First Oil Change.....2022 6.7 Diesel

Graham Ford

Ford will tell you, just do the oil changes on schedule.  I have all my oil changes tested, and when I bought my used Challenger with 3,500 miles on it, according to Chrysler service records, the oil was changed at 1,000 miles.  I changed it at approximately 5,000 miles, and the report came back indicating the oil was never changed at all.  Next oil change looked more normal.

I plan to change my  '22 oil after I get back from fetching the 5th wheel.  Should have about 2,000 miles on it.  Next oil change after that will be TBD.  I typically run the oil changes out to 10k-12k, except the chally, which gets changed every other year.  I will probably follow the oil minder schedule for the first few years.

2 hours ago, Graham Ford said:

I was thinking I would do my first oil change around 1000 miles. Is that necessary or just over kill? 

amsoil.png

This is the same oil I plan to use when my 22 Tremor 6.7 arrives. Amsoil DTT 10w30. However, due to warranty, I will probably use Schaeffer's 10w30 Ultra. It is excellent as well. SynShield® Ultra Performance Engine Oil 10W-30 | Schaeffer Oil

Keep in mind that the Schaeffers in the link is actually listed on Ford's approved oil list for the 6.7. The Amsoil you listed is not. I've used Amsoil in all my Fords, and never an issue at all, but just keep in mind. I have never seen an Amsoil/Ford diesel related issue, but Ford is picky when it comes to warranty

• Like 1

Correct, it "meets", based off Amsoils internal testing. However, it is not API certified, and no API symbol on the bottle. It's the reason why its not listed on Fords 6.7 diesel oil approved list.

Amsoil OE and XL line of gas engine oils ARE API certified. 

It's just an added safety measure when it comes to preventing Ford from denying engine warranty. I like Amsoil and use it. But in my 22 F350 6.7, Ill use the Schaeffers Ultra 722 10w30, its API certified and on Ford's list of approved 6.7 diesel oils. Ill use the Amsoil for the transfer case and differential gear oil

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham Ford said:

According to this data sheet from amsoil it meets WSS-M2C171-F1

Am I missing something?

Hi Graham. As Baddestt stated, that chart only shows that Amsoil themselves say they "recommend" it for the particular Ford requirement/API standard. However, it is not API certified to meet the Ford standard.

Therefore, if you should have any warranty claim that can be connected to the oil (even remotely), that Amsoil oil would not meet the Ford warranty requirements. And therefore, Ford would be within their contract rights to deny the claim.

Even the "Product Warranty" section is a nice bit of legalese wordplay. In the real world, very few things actually "void" a vehicle warranty. So of course, using their oil doe snot "void" your warranty. However, many things can lead to a warranty claims denial, which is different than a voided warranty. Using an oil that is not API certified for the use required would be one of them.

Hey, Amsoil is not the only company to play legalese word games. Just be aware that is what it is.

I'm not telling anyone not to use Amsoil. In my opinion, would it probably meet the API certification, if Amsoil spent the time and money to have it tested? Yes, probably.

However,  "probably" will not help if an owner has an engine failure and Ford asks for oil change receipts.

Just be aware of the pros and cons and make your best decision.

Good luck.

EDIT- In reality, very few modern vehicles ever have an oil related engine failure due to the oil itself... unless it is due to improper maintenance, neglect, oil pump failure etc.

However, using an oil that does not meet the manufacturer required API specification (this goes for any/all manufacturers), can give the automaker an excuse to claim an engine failure was caused by or lead to by our choice of an incorrect or non-API certified oil.

If the oil we use is an approved oil that meets the proper manufacturer certification, and we follow the maintenance schedule, we followed the maintenance requirements in our warranty contract.

So in my opinion, the best bet is to use the correct specification oil, have our receipts, and don't give them the chance to use it as an excuse. 

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Graham. As Baddestt stated, that chart only shows that Amsoil themselves say they "recommend" it for the particular Ford requirement/API standard. However, it is not API certified to meet the Ford standard.

Several years ago, there was a guy that custom blended oil for customers.  He claimed to be API approved, but he wasn't on their website.  I followed up with API, and next thing anybody saw, was him clarifying API approval.  He stated he could pass the API requirements, but that would require him to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to be approved.  We did discover his secret ingredient, but it most certainly didn't cost anywhere near what he was charging.  I believe he finally went out of business.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I have a related question. This is my second diesel (first Ford)  and the first was a Duramax. I used Rotella T5 syn blend and had no problems. Thinking about using the same on this new truck. Thoughts? What is everyone else using/will be using and why?  If this had been covered somewhere else please let me know. 

Appreciate any advise!

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, mbushardjr said:

Can I ask what’s wrong with the OEM oil? I understand everyone has their own preferences but during the warranty period at least it would seem to be a safe bet. 

What's wrong with a gas engine?  What's wrong with XLT?  In general, oil is oil is oil... this coming from a guy who only runs extended mileage Mobile 1 in his gas engines!

On 9/27/2021 at 6:39 AM, pig9r said:

T5 should be fine - it’s on Ford’s approved list for 10w30 and 15w40.  I would not use 15w40 though.  

I use T6 5w40.  Looking at the manual 5w40 is for severe duty and has the largest temp range of those three grades.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

2AF3F8E0-A13E-4756-B469-7F3F5B5EE2F7.jpeg

If you are in the desert, there is nothing wrong with using 15w 40

I would never run Amsoil products. I know some background information on another auto manufacturer's transmission fluids. For two different transmissions, they offer two different fluids. Of course, they'd rather offer just one, but they determined that the differences were significant enough to require different fluids. Using the wrong flud definitely affects performance. Amsoil has one listing that covers both applications. After seeing that, I call BS on all Amsoil claims.