Maverick Test Drives

Now I decided to take a look at one today. I didn’t drive it but sat in it. Nice space inside, plastic but not cheap looking. Interesting design.

Sales guy was next to useless. “We are charging 5k over every car on the lot….unless you special order.”   Alrighty then. He had no idea about Bronco Sport or Maverick specs. Also they weren’t honoring A/Z plan unless you special order it.

If/when I decide to get rid of the Fusion it looks like it will be a totally different buying experience. I will be shopping around for sure. 

F9E2FF56-AD76-463A-AB30-DABD1B428117.jpeg

8 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Now I decided to take a look at one today. I didn’t drive it but sat in it. Nice space inside, plastic but not cheap looking. Interesting design.

Sales guy was next to useless. “We are charging 5k over every car on the lot….unless you special order.”   Alrighty then. He had no idea about Bronco Sport or Maverick specs. Also they weren’t honoring A/Z plan unless you special order it.

If/when I decide to get rid of the Fusion it looks like it will be a totally different buying experience. I will be shopping around for sure. 

Go to a small town dealer that won't screw you over with markup. 

23 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

16 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Go to a small town dealer that won't screw you over with markup. 

It boils down to auto supply issue-EVERYONE is charging over MSRP now.

I have co-workers/friends saying the same thing- Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, etc are all doing it. One outright refused to pay it and still got the car. I'm waiting to hear it when I get my Bronco...I'm going to tell them to shove it up their ass and I'm willing to walk on it and just deal with my Fusion till next year. Plan B is look at a Mach E and leasing it. 

If you can wait another 6 months or till next Summer, I'll assume it should get "better" baring the US Economy cratering next year, which has a good chance of happening with all the various unintentional and intentional actions by everyone. 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:55 AM, jcartwright99 said:

It's always sad when general members of the public know more about certain products than the salesperson trying to sell it to them. I remember when we bought our explorer, I was telling the salesman how much power the engine had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

It's always sad when general members of the public know more about certain products than the salesperson trying to sell it to them. I remember when we bought our explorer, I was telling the salesman how much power the engine had.

It’s shameful really.  It’s a lack of training by the dealership/Ford, but I would also argue a lack of initiative by the sales person as well.  How does the public know those details you mention…they do their homework.  

30 minutes ago, tbone said:

It’s shameful really.  It’s a lack of training by the dealership/Ford, but I would also argue a lack of initiative by the sales person as well.  How does the public know those details you mention…they do their homework.  

With Covid, it's especially hard keeping staff and hiring replacements. At my Ford dealership, most of the veterans took retirement during the worst of covid. They were very good and knew how to treat customers and satisfy them. However, some of them were way overweight and knew covid could get them dealing with customers and staff all day. So they booked.

On 10/6/2021 at 10:05 PM, sullynd said:
On 10/7/2021 at 9:10 PM, silvrsvt said:

The Lariat has a defroster on it....I don't ever recall my dad's 98 Ranger having a rear window defroster on it either. 

On 10/7/2021 at 11:44 PM, akirby said:

Ranger XL doesn’t have one.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:26 AM, jasonj80 said:

Was removed/de-contented in later order guide revisions. Still shows online on the website but the lariat the local dealer just received does not have one. 

According to the 9/27 release- 2022 Order Guide,  Privacy Glass is standard on Lariat, I'm not aware of a later revision. Can't explain why that Lariat doesn't have one. It is also available on XL when the STX Special Edition Package is ordered (req.101a & STX pkgs) same as 2021; I have it on my STX.

2022 Ranger Order Guide XL STX SE.pdf copy.jpg

2022 Ranger Order Guide.pdf copy.jpg

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I have co-workers/friends saying the same thing- Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, etc are all doing it. One outright refused to pay it and still got the car. I'm waiting to hear it when I get my Bronco...I'm going to tell them to shove it up their ass and I'm willing to walk on it and just deal with my Fusion till next year. Plan B is look at a Mach E and leasing it. 

If you can wait another 6 months or till next Summer, I'll assume it should get "better" baring the US Economy cratering next year, which has a good chance of happening with all the various unintentional and intentional actions by everyone. 

Not everyone.

Edited by blwnsmoke

4 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

According to the 9/27 release- 2022 Order Guide,  Privacy Glass is standard on Lariat, I'm not aware of a later revision. Can't explain why that Lariat doesn't have one. It is also available on XL when the STX Special Edition Package is ordered (req.101a & STX pkgs) same as 2021; I have it on my STX.

