Upgrading from 1/2 to 1-ton

Mercruiser

29 minutes ago, tbone said:

I hope you are prepared for the ride difference. It’s significantly different?

To test that, I rented an F-250 from Enterprise Truck rental and towed my 7700 pound camping trailer over Lookout Pass on the I-90 Idaho/MT border. With a trailer attached, the F250 rides better than the F-150, because you don't get the tail wagging the dog effect in strong side winds.

Unloaded, it's the opposite story. With the F250, you feel every expansion joint on the concrete freeway sections. It's pretty uncomfortable in that situation. In the f150, you don't even notice the expansion joints. Also, low speed steering while parking is very ponderous on the F250.

I would have preferred to keep the F150, but when the wind blows, I have too much trailer and not enough truck.

1 hour ago, Mercruiser said:

To test that, I rented an F-250 from Enterprise Truck rental and towed my 7700 pound camping trailer over Lookout Pass on the I-90 Idaho/MT border. With a trailer attached, the F250 rides better than the F-150, because you don't get the tail wagging the dog effect in strong side winds.

Unloaded, it's the opposite story. With the F250, you feel every expansion joint on the concrete freeway sections. It's pretty uncomfortable in that situation. In the f150, you don't even notice the expansion joints. Also, low speed steering while parking is very ponderous on the F250.

I would have preferred to keep the F150, but when the wind blows, I have too much trailer and not enough truck.

Hi almost neighbour to the South of us. I've had a 2013 F-350 SRW CCLB and a 2016 F-350 DRW CCLB and when empty the ride is definitely not as comfortable as our SIL's F-150. We tow a 16,500 lb 5'er and when hitched, the ride is significantly better.

On the SRW, I installed air bags, which helped the unloaded ride.

5 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

Yep, I get it, and the necessity for the heavier truck.  I went from a Raptor to and F250 recently and I feel every expansion joint, lol.  I agree with all of your assessments regarding the Superduty though.  Quite a bit different. 

• Like 1