Ford's EV push, NBC exclusive

AGR

19 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

An electric Super Duty certainly doesn't interest us, we will continue with our 22 F-450 6.7. Towing a large 5th wheel, we have experienced numerous campgrounds where the electrical infrastructure struggles when the RV aircons are working. Just can't imagine adding additional load to charge the tow vehicles. Before RV electric tow vehicles are common, campgrounds will require significant investment, which I don't see anytime soon. My other concern would be range, as we often tow the 5th wheel 350 to 400 miles a day, and I prefer a reserve of about 100 miles.

Would be surprised to see an electric Super Duty have 450 - 500 mile range, when towing a 16,500 lbs 5'er through the Rockies.

An ev super duty would have 450 or 500 miles of range no problem. The issue as you stated is towing. Batteries currently don't preserve their range very well under high load scenarios. But this is projected to change as battery tech continues to develop. An ev super duty is probably at least 5-7 years away. By then, I think engineers will have figured out how create evs that can tow within decimating their range. Give engineers enough time and money, and there literally isn't an issue on this planet that they couldn't solve lol.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:50 AM, silvrsvt said:

Too bad a certain someone is on a vacation now LOL

The weird thing is that pricing has remained "flat" taking in inflation into account...that 1995 Ranger special for $9999 is worth about 17900 today, or about 2K less then an entry level Maverick, that has a hybrid and alot more creature comforts

The other thing is that BEVs are still in their infancy technologically, which once a 300-400 mile range baseline is established with inexpensive tech, the prices should come down to an affordable level. Sort of like the the $5K computer in the early 1990s going for $1000 at the end of the decade. 

I'd venture to say by the middle of next decade that should be a reality.  

I agree completely, if I was a betting man, I'd say that once superior solid state battery tech finally arrives, that will be the stuff that goes into more premium and performance oriented products. Whereas lithium ion powered evs will become the affordable ev options.

3 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

The utility I work for has a pumped hydro storage facility.  When electricity is cheap, it pumps water up a mountain to a huge reservoir.  When electricity is in high demand, it flows down to a lower reservoir, generating electricity.  It's basically a HUGE battery just to support what you are saying.

We are moving to be carbon free by 2050.  I expect more small nuclear reactors to come online in the next 15 +/- years to replace the aging coal plants, along with wind and solar.

I'm not a massive expert when it comes to engery generation options. But isn't there something called like carbon capturing for coal plants where the emissions produced are essentially captured and stored underground in tanks rather than being released into the atmosphere? I think that's also a viable option moving forward for limiting the environmental impact of power plants. Seems much more feasible than constructing entirely new plants.

Edited by DeluxeStang

31 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm not a massive expert when it comes to engery generation options. But isn't there something called like carbon capturing for coal plants where the emissions produced are essentially captured and stored underground in tanks rather than being released into the atmosphere? I think that's also a viable option moving forward for limiting the environmental impact of power plants. Seems much more feasible than constructing entirely new plants.

That's exactly what ND is investing in.  We have a coal plant in the middle of the state that will be building one of the first systems to attempt this.  The good thing is that ND's Bakken formation where we are extracting oil, is also the perfect place  to put the carbon.  It is very deep and will hold it.  ND is already shipping some carbon from a plant that converts coal into natural gas, up to Canada where they are using it to enhance oil extraction.

I think most will agree, this is a stop gap measure.   Extending the life of coal plants.  But longer term, natural gas is much cleaner and cheaper than coal.  So in ND, we have a good chunk of wind energy.  NG could be spun up in 15 minutes and take care of the surge during cooling season.  Or when wind isn't running.

But ND is going to attempt being a leader in carbon capture.

49 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yes, but, then you still have a plant that is 50 years old and approaching the end of its usable life without spending hundreds of millions of dollars to bring it up to spec in other areas.  It's akin to spending the money to put a DPF on a diesel truck that was built in 1990 and has over a million miles on it.

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

She is a blithering extremist in the Democrat Party in the same vein as Marjorie Taylor-Green and Matt Gaetz from the extremes of the GOP. Lets hope that both extreme ends of the political spectrum get shown the door in the mid-terms.

AOC was just re-elected in a landslide last year so I have little hope of that happening. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

AOC was just re-elected in a landslide last year so I have little hope of that happening. 

That to me is the scary part - that so many people willingly support these idiots on both sides.  I’m tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

She is a blithering extremist in the Democrat Party in the same vein as Marjorie Taylor-Green and Matt Gaetz from the extremes of the GOP. Lets hope that both extreme ends of the political spectrum get shown the door in the mid-terms.

Listen to Toby Keith's .".Happy Birthday America".  Great line...."when I go into town to vote, I have to pick lesser of two evils."

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I believe carbon capture can also be released into the soil making it more fertile and products can be made from carbon capture. Iceland turns carbon capture into energy. Kind of like Covanta turning garbage into electricity. 

19 hours ago, jpd80 said:

At the moment we’re seeing the set up of parallel manufacturing plants for BEVs.

No doubt, the intent is to be as least disruptive as possible to existing operations while building new plants dedicated to electrification and actually growing sales ahead of inevitable displacement of ICE sales, how much or how quickly that happens is anyone’s guess. The point being is that by offering so many BEVs, Ford is handing the choice and rate of change to customers to tell them what the demand level is, that is only possible once these new products are on sale.

Interesting times ahead……

Eh more like a fight with an arm or two tied behind your back in the sense of with coming government BEV regulations, it's just a matter of timeline for demand level.

I'm still waiting for the greenies strip mine "wake up" call, where they suddenly realize that aspect of BEVs isn't good for the environment either.

