Wheel/tire questions

Edunn37

I’ll preface this post by saying I am admittedly ignorant about wheels/tires as I have never used anything other than stock on any of my previous vehicles. Also, I am not interested in any lifts or suspension modifications or trimming.  I have a 2022 f250 tremor package on order.   I’m looking to get rims to get a more aggressive stance with offset roughly even with fenders or 1” out at most.  

Am I pretty much limited to 18” rims and 35”s for tires? Or are there rim/tire combinations for 37s that will fit with no timing/rubbing and that a standard tire store will be willing to mount?  

Are 20” rims an option at all without a lift?

Finally, if limited to 35s, as long as the tires are “beefier” will they appear to fill the wheel well better with appropriate offset? 

sorry for my lack of understanding if these are basic concepts. I have read a lot through the forum, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting views.
Edited by Edunn37
font color

Don’t have the specific answers but understand that wheel diameter and tire diameter are 2 separate things.  You can have a 17”, 18”, 19”, and 20” wheel all with the same diameter tire.   So figure out the tire size then determine the best wheel size.  If you’re not going off roading then it’s just which size looks best to you.

• Like 1

Having worked at a large tire shop, I can tell you that I would never add offset rims/tires to my truck. I puts stress on all your suspension parts (pick up a 20lbs weight, now hold it with your arms extended out from your body). If you live in an area that the roads have wear groves, you trucks tires will be wider than the groves and you truck will sway from side to side as its trying to stay in those groves but its "foot print" is simply to wide now. And the kicker for me is fuel mileage, my 2020 6.7 cc, 4x4 f250 currently gets 22.5 mpg with out any mods with stock tires and I live in an area that is 3500' elevation  . Bigger tires will reduce your mpg (not that thats an issue for some). I have done a leveling kit ($200) from Les Schwab and it gets rid of the nose lower than the bed look. in my opinion super dutys are tall enough and I am 6'3, I dont feel the need to jump into my truck.  Be prepared to get huge mud flaps or a jug of matching paint to fix the rock chips.. But it may look bad azz..  

Edited by OREGUNFIRE
shows my reply as hidden
  • Like 1

Having worked at a large tire shop, I can tell you that I would never add offset rims/tires to my truck. I puts stress on all your suspension parts (pick up a 20lbs weight, now hold it with your arms extended out from your body). If you live in an area that the roads have wear groves, you trucks tires will be wider than the groves and you truck will sway from side to side as its trying to stay in those groves but its "foot print" is simply to wide now. And the kicker for me is fuel mileage, my 2020 6.7 cc, 4x4 f250 currently gets 22.5 mpg with out any mods with stock tires and I live in an area that is 3500' elevation  . Bigger tires will reduce your mpg (not that thats an issue for some). I have done a leveling kit ($200) from Les Schwab and it gets rid of the nose lower than the bed look. in my opinion super dutys are tall enough and I am 6'3, I dont feel the need to jump into my truck.  Be prepared to get huge mud flaps or a jug of matching paint to fix the rock chips.. But it may look bad azz..