2022 Ranger Order Guide XL STX SE.pdf copy.jpg

2022 Ranger Order Guide.pdf copy.jpg

I was speaking of the Maverick Lariat, it was included on the early order guides and removed in later ones. It is still listed as a feature on the website, but is Not included. 

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/models/maverick-lariat/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Not everyone.

People are picking pepper out of fly shit...most dealerships are because people will pay it.

40% of Car Shoppers Willing to Pay $5000 over MSRP for a New Car

When almost 40-50% of your intended buyers are willing to spend extra....you have an issue because people are just looking at payments over 84 months or more. 

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I actually say a Bronco almost like the one you ordered driving on the street in MA. It looks a bigger than the pictures made it out to look, but it is definitely smaller than a Hummer or the OJ Simpson Bronco. It is a lot more imposing and capable than the Wrangler and even the Hummer H2 of the past (that is of course based on looks.) If it were a kid, it would beat up the 90's Bronco and take its lunch money.

13 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

People are picking pepper out of fly shit...most dealerships are because people will pay it.

40% of Car Shoppers Willing to Pay $5000 over MSRP for a New Car

When almost 40-50% of your intended buyers are willing to spend extra....you have an issue because people are just looking at payments over 84 months or more. 

People are dumb. Taking a loan on dealer mark up doesn’t magically make it worth the money. If/when the chip shortage gets sorted out in 22/23 expect used car prices to tank and these folks be massively underwater on their loans.

I always try to take care of my car like I’m going to drive the wheels off of it. I actually may if this dealership gouging continues. I understand the “supply and demand” dynamic but this is extreme. The thing is, when I do replace my Fusion the probability of me going to that dealership is close to zero. 

• Like 1

Not any different than the housing market, at least in my area (Orlando), buyers are offering higher than asking price. Inventory is minimal.  I visit a realtor friend when he hosts an open house and will receive easily 5-10 offers, all over asking price.  And most are coming in with huge downpayments (that offset if the appraisal doesn't hit that amount).  And and I'm seeing  the same behavior with vehicles past few months. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

People are dumb. Taking a loan on dealer mark up doesn’t magically make it worth the money. If/when the chip shortage gets sorted out in 22/23 expect used car prices to tank and these folks be massively underwater on their loans.

I always try to take care of my car like I’m going to drive the wheels off of it. I actually may if this dealership gouging continues. I understand the “supply and demand” dynamic but this is extreme. The thing is, when I do replace my Fusion the probability of me going to that dealership is close to zero. 

18 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Not any different than the housing market, at least in my area (Orlando), buyers are offering higher than asking price. Inventory is minimal.  I visit a realtor friend when he hosts an open house and will receive easily 5-10 offers, all over asking price.  And most are coming in with huge downpayments (that offset if the appraisal doesn't hit that amount).  And and I'm seeing  the same behavior with vehicles past few months. 

Yep-People are stupid...but people where/have been underwater on car loans (esp Younger people who keep buying the latest and greatest) even prior to this. Its also part of the reason why full sized pickup pricing is the way it is...people need their trade in to be decent to afford that 50-60K pickup monthly payment. You have to wonder when the whole thing is going to crash/readjust.

At the same time cars/trucks aren't cheap anymore and I laugh at my wife when she says she wants a cheap (under $300 a month) car payment and she's actually looking at a Maverick because its cheap, not because she wants it to replace her Escape. I'm putting a significant down payment on my Bronco (almost 50%) and my payments are still going to be around $400 a month (I'll pay more to pay it off faster, just good to be flexible) and I got a "cheaper" model after going back and forth between a Big Bend and an Outer Banks. The only thing I gave up was the larger display, but the Big Bend is 90-95% of what I actually need in a vehicle. But on the other hand when your friend says that is "cheap" (he is currently leasing a Wrangler and Grand Cherokee), it makes me wonder. 

The housing market is downright stupid in my area too...we got lucky and bought our house at the tailend of the last slump 5 years ago and now its worth 150K more then what we paid for it. The market is so good that I might make $$$ next year on my condo that I was underwater on for years...yeah I was stupid when I was younger with that and refinancing. At least we are now ahead of the game instead of losing or breaking even on housing and we plan on staying in the house another 15 years or so before retiring. 

23 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

When I was shopping for my 2015 Focus I literally ended a conversation and left a dealer  when the salesman tried to tell me the the 2015 buildout was 2 months later than it was (after "looking it up") after I told him I worked at the plant and what the real date was. Uneducated sales reps hold everything back. 