6 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

The utility I work for has a pumped hydro storage facility.  When electricity is cheap, it pumps water up a mountain to a huge reservoir.  When electricity is in high demand, it flows down to a lower reservoir, generating electricity.  It's basically a HUGE battery just to support what you are saying.

We are moving to be carbon free by 2050.  I expect more small nuclear reactors to come online in the next 15 +/- years to replace the aging coal plants, along with wind and solar.

Bubububu nuclear is the devil!

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I saw that on engineering catastrophes.

Me too - enjoy that show.

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

An ev super duty would have 450 or 500 miles of range no problem. The issue as you stated is towing. Batteries currently don't preserve their range very well under high load scenarios. But this is projected to change as battery tech continues to develop. An ev super duty is probably at least 5-7 years away. By then, I think engineers will have figured out how create evs that can tow within decimating their range. Give engineers enough time and money, and there literally isn't an issue on this planet that they couldn't solve lol.

I'd have to imagine that any "early" BEV Super Duty would be a 250, not intended for full 5th wheel dually towing.

Edited by rmc523

59 minutes ago, akirby said:

That to me is the scary part - that so many people willingly support these idiots on both sides.  I’m tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.

2020 was the first election I haven't voted 3rd party at the federal level. I still did a few times down ballot for state and local stuff though. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Exactly, I'm 26 and I'm yet to see a great president in my lifetime. It's always just been "vote for the one who's less awful" or at least who that voter perceives to be less awful. We're dealing with some very pressing national and global issues right now, yet our leaders are worse that they've ever been arguably.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Also hate the trend that people are more than willing to plug their ears to any criticism that their party gets. But love to label the opposing party as the worst thing to ever exist. It just gets tiring, my mom's family is mostly very conservative, and my father's family is mostly very liberal, and it's just like, would both of you shut up already?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Eh more like a fight with an arm or two tied behind your back in the sense of with coming government BEV regulations, it's just a matter of timeline for demand level.

Unlike Europe and the UK, the US has offered incentives to encourage embrace of BEVs over say, fuel taxes and green zone taxes.

As I’ve said before, the future is not as certain as some think and a lot more of today’s buyers are open to BEVs than just a few short years ago. All speculation of course until we see how the recovery and politics shake out in the next couple of years……..

I'm still waiting for the greenies strip mine "wake up" call, where they suddenly realize that aspect of BEVs isn't good for the environment either.

Governments and manufacturers are on board with BEVs, it shifts the focus away from tens of millions of individual emitters, to a situation where a couple of thousand manufacturing emitters can be better regulated. Somewhere in the past, the fact that light vehicle transport adds less than 10% of total global emissions was lost. Even if governments encouraged all commuters into hybrids, PHEVs or BEVs, that would make a huge impact on emissions right now.

Whatever ends up happening to transition away from carbon based fuel, you can bet that drivers will end up paying more, be that at the start when we buy new expensive electrics, what we pay for electricity charges or road access taxes in whatever form.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Unlike Europe and the UK, the US has offered incentives to encourage embrace of BEVs over say, fuel taxes and green zone taxes.

As I’ve said before, the future is not as certain as some think and a lot more of today’s buyers are open to BEVs than just a few short years ago. All speculation of course until we see how the recovery and politics shake out in the next couple of years……..

Governments and manufacturers are on board with BEVs, it shifts the focus away from tens of millions of individual emitters, to a situation where a couple of thousand manufacturing emitters can be better regulated. Somewhere in the past, the fact that light vehicle transport adds less than 10% of total global emissions was lost. Even if governments encouraged all commuters into hybrids, PHEVs or BEVs, that would make a huge impact on emissions right now.

Whatever ends up happening to transition away from carbon based fuel, you can bet that drivers will end up paying more, be that at the start when we buy new expensive electrics, what we pay for electricity charges or road access taxes in whatever form.

if there’s one thing government is good at, it’s taking peoples money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Exactly, I'm 26 and I'm yet to see a great president in my lifetime. It's always just been "vote for the one who's less awful" or at least who that voter perceives to be less awful. We're dealing with some very pressing national and global issues right now, yet our leaders are worse that they've ever been arguably.

I'm twice your age (52), and there's only been ONE great president in my lifetime.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I wouldn’t call it a landslide. The issue is that there are so many disenfranchised voters that no

one goes out and votes anymore because they don’t think it changes anything.

just as an example-In NJs last election for governor-only 25% of voters actually voted. In California’s recall election, only something like 10-12% of voters voted in it. 

you can’t have a functioning republic with things like that and then add possible election fraud, nothing is going to change. 

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I wouldn’t call it a landslide. The issue is that there are so many disenfranchised voters that no

just as an example-In NJs last election for governor-only 25% of voters actually voted. In California’s recall election, only something like 10-12% of voters voted in it. 

you can’t have a functioning republic with things like that and then add possible election fraud, nothing is going to change. 

In a nutshell there's mass distrust of the system. I for one don't trust a damn thing coming from the government and I don't think there's anything that could happen that would regain my trust. 

17 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

And for sure that is how the BU bartender made it to Congress.  the good ol' boy who had the seat for how many years figured he had it in the bag and did not campaign...wrong!

10 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Didn't even take me 2 second to google this. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_New_Jersey_gubernatorial_election - 2017 NJ Gubernatorial election turn out 38.5%

https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/returns/maps/voter-turnout - 2021 CA recall election turn out  57.5%

1/3 turn out is not great but almost 60% turnout is a convincing mandate. 

And AOC's district is in friggin Bronx and Queens... of course she wins by a landslide. She received 152,661 votes in the 2020 election... about middle of the road compare to other candidates in urban and suburban districts of both parties. But far more than most winning candidates from rural district, which is where minorities tend to be really disenfranchised and don't vote.