Maverick Test Drives

Can't wait to start seeing these on the road.  Overall most reviews sound pretty good.

One thing I found interesting that I didn't know before, the 2.0 with 4k tow package gets a beefed up trans, upgraded engine cooling,  trans cooler, and more aggressive gearing. Even if I wasn't going to tow, that would be the one I'd get.

So this is interesting.  One of the reviewers said you can’t shift gears so I checked the owner’s manual.  There is no Selectshift  option even on the highest trim.  Instead they went back to the old PRNDL selector with a low range instead.  Low range does help in many circumstances but in my 06 Fusion and 08 edge it was not sufficient when descending a steep mountain.   

I’m thinking we’ll see a sport version with goat modes, etc pretty soon. 

• Like 1

Some of Ford's equipment  groupings are really confounding, Why is there no rear window defroster available at all? Maybe they hope folks won't notice until the next dewey or frosty morning. IMHO, it should be standard in this day and age. On my 2021 RangerSTX , the auto dimming rearview mirror was standard as an XL,, but because I had to ordere the 101A pkg (cruise, Sync, pwr mirrors, etc) it was downgraded to a flip day/night mirror!?

Unknown.jpeg.7a5dec2f3896be9f14d3d42915ec96e5.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

Some of Ford's equipment  groupings are really confounding, Why is there no rear window defroster available at all? Maybe they hope folks won't notice until the next dewey or frosty morning. IMHO, it should be standard in this day and age. On my 2021 RangerSTX , the auto dimming rearview mirror was standard as an XL,, but because I had to ordere the 101A pkg (cruise, Sync, pwr mirrors, etc) it was downgraded to a flip day/night mirror!?

Unknown.jpeg.7a5dec2f3896be9f14d3d42915ec96e5.jpeg

The feds need to get tougher about mandating standard safety equipment. Rear defroster certainly should be on that list including fog lights, turn signal lites in outside mirrors, BLISS, and cross traffic alert. With rear camera being standard safety equipment, then others listed above seem to make logical sense. All about seeing and being seen.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

The feds need to get tougher about mandating standard safety equipment. Rear defroster certainly should be on that list including fog lights, turn signal lites in outside mirrors, BLISS, and cross traffic alert. With rear camera being standard safety equipment, then others listed above seem to make logical sense. All about seeing and being seen.

A lot of companies are doing away with fog lights altogether - not even an option.

---

Seems like they all liked it.  I think Ford has a hit on their hand - the crazy MPG is a huge factor in this that I think will get people that otherwise wouldn't consider something with a bed to consider Maverick.

I never noticed the design element of the simulated kick down in the sheetmetal under the front of the windows in the door panel until the Jalopnik article.

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Some of Ford's equipment  groupings are really confounding, Why is there no rear window defroster available at all?

Not really sure how they get around the State of New York State law that requires them, reading it is pretty clear that it is required to have one. I could also see the person at Ford not knowing the local requirement when they decided to trash it or just are betting that they will just use " truck chassis" as their way around it, but if called to the table they might be trouble. The Rear Defroster was included on early order guides. 

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

US fog lights are neither real fog lights or driving lights.  Mostly just decoration.  We need European lighting rules.

They do, from turn signal side repeaters, amber rear turn signals dynamic headlamps etc. We lag very far behind in the lighting requirements that are proven to reduce accidents by a considerable amount.

Another welcome would be the single rear fog light on the overtaking side would also be a welcomed addition rather than all these people turning on their hazards in heavy rain or snow. But you'd have to educate people what it actually is or they would just drive around with them on all the time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

How so?

Real fog lights have a specific beam pattern and brightness and are usually yellow (front) or red (rear) for best visibility in fog.  Real Driving lights throw a narrow beam several hundred feet down the road.  OEM “fog” lights are usually nothing more than flashlights.

44 minutes ago, akirby said:

US fog lights are neither real fog lights or driving lights.  Mostly just decoration.  We need European lighting rules.

The Crosstrek I used to have came standard with fog lights and really helped with most of the rural driving I did in MI when I lived there. RAV4 and CRV come standard with fog lites and turn signal mirror lites on most trim lines.

Now Kia puts its headlites lower in bumper where fog lites used to be. I get it. But Ford keeps with traditional headlite position, so fog lites do help out in low visibilty.

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

Real fog lights have a specific beam pattern and brightness and are usually yellow (front) or red (rear) for best visibility in fog.  Real Driving lights throw a narrow beam several hundred feet down the road.  OEM “fog” lights are usually nothing more than flashlights.

My Porsche Boxster had fog lites built into headlite assembly, and they really helped keep me on road in foggy situations. 

7 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Not really sure how they get around the State of New York State law that requires them, reading it is pretty clear that it is required to have one. I could also see the person at Ford not knowing the local requirement when they decided to trash it or just are betting that they will just use " truck chassis" as their way around it, but if called to the table they might be trouble. The Rear Defroster was included on early order guides. 

They do, from turn signal side repeaters, amber rear turn signals dynamic headlamps etc. We lag very far behind in the lighting requirements that are proven to reduce accidents by a considerable amount.

Another welcome would be the single rear fog light on the overtaking side would also be a welcomed addition rather than all these people turning on their hazards in heavy rain or snow. But you'd have to educate people what it actually is or they would just drive around with them on all the time.

Ha, "overtaking side"......as if people actually drive in the right lanes like they're supposed to....

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

So...how does a rear defroster work on a Wrangler or Bronco?

Also since rear cameras are not required, is that really necessary? Maybe a heated rear camera instead?

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

Also since rear cameras are not required, is that really necessary? Maybe a heated rear camera instead?

Like any normal vehicle with glass?

Obviously soft tops must have an exemption.

23 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

The only problem with this is that the rear camera only works in reverse. So if your rear window is fogged up while driving, you won’t be able to see behind you. 

my windows regularly fog up on my morning commute so the rear defrost is a necessity.

11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Lariat has a defroster on it....I don't ever recall my dad's 98 Ranger having a rear window defroster on it either. 

Was removed/de-contented in later order guide revisions. Still shows online on the website but the lariat the local dealer just received does not have one. 

13 hours ago, T-dubz said:

The only problem with this is that the rear camera only works in reverse. So if your rear window is fogged up while driving, you won’t be able to see behind you. 

my windows regularly fog up on my morning commute so the rear defrost is a necessity.

A lot of vehicles now have the 360 degree cameras and rear view mirror with camera. It seems like every You Tube auto review I watch has the 360 degree cameras. And I know it's an expensive option. And I know the camera lenses can fog up too.