How Big is This Lug Nut Problem?

16 minutes ago, Blackdiamond925 said:

I'm planning to take the truck to Mexico for extended periods and I don't want surprises with dodgy parts. Should I just replace the lug nuts on delivery or is this swollen nut problem something to think about down the road?

It won't happen right away and usually happens due to removal of the lug nut with an impact wrench that damages the cover and then water gets in there and causes the steel nut to begin to rust. The rust begins to build up which causes the chromed cover to begin to swell. Two remedies come to mind;

A.) Don't use an impact gun

B.) Buy full chrome lug nuts and replace them when they begin to swell.

• Like 3

I don't understand why Ford is still using these lug nuts.. it really sucked when I went to put my powerstop brakes on my 2015 F150 last year and i couldn't get half the lugs off without using a incorrect size socket.. Truck sat for 2 days with the front wheels off because 3 lugs on each side were shot. 

I was at the dealer and heard them talking about this issue a while back. It sounded like when this happens at the dealer and the techs try to take them off, they take them off from the back ie back out the bolt itself.

sounds like it’s a really common issue, especially if you’re taking it to someone to rotate your tires.

• 4 weeks later...

But the lug nuts are part of what holds the center cap on so with this new set of lugs will they hold the center caps on. That is if your using the OEM caps. If you like the new caps on the 17-22 you need the nuts from that year. I changed my caps on a 2014 & needed to change the lug nuts to hold the new caps on. 

• Like 1

Not only do the lug nuts hold the caps on they are not regular acorn lug nuts. They are torque retaining lug nuts with a flat face that make contact with the wheel not conical. The correct thread pitch is 14x1.5 I always carry a 22mm socket with me as well just in case i need to get the lug nuts off and they are swollen.

3 hours ago, acdebacanm said:

Not only do the lug nuts hold the caps on they are not regular acorn lug nuts. They are torque retaining lug nuts with a flat face that make contact with the wheel not conical. The correct thread pitch is 14x1.5 I always carry a 22mm socket with me as well just in case i need to get the lug nuts off and they are swollen.

I've only had the truck a few days. If you take off the wheel caps, does it look bad? Does replacing the lug nuts mean the wheels look terrible without the caps, leading to replacing them with market wheels?  It didn't occur to me they even had wheel caps until I took delivery. This might be yet another Ford mod where I just give up (like anything involving Ford parts right now).

13 minutes ago, Blackdiamond925 said:

I've only had the truck a few days. If you take off the wheel caps, does it look bad? Does replacing the lug nuts mean the wheels look terrible without the caps, leading to replacing them with market wheels?  It didn't occur to me they even had wheel caps until I took delivery. This might be yet another Ford mod where I just give up (like anything involving Ford parts right now).

They look pretty bad without the center caps. I personally replace the wheels and tires almost instantly. The last 3 trucks i've put 37s on right away but from working on them daily the lug nuts are a pain. So bad when I was at Discount Tire we had 19.5 and 21.5mm sockets to fit over the swollen ford lug nuts

43 minutes ago, theoldwizard1 said:

This is not a new or Ford unique problem.  I fist ran into it on Pontiacs in the late 1970s !

Yeah, it was also a problem with early 2000s Toyota's, all dodge ram 1500s and many other vehicles but the class action against Ford that got dismissed was a glimmer of hope for the problem of two piece lugnuts

30 minutes ago, acdebacanm said:

Yeah, it was also a problem with early 2000s Toyota's, all dodge ram 1500s and many other vehicles but the class action against Ford that got dismissed was a glimmer of hope for the problem of two piece lugnuts

The class action suit was dismissed because it was ridiculous.