Disaster Prevention Kits

I'm new to the 6.7L and have heard a lot about the CP4 issues. I've been looking into the DPK choices out there and have heard feedback from guys who swear by them. I'm curious as to why Ford doesn't have something already in place from the factory like a DPK.... also what are your thoughts on the best DPK out there to install?? 

Why would any manufacturer install a "Disaster Prevention Kit" in a diesel powered vehicle when they sell all the parts to fix the fuel system if a high pressure fuel pump (CP4) fails and damages the fuel system? @road turtle DPK is truck lexicon for the aforementioned "Disaster Prevention Kit"

Edited by twintornados

2 hours ago, PhoenixOdin77 said:

So what you're saying is... Kind of like the cure for cancer... Ford can make more profit from the CP4 failure so they don't install a DPK during manufacturing..... and they do sell a DPK, which isn't very talked about or well known obviously..

Adds to the cost and I would presume that Ford doesn't make it standard since most of them will get traded in long before a CP4 failure. The fact that they make a DPK for their trucks is interesting inasmuch as Ford can still provide their "high mile" customers with a product that is designed to be installed "as factory" for additional peace of mind protection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

Adds to the cost and I would presume that Ford doesn't make it standard since most of them will get traded in long before a CP4 failure. The fact that they make a DPK for their trucks is interesting inasmuch as Ford can still provide their "high mile" customers with a product that is designed to be installed "as factory" for additional peace of mind protection.

Interesting, and makes sense I reckon. I would be interested in learning more about the Ford DPK... I'll see what I can find on my own, but if you have any links to share that would be much appreciated.... thank you for info

18 hours ago, MI173 said:

Do you know the part number or what I ask the parts guy to look for?

There are two different part numbers. One is FORD6.2 and you'll get a credit of $10,494 at the time of purchase. The other part number is FORD7.3 but the credit is only $8,790.

Ram also sells a DPK and the part numbers are the same as above.

• Angry 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Zumari said:

There are two different part numbers. One is FORD6.2 and you'll get a credit of $10,494 at the time of purchase. The other part number is FORD7.3 but the credit is only $8,790.

Ram also sells a DPK and the part numbers are the same as above.

Not Funny at all... if you don't have anything positive to add please don't make facetious comments... just scroll on by. The guy had a legitimate question and your comment is not any help at all, which is not the intent of Forums. Thank You.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 7:24 AM, PhoenixOdin77 said:

Not Funny at all... if you don't have anything positive to add please don't make facetious comments... just scroll on by. The guy had a legitimate question and your comment is not any help at all, which is not the intent of Forums. Thank You.

It was a positive comment and you don't like it, just scroll on. 

LOL. 

• Angry 1

3 hours ago, BigUnixGeek said:

All that talk and I still can't figure out what a DPK actually is...

But I ordered a 7.3, so I guess I don't need to know.

It's a disaster prevention kit for the CP4 fuel pump in the tank of a Diesel engine. The fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel and there have been issues with them in the past under certain conditions... a DPK helps to lessen or even prevent the damaged caused by a Failed CP4... it's a bit more complicated than that... but thats the jist of it anyhow. And no, you won't have to worry about that with your Gas engine. 

10 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

A quick search doesn't bring up anything. Anyone have a link. How does it work and how much does it cost?

Google Ford 6.7L Disaster Prevention Kits... they vary in price depending on Brand... average is somewhere around 400 bucks for the parts... they also work differently they have inline filters on some of them that help trap the particles that make it into the fuel line from the pump, some divert the fuel that lubricates the pump so any particles that do get into the fuel circulates away from the fuel that goes into the fuel line... once the particles build up though they eventually get into the  fuel line still from what I've seen in my research of the different ones out there. None are 100%.... it's also beneficial to put additives in each tank to help lubricate the Fuel because the CP4 uses Diesel to lubricate itself... and the lower sulfur content these days lubricates less... so more metal shavings get in the fuel system because of that aspect.... ergo lubricating additives and DPKs.... at least that's what my take it from what I've looked into. I'm no expert by any means... but I've seen information put there saying the in line filters don't filter down enough to keep particles out of the fuel rail and injectors. Another thing is to always make sure you've got at least a 1/4 tank of diesel and not to drop below that level or risk picking up particles and trash... and less lubrication for the pump...

• Like 1

From my understanding they are additional Lubricant in the fuel that aid the CP4 Unit which is a European Design and the Low Sulphur Fuel in the US doesn't adequately lubricate the Fuel Pump especially at low fuel levels. Look into it yourself to find what is best for your situation. I am not an expert and you should consult one for the most accurate information.