Tesla Probe to include help from other automakers

I expect only one of two things to happen here. The conclusion and penalty will be either a slap on the wrist or severe enough that it will spur a ton of class action lawsuits against Tesla. I don't think there will be any middle ground on this one.

I for one am pushing for severe. Why you ask? Beta testing poor developed technology in production to cars sold to consumers, which could kill people, just so you can appease Wall Street investors. Also, selling it as one thing and then sneaking signatures in the final paper work to say that it isn't what we told you it was. The shadiness that Tesla runs behind in regards to safety and quality standard is ridiculous. They need to be taken to task just like every other automaker would. Refusing to cooperate or letting consumers speak to investigators, shows they have a ton to hide. 

There is so much money invested in Tesla right now, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were paying people off to look the other way on this investigation. When it comes to this much money and folks impacted, nothing would surprise me.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

I expect only one of two things to happen here. The conclusion and penalty will be either a slap on the wrist or severe enough that it will spur a ton of class action lawsuits against Tesla. 

The 2nd is almost inevitable at this point. Tesla is currently party to over 1,000 lawsuits. Several Autopilot related lawsuits have been filed in the past 9 months. Tesla, Inc. (plainsite.org)

I think we are seeing the end of the hands off approach to autonomous driving regulation that has been ongoing for the last several years.  Tesla has been promoting "Full Self Driving" now since 2016 and is not anywhere close to the SAE Level 5 type of autonomy that they have been implying through tweets and even videos of Musk driving with his hands off the wheel.  I hope the Feds throw the book at them--playing with people's lives so you can cut corners and boost your stock price is a road they should have never been allowed to go down.  Ford, GM Cruise, Waymo, and others are doing it the right way and it will pay off in the long-term.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mustang84isu said:

I think we are seeing the end of the hands off approach to autonomous driving regulation that has been ongoing for the last several years.  Tesla has been promoting "Full Self Driving" now since 2016 and is not anywhere close to the SAE Level 5 type of autonomy that they have been implying through tweets and even videos of Musk driving with his hands off the wheel.

Yes sir mustang84isu. Sadly, Tesla's irresponsible marketing of "Full Self Driving" and "Autopilot" may have slowed the eventual deployment of 100% autonomous vehicles (SAE Level 5).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir mustang84isu. Sadly, Tesla's irresponsible marketing of "Full Self Driving" and "Autopilot" may have slowed the eventual deployment of 100% autonomous vehicles (SAE Level 5).

The only thing slowing it down is the limitations of the technology that some of us have been pointing out for years and which even the experts have now acknowledged.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

The only thing slowing it down is the limitations of the technology that some of us have been pointing out for years and which even the experts have now acknowledged.

The NHTSA Tesla probe discussed in this thread, and the potential legal fallout from it, may slow down deployment of SAE Level 5 AV in the following contexts.

1. Regulation of real world AV testing efforts by automakers, suppliers, and others is likely to be more restrictive from now on, as mustang84isu mentioned. Exemptions to existing motor vehicle regulations that government agencies previously allowed to accelerate testing of AV on public roads may no longer be granted.
  2. Tesla's misleading marketing of its "Autopilot" and "Full Self Driving" options may erode public trust and confidence in ADAS and AV technologies.
  3. Depending on how NHTSA proceeds with the probe, the other 12 major automakers may modify their engineering and testing approaches for ADAS and AV technologies.

• 3 months later...

My son has a Model 3 and did not opt for the autonomous driving option. We had a long discussion about it and in the end as a new driver was not willing to pay the overpriced price for that option. He opted for a long-range model instead.  He still can add the hands-free at a late date but I'm really hoping he doesn't. Call me old-fashioned but I've been driving for 43 years and still do not fully feel comfortable taking my hands off the wheel when driving, even to check if my front tires are pulling to one side or the other.  This mess with the Tesla lawsuit just cements my thoughts it was a way for Tesla to make money off of individuals overcome with the technology of the car, and not taking into account that software malfunctions and hardware breaks.  Hopefully, this all works out for the best, and Tesla figures out a way to make it safer. 

• Like 1