What does it mean when a competing brand offers to get you out of lease early into one of their vehicles?

So, I have a 2019 Lincoln MKZ that I have been leasing.  The lease ends in 7 months.

I started getting letters two months ago from competing dealerships (I think Kia of Hyundai) offering to get me out of my lease and into one of their vehicles.

How is this done?  The bank has to get their money on the lease and I can’t see a competing car company benefiting from paying off over 7 months of lease payments and putting me in one of their vehicles at no additional cost to me.

Even Genesis wants to talk to me about the possibility of getting out of my current lease into one of their vehicles.  

Does this sound too good to be true?

Not exactly the same situation as you are describing, but I made out like a bandit in late June when my GLE came in early.  I was 1.5 years into a two year lease on my 2020 Aviator (good riddance) and the selling dealer took it off my hands AND cut me a cheque for thousands. Now, it was in showroom condition with only 6,500 miles, but still. 

I mention this to you because the Mercedes dealer, despite also wanting the Aviator desperately for their used lot, could not get the Lincoln dealer to answer the phone to coordinate the payout/transfer.  Apparently they have the right of first refusal.  

If they are trying to get your current vehicle for their pre-owned lot, it may be easier said than done. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

I have 6 months left on my lease.  Took my vehicle to Lincoln after they sent me an email saying they are looking to buy leased vehicles.  However, sadly, they told me there was no demand for a Hybrid vehicle at this time and it wouldn't be cost-effective for them to buy my vehicle.

So, outside of buying the vehicle and reselling it (which would cost me $2k in taxes and then document fees), there doesn't seem to be a way to get out of the lease.

I'll just wait things out.