Maverick Test Drives

22 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

People are picking pepper out of fly shit...most dealerships are because people will pay it.

40% of Car Shoppers Willing to Pay $5000 over MSRP for a New Car

When almost 40-50% of your intended buyers are willing to spend extra....you have an issue because people are just looking at payments over 84 months or more. 

Well come on now.. you said everyone and even capitalized it.

Not everyone and infact, there are many that aren't 

I have a local dealer that is quite large and doing MSRP on everything.  Even had a gt500 in the showroom with no ADM.

I know another dealer doing 2-4% under invoice on (except gt500) any vehicle that is a forum sponsor on another site.  Deals are still out there 

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

In what context?  That's a very broad question.

True, I guess in terms of capability, value and comfort. I considered a Maverick briefly, but was disappointed that it didn't offer a 2-range 4wd like the Cherokee or a LSD or Locking rear diff. 

54 minutes ago, docarter said:

True, I guess in terms of capability, value and comfort. I considered a Maverick briefly, but was disappointed that it didn't offer a 2-range 4wd like the Cherokee or a LSD or Locking rear diff. 

Patience grasshopper. Wait a couple years and Ford will come out with all kinds of models including Timberline. 

On 10/11/2021 at 12:49 PM, FordBuyer said:

Patience grasshopper. Wait a couple years and Ford will come out with all kinds of models including Timberline. 

I'm sure Tremor, Timberline, maybe even King Ranch or Platinum, are all in the plans if sales are as strong as preorder suggest it will be over the next few years. Ford will add higher profit margin models if demand is strong. I just wish Maverick and Bronco Sport are available with manual transmission... but I know that's not gonna happen. 

32 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I'm sure Tremor, Timberline, maybe even King Ranch or Platinum, are all in the plans if sales are as strong as preorder suggest it will be over the next few years. Ford will add higher profit margin models if demand is strong. I just wish Maverick and Bronco Sport are available with manual transmission... but I know that's not gonna happen. 

With the Ecosport leaving soon and no replacement in site, the BS then becomes Ford's smallest CUV. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford offer a BS base level trim with manual and fwd. Subaru does it with the Crosstrek except for AWD being standard. Ford will need a CUV priced in the low $20,000 range that is smaller than the Escape. So BS is only one that fits the bill. Maverick fits the bill in some ways, but it's not a CUV.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 3:01 PM, docarter said:

If you need 2 range 4wd you need a Ranger anyway.

• Like 2

I got to check one out this past weekend at the State Fair of Texas. I was really impressed with it. The only drawback for me was I barely fit with the seat all the way back. I'm 6' tall and on the heavier side, but I have no problem fitting in my Fusion or an Escape. I did fit in the back seat just fine, even better than an Escape or my Fusion. Ford will sell as many of these as they can make. We're looking at using these as vehicles for our sales reps instead of Fusions & Escapes.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

If you need 2 range 4wd you need a Ranger anyway.

Why?

Low range really would only be used for maneuvering my little (2,500 lb) camper in tight situations on a grade. I don't want to burn my torque convertor or lug the engine in these situations. 

I guarantee you that you could easily damage the transmission in the Maverick backing 4,000lbs up a steep incline frequently or for a significant period of time. 

13 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

With the Ecosport leaving soon and no replacement in site, the BS then becomes Ford's smallest CUV. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford offer a BS base level trim with manual and fwd. Subaru does it with the Crosstrek except for AWD being standard. Ford will need a CUV priced in the low $20,000 range that is smaller than the Escape. So BS is only one that fits the bill. Maverick fits the bill in some ways, but it's not a CUV.

FWD goes against the Bronco branding.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

FWD goes against the Bronco branding.

You are probably correct....just thinking how Ford could price the lower trim levels to put it in Ecosport price range since BS will now be Ford's smallest CUV. Next redesign of Escape should be stretching its wheelbase giving it the same cargo space as outgoing Edge....70+ cubic feet. 

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

You are probably correct....just thinking how Ford could price the lower trim levels to put it in Ecosport price range since BS will now be Ford's smallest CUV. Next redesign of Escape should be stretching its wheelbase giving it the same cargo space as outgoing Edge....70+ cubic feet. 

That's what Focus Active was suppose to do - offer FWD alternative to Bronco Sport for people that don't need AWD. But the plan went sideways with Trump's trade war with China 

But I think the plan now is to fill that space with either next gen Puma, which could come to the US as EV, or next gen Territory, which is the actual EcoSport replacement in LHD markets outside Europe and North America.

8 hours ago, docarter said:

Why?

Low range really would only be used for maneuvering my little (2,500 lb) camper in tight situations on a grade. I don't want to burn my torque convertor or lug the engine in these situations. 

I guarantee you that you could easily damage the transmission in the Maverick backing 4,000lbs up a steep incline frequently or for a significant period of time. 

It comes down to using the right tool for the job.  If the Maverick isn’t suitable for the task, use a different truck.  There will be plenty of buyers whose needs are met by the Maverick.  Ford will gladly point the customer to the other trucks in the lineup.

2 hours ago, slemke said:

It comes down to using the right tool for the job.  If the Maverick isn’t suitable for the task, use a different truck.  There will be plenty of buyers whose needs are