bronco electric, perhaps. Like the Lightning being electric F-150, Warthog could be electric Bronco. Who knows but we shall see in the coming year or two.

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Everyone?
By people with no knowledge of available program resources or the development sequence?

You are exempt from that group, because while I did (since 2019) expect P703 -  Late 2021, P703N - Late 2022, a lot of media speculation and discussion around anything Ranger - oriented, partly even here, had this misbegotten idea they were coming out at the same time and not 1 year apart.

I have always known that staggered release to be true and became curious of the 12/13/21 Job 1 for MY 2022. Ford USA are making a roster of minor changes for P375N, plus due to chip situation, it explains the late year SOP.

Talking with my source back in late 2018, I was surprised/pleased to learn about P703 and had a hunch after the MAP built 2019 Ranger debuted at NAIAS 2018, there was still more to come thankfully and the VW connection was related to a fully redesigned vehicle.

Media kept claiming that the current Ranger = VW Amarok basis.

In 2018, a lot of Americans were very disappointed, to see the dumb media hype in 2016-17 didn't prove to be correct about a fully redesigned, all-new Ranger coming to NAIAS 2018. Nor was Raptor coming to USA.

Myself included, but once I connected the dots and quietly expected a 4 year run, I calmed down. Others didn't calm down and/or found different ways to chastise the same truck (T6), they were ever so desperate for after the Yuma platform Ranger died at the end of 2011. Yet once they got it, all of sudden the interior was "sub-par". When that wasn't the case before and it was well regarded.

When I heard about the Raptor going V6, I knew from my source that it would be 2024 MY at earliest and figured that would be when P375N would be replaced. He then told me, they were finishing up P703 design work and choosing final designs and would be done very soon, since Bronco final design had just been locked down for December 7, 2020 Job 1 and decided on the past summer.

In January 2019, started hearing reports about Ranger Raptor Ecoboost leaking out. In February 2019, got to see the leak from Wheels Magazine of that clay model.

I was certain Ford wanted to run P375N at around 4ish years, before switching to P703N, but get it out at end of 2022. My source was right, as that was the intent. Seems like a half year delay, as production was planned for fall of 2022 originally at MAP. Now it's May 1, 2023.

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Obviously not the case when the US requested a Ranger after the final global MCE was done,

that vehicle was given upgrades over the global vehicle exactly because it had to go longer.

You also have T6 Bronco development in front of new Ranger and then the Nth American 

version from that - all of these things cannot be done at the same time.

We are totally on the same page regarding Warthog LOL and that absolutely makes me smile, because I just knew that wasn't a thing in place of Bronco Raptor, thanks to my source. 

But I always had a hunch that the P703N for North America wasn't due to arrive as quickly and I was shocked when you were limited to knowing "when", but respected that because of your cordiality and high credibility.

I think I'm more annoyed that other people's loud hopeful wishes for 2022 launch, got in the way of me being more realistic of when to expect it.

Edited by JX1

Thank you for your kind words, I’m not that connected to sources anymore, Ranger is critical to Ford in ROW.

The fact that 703N is another year on the global vehicle also speaks of how much regionalisation 

is baked into that decision, something the T6 engineering team executes well.

The best thing that happened for Ranger was the Bronco, it justifies expanding equipment and opportunities.

i just hope Ford takes full advantage of the coming developments, there’s an eager market waiting…….

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Or it was just an internal development name for it. Like the Terminator for the older Mustang GT500 or I believe Road Runner was used for the current Mach 1. 

I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

Ford trademarked Warthog, so it was at the very least at some point a consideration for the full on name.  It may also be true that they decided to stick with Raptor some time ago, and kept Warthog as an internal name - I recall us seeing "warthog shock cover" scribbled on parts in early spy shots, so at minimum it was certainly used internally.......that getting out may have further led Ford to throw people off the Raptor scent with the "BRRRT" camo.  And, given how Ford has teased things with Bronco's camo before, it wasn't wrong for people to assume Warthog was the name.

Ultimately, with what we can see setup wise with the much wider track and whatnot, it definitely seems to follow the Raptor formula of modifications for more high speed desert running as opposed to rock crawling, so it's not as if they're jamming a square peg in a round hole with using the Raptor name.

It also leaves room/potential for them to use Warthog on something else - say a more rock crawl-oriented model - should they choose.

• Like 1