When I got my new Fusion back in February the salesman tried telling me the new Escape 1.5 was a 4 cylinder. I showed him the order guide. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

22 hours ago, tbone said:

It's not a lack of training on Ford's part. All the resources are there. It's up to the dealer and the individual salesperson to make sure they’re up to date. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

When I was shopping for my 2015 Focus I literally ended a conversation and left a dealer  when the salesman tried to tell me the the 2015 buildout was 2 months later than it was (after "looking it up") after I told him I worked at the plant and what the real date was. Uneducated sales reps hold everything back. 

When I got my new Fusion back in February the salesman tried telling me the new Escape 1.5 was a 4 cylinder. I showed him the order guide. 

14 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's not a lack of training on Ford's part. All the resources are there. It's up to the dealer and the individual salesperson to make sure they’re up to date. 

What it boils down to is the individual sales guy taking his training seriously or not. The sales guy I'm working with is an associate/friend and he tells me about the dealer familiarization training vehicles they have come in- for example they had a Maverick a few weeks ago. But at the same time people have a tendency to focus just on the "important" things they need to do their job and that often isn't memorizing vehicle specs because that would be overwhelming depending on what your specialty is. Consumers can be obsessive with their selected product (i.e. Bronco) and often know more then the dealerships do.  

Definitely a seller's market in the North Country. Housing & rentals are very distorted.  Realtors are encouraging prospective buyers to include a letter with their offer gushing about how lovely the decor is, really need the backyard space yada yada to try and stand out from the rest. Daughter & SIL got $160,000 more than they paid for their 3br split level tract home four years ago.Ten serious offers in two days.

As others have said, "What goes up must come down."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Yep-People are stupid...but people where/have been underwater on car loans (esp Younger people who keep buying the latest and greatest) even prior to this. Its also part of the reason why full sized pickup pricing is the way it is...people need their trade in to be decent to afford that 50-60K pickup monthly payment. You have to wonder when the whole thing is going to crash/readjust.

At the same time cars/trucks aren't cheap anymore and I laugh at my wife when she says she wants a cheap (under $300 a month) car payment and she's actually looking at a Maverick because its cheap, not because she wants it to replace her Escape. I'm putting a significant down payment on my Bronco (almost 50%) and my payments are still going to be around $400 a month (I'll pay more to pay it off faster, just good to be flexible) and I got a "cheaper" model after going back and forth between a Big Bend and an Outer Banks. The only thing I gave up was the larger display, but the Big Bend is 90-95% of what I actually need in a vehicle. But on the other hand when your friend says that is "cheap" (he is currently leasing a Wrangler and Grand Cherokee), it makes me wonder. 

The housing market is downright stupid in my area too...we got lucky and bought our house at the tailend of the last slump 5 years ago and now its worth 150K more then what we paid for it. The market is so good that I might make $$$ next year on my condo that I was underwater on for years...yeah I was stupid when I was younger with that and refinancing. At least we are now ahead of the game instead of losing or breaking even on housing and we plan on staying in the house another 15 years or so before retiring. 

Yes, people were overextending themselves well before the pandemic. Honestly, I think this is the same thing that is driving people to hoard everything right now, the fear of missing out. All you need to do is turn on your TV or go to you favorite website and get inundated with headlines to cause hysteria. Whether it be chips, ships waiting to offload their cargo, no truckers, lack of employees, rising wages, rising prices and no gifts for the holidays....etc. People are going mad to not "miss out" and paying through the nose.

I'll give you an example of my friend. He bought a house in 2013 3 bed/2 bath in Howell for 175. Not a bad house but was built in the late 50's and virtually nothing had been done since then.  In those 8 years he replaced the dry wall in the two upstairs bedrooms, replaced the roof, put new AC/furnace, and put up a fence. His house sold a month ago for 320.  In 8 years, his house almost doubled and he maybe spent 35-40k on it.

Now he's living in an apartment. Why because he had a deal to buy a house "in an up and coming" neighborhood in Detroit and then the VA appraiser scoffed at their asking pricing by about 100k. The flipper of said house bought the house for 80-100k, in March of 2020. Did a rehab on it which was decent but there are still a few issues. He was asking 520. VA appraiser said 400. Someone bought this house for 535k, overpaying 15k over asking to live 3 block away from an ATF office/station to keep an eye on all the crime in the area. I don't get it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Housing prices are crazy. Anyone buying a first time house in this market is crazy. It's like funny money. I see a huge housing bubble forming. We bought our house here in Central FL in 2016, and values have soared 50%+ during this time.