Do you see an EV Super Duty in our future?

Fogbelly

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Trucks designed for towing will have a lot more battery range and they may have a range extender generator.

Won't discount the fact the truck will very quickly go stored electrons while towing.  Battery only truck for towing is not going to make prime time anytime soon.  What might be a consideration, is to do a hybrid system similar to F150.  Battery weight will take away from truck payload, and that can be significant.

• Like 1

Ford announced yesterday they are building their first new assembly plant in over 50 years just north of Memphis, Tennessee.  It is slated to build the next generation electric F series.  There is some speculation this may be the heavy duty version of the Lightning.

They are also building 2 new battery plants with partner SK Innovations in Hardin County in Kentucky.  

I believe all these are slated to be online by 2025.

Less than 2% of vehicles sold in the US are electric now, so it's early. Eventually all vehicles will be electric, and it will be interesting to see if there's a carve out for ICE heavy trucks while the technology catches up. Having only a 300 mile range in my 7.3 liter while towing is not a huge number to beat. It will also be interesting to see how quickly the fuel infrastructure collapses. I imagine finding fuel might be as difficult as finding a charging station in 20 years.

https://freightliner.com/electric-trucks/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIycGZy8ei8wIVTRitBh2fkQUzEAAYASAAEgJ-B_D_BwE

if they are already making electric semis, it’s only a matter of time when the super duty trucks are electric, although the infrastructure has to catch up as far as enough charging stations and ones that can handle the newer batteries, it might be 5 years or 20, but they are coming 

its going to be awhile until the technology is there to have electric superduty that makes sence to the people that actually need superdutys. Diesel-Electric Hybrid is probably on the horizon.

The lightning will fill the role of those that like the idea of an suv with a truck box.

I can see Super Duty EV use in fleet operations like mining, airport and other "closed loop" systems that have most all the infrastructure in place to change over to EV readily.

But, "Joe Redneck" and his coal rollin' Powerstroke ain't making that leap any time soon...unless you can mount a "Tesla coil" in the bed and shoot lightning from the back into the air...that'd be cool...right?

image.thumb.png.ad61f27bb1741a5b682b5eb9ca4e8a2d.png

Dana Corporation, best known here as the M275 Axle manufacturer, has big plans for EVs, across as product ranges: commercial (semi tractors), off-highway (construction, mining, etc), light-duty trucks (which paradoxically includes F Series Super Duty).

Have a look at their Electrification presentation yesterday for their investors.

https://danaincorporated.gcs-web.com/events/event-details/virtual-capital-markets-day

Presentation:

https://danaincorporated.gcs-web.com/static-files/e49aaea6-50c3-4b7e-b2d2-c695764acba7

We tow a 16,500 lb 5'er and have found many campgrounds that already have electrical problems when RV aircons kick in. EV Super Duties that need to be charged at campgrounds will further deteriorate the electrical service.

As long as we continue to RV, I'll stick with my 6.7 F-450 KR, once it arrives.

1 hour ago, Rangers09 said:

We tow a 16,500 lb 5'er and have found many campgrounds that already have electrical problems when RV aircons kick in. EV Super Duties that need to be charged at campgrounds will further deteriorate the electrical service.

We were camping in August on the Oregon coast at Cape Lookout State Park. I saw a couple of Tesla's parked in different camp spots, using the 50A, 240 VAC RV hookups for charging. They appeared to have registered as campers and were parked overnight.

The campground electrical service would definitely need to be significantly upgraded if lots of people start doing this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

We were camping in August on the Oregon coast at Cape Lookout State Park. I saw a couple of Tesla's parked in different camp spots, using the 50A, 240 VAC RV hookups for charging. They appeared to have registered as campers and were parked overnight.

The campground electrical service would definitely need to be significantly upgraded if lots of people start doing this.

FYI, the 50A RV hookups are only 120V, not 240V.  There are two separate 120V legs.

I've only been in two campgrounds that I've had issues with 50A service.  One was an OOOOLD park, I was in a 30A site, and the voltage would drop down near 100 and my EMS kept kicking off when we tried to run our fireplace.  The other just had one leg of the 50 amp out and we were still able to run both A/Cs for our 5 days stay.  If a campground is set up properly with 50 amp service, there should be no issues supporting electric vehicle charging, though many are already starting to put a disclaimer in their rules that it is prohibited.

9 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

One idea is that those RV campgrounds would coordinate with their local power utilities and provide parking slots where you would bring your RV in, park it, disconnect your EV F-Super Duty (or competing brand) and park that in a dedicated parking slot with an EV kiosk so you could charge up your EV rig while you camp and enjoy.

If you really think about it, taxing gas was never the best option because it doesn’t directly correlate with miles driven or road damage but it was the easiest to implement.

Assuming the money actually goes to road improvements/repair then taxing by mileage and weight class is the most fair.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

If you really think about it, taxing gas was never the best option because it doesn’t directly correlate with miles driven or road damage but it was the easiest to implement.

Assuming the money actually goes to road improvements/repair then taxing by mileage and weight class is the most fair.

It would also address the "EV issue" of driving on roads maintained in part by gasoline taxes.

Edited by twintornados

4 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

FYI, the 50A RV hookups are only 120V, not 240V.  There are two separate 120V legs.

You are only partially correct. Yes, the 50A has two separate 120V legs. But, here is the important part. The two 120V legs are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, which means the voltage between them is 240V. Have a look at the 50A RV outlet on the left side of the diagram. The voltage measured between the red & black wires is 240V. The voltage between the red wire to white wire (neutral) is 120V. Similarly, the black to white wire voltage is also 120V.  

Most coaches and trailers with 50A power only use 120V loads (connected red-white or black-white). But a coach builder certainly could put a 240V load in an RV by connecting the load between the red and black wires.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170978&d=150

The fact that you can get 240V from an RV outlet is important here, because EVs require 240V for Level 2 charging. The Tesla I saw in Oregon was using the 50A RV outlet to power a portable AC Level Two charger. Notice the plug on this Portable EV Charger from Amazon. It fits right in the RV 50A outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FNZBR5W/

d6e6f98f-ba00-63d7-0ae3-5db96084a77b?t=1

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, twintornados said:

It would also address the "EV issue" of driving on roads maintained in part by gasoline taxes.

The great state of Ohio has added fees to the vehicle registration.  If you own a hybrid or PHEV, you are assessed an additional $100 annually.  If your vehicle is BEV you are assessed an additional $200 annually.