Let's talk 5th wheel hitches.....

I have used a Reese 18,000 lb hitch for 9 yrs. Fits the Ford 5th wheel prep easily with no obstructions in the box. Installed and removed in a couple of minutes. It drops into the 4 holes in the bed, legs rotate 90 degrees and are secured with pins. Yes, it is heavy, but does come apart into 2 pieces for ease of installation/removal. I no longer can safely lift it into the truck, but our son & SIL have no problem.

Once hitched, the handle is secured with a pin. If pin cannot be installed, the connection isn't safe. I painted the jaw at the rear end for better visual inspection in the dark.

No height adjustment, but height work perfectly for our 5th wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I know everyone has already said it, but the B&W Companion is the way to go.  It is well built, and easy to adjust to the desired height.  In regards to removal/Installation, it is very simple, the only downside is the weight of it.  Personally I just leave it in the bed unless I know I am going to need my entire bed to haul something.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 2:14 PM, gerstner5 said:

I know everyone has already said it, but the B&W Companion is the way to go.  It is well built, and easy to adjust to the desired height.  In regards to removal/Installation, it is very simple, the only downside is the weight of it.  Personally I just leave it in the bed unless I know I am going to need my entire bed to haul something.

aluminum Anderson 19k?

558F4434-1342-4D20-8F3D-550605B8BE56.jpeg

Edited by TruckBuilderBob

What is that thing for, I don't understand how you you could use that for anything.

That won't work for the fifth wheel because it has a ball and a gooseneck goes down to the bed to the ball. I'm going to have to Google that just to figure out how is used (YouTube time!)

Gooseneck hitch for lowriders??

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 11:13 AM, road turtle said:

I ordered B&W based on discussion with friends that tow 5th wheels.

There are people that love the Anderson due to it's light weight, but a good friend showed my a bunch of photos where the Anderson literally collapsed in accidents.  His point struck harmony with me, are you going to depend on and bet your life of that hitch holding in a bad accident?  He was in an accident with with work 18 wheeler, where he was forced into a ditch and immediately stopped.  He said, can you imagine that hitch holding up in the type of accident he had?

I agree…   You could be making yourself vulnerable with the light weight Anderson Hitch.  

thank you

So I went and looked at a bunch of RV forums and search Google pictures, and watch some YouTube videos about these Anderson and pullrite hitches.

I still do not understand them, if you have a fifth wheel why not just go with a fifth wheel hitch they seem so much stronger and safer and they are tried-and-true. What would be the reason for going with one of these mentioned hitches?

What is the benefit to going with one of these hitches? Is it cost, or weight, or maneuverability? And I don't see it, you look at standard 5th wheel hitches they're made out of some heavy steel 4 connection points to the truck frame and some of those are only rated to 15,000 pounds. The Anderson tubesteel frame doesn't seem to attach as strong or it goes down to the goose ball and also looks to be not as beefy where it connects to the trailer

From what you guys have told me I'm going to go with the B W hitch and get the highest capacity one they sell....

Or am I looking at this wrong?

With the way my mind works, if I buy something for the Bobcat, the tractor, rigging equipment or Towing I always buy something heavier, stronger or more capacity than what I need. Heck I don't even need an F-350 from the towing capacities of an F-150 in 2022 (14k) I could have done it with that but I like that safety Factor.

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Like 1

That Anderson hit I was asking about and posted the picture of it,,, is dangerous.  There are times of images on the Internet that show it collapsed during accidents and trucks overtaken by their rig.  

that one is definitely not for me.  I will be pulling a trailer equal to my trucks reduced gvwr of 11400, fully loaded.  I don’t want 20k lbs coming through my back window!  ??

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TruckBuilderBob said:

And that’s 20,000 lbs coming right through your back window.  

I looked at some of those pictures you are talking about and I thank you again for your post road turtle ?

Friend of mine, over the road truck driver was in a bad accident.  He is suffering from brain trauma, not unlike a professional boxer.  He was forced off the road by a RV transporter who crossed over to on coming traffic, and ended up going straight into a ditch where his truck was instantly stopped.  His point was, can you imagine that accident with an anderson hitch?

Elevator, the anderson hitch is substantially lighter weight.  I won't pick up a B&W as a complete unit, they are HEAVY.  I separate the hitch from the base to move it out of the truck.

• Thanks 1

My heart is heavy for your friend Road Turtle.

I’m an 82nd Airborne Paratrooper.  My right shoulder took a hit while in service. Now it works at 10%.  So a few months ago a fellow Veteran showed me his Anderson hitch and I’ve been looking at them since.   I’m glad I met you guys…  I’ve already shared the word with my friend.   He’s not pulling right now but he and I both will be looking for the right equipment.  

thanks again Road Turtle

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 7:32 PM, TruckBuilderBob said:

My heart is heavy for your friend Road Turtle.

I’m an 82nd Airborne Paratrooper.  My right shoulder took a hit while in service. Now it works at 10%.  So a few months ago a fellow Veteran showed me his Anderson hitch and I’ve been looking at them since.   I’m glad I met you guys…  I’ve already shared the word with my friend.   He’s not pulling right now but he and I both will be looking for the right equipment.  

thanks again Road Turtle

Thank you for your service!

you gotta do what you gotta do.  Find a pulley to lift in and out of the truck.  I have heard of some leaving it attached to the pin box and lifting it out of the truck bed attached.  Separated I can easily manage the two halves.

My friend, the RV hauler that caused the accident was carrying personal insurance, which was instantly denied.  He also literally filed for bankruptcy within a week of causing the accident.  Based on the description of what happened, I'm guessing the hauler was texting, didn't see the car stopped in front of him and served in the oncoming traffic.  My friend did his best to avoid hitting the hauler, but clipped him enough to force his truck off the shoulder into the ditch.

• Thanks 1

This belongs to another friend of mine.  Mounted in the Bed of his truck and lifts his wheel chair in and out of the truck!

And also thank you very much Road Turtle. Thank you for your service too ?

There is another one I looked at that tucked in when not being used. That was a very good choice as well. 

?. We have options up to 450 lbs

I really like the idea of leaving it hooked to the fifth wheel!  Haha!   Maybe?!!

I’m serious Road Turtle.  

my friends and I and with the help of everybody here, we are going to figure out each short coming we have, overcome them and be out boondocking and camping in the federal parks and lands by 2023 and with a lot of closer and short trial runs until then.  We each will have some support of Truck and with mine there will be a couple Ford, both with winches?. And with two winches, you can do anything and go anywhere ?.  I know a lotta guys use their trucks to get out and I think it’s ? ????

if you’re interestedi can share some other things I have lined up too…

10 minutes ago, JC2014 said:

There is also a hoist that is made to go into your trucks bumper receiver to lift game into or out of your bed if it can handle a 200lb deer it will lift your fifth wheel hitch

opplanet-hme-products-truck-hitch-game-hoist-complete-kit-w-winch-gambrel-hme-hh-main.jpg

I like this!

And I have found in my life that anything with gears for a hand crank can be adapted with motor to power!   This one is simple light and efficient.  Plus a little less than the other $4k model.  ? 

i also like that this one is outside the truck.  I want to eventually  want to install an easy glide pull out for the Bed.  With the 6.75’ bed I can put in one of the f150 shorted units in there.  That will give me enough room in front of it for extra water, fuel and made a backup generator.  
This plan is one I really want but count have both the pull out and the in bed Power lift. 

thank you JC2014

thank you