2018 Ford Edge Engine Problem

Murphys mom

Hello Everyone!

I'm in need of some guidance. I just bought a 2018 ford edge SEL. I had it for 6 days and the check engine light came on. I found out the engine had to be replaced.( the car has 37,000 miles) Ford is currently expediating the orders for the parts needed but I have my doubts about the car now. My previous 4 cars have all been fords and we have never had any problems with them. I am without the car for 2 weeks (hopefully) and I was informed that I couldn't get a loaner because there wasn't any available, however if I got a rental on my own Ford would issue me a check to reimburse me... I did not have the 1800 to get a rental on my own. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue with the engine. Sad to say, I don't have confidence in taking the car back. I'm worried about 3 years down the road that the engine will go again or something else.... When I brought the car back into the dealers to have the light checked, I was told I would get a text. When hours had gone with no response from a text, I called the service representative, only to get another service representative and he said he would have someone call me back. When I was informed that the car needed a new engine and I had questions... they were unable to answer some of them. I asked to have someone call me and not a text about my options. I was given a call the following day. I still have questions about coverage and the warranty and I was told I would get a call with answers. Still waiting. Any advice? Return the car and go somewhere else?  

Welcome to the club (unfortunately).  I assume this is the coolant issue which is common on 2015-2018 1.5 and 2.0 Ecoboost engines.  There was a flaw in the engine block that has since been corrected, so once replaced it should be better than new.

But I’m confused as to how a 2 week rental could cost $1800?

I've got a 2018 Escape that had to have the engine replaced, due to the Coolant Intrusion problem.  The good news is, I've got 14K on it after the replacement, with no issues.

If your 2018 Edge has 37K on it, it should still be under the 5 year/60K mile powertrain warranty.  Let them replace the engine, and get a fresh start with it.

HRG

2018 Edge Warranty.JPG

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Welcome to the club (unfortunately).  I assume this is the coolant issue which is common on 2015-2018 1.5 and 2.0 Ecoboost engines.  There was a flaw in the engine block that has since been corrected, so once replaced it should be better than new.

But I’m confused as to how a 2 week rental could cost $1800?

There is a shortage of rental cars since rental car companies decided to dump their fleets due to Covid last year. Over the summer in Chicago people were paying 200/day to rent a Corolla. My boss came to the office from NY and was told he was not to get a rental car. All uber/taxis/black cars would be expensed but not rentals. It's not like there is a surplus of cars for rental companies to restock. So here we are.

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

There is a shortage of rental cars since rental car companies decided to dump their fleets due to Covid last year. Over the summer in Chicago people were paying 200/day to rent a Corolla. My boss came to the office from NY and was told he was not to get a rental car. All uber/taxis/black cars would be expensed but not rentals. It's not like there is a surplus of cars for rental companies to restock. So here we are.

Holy crap.

• 6 months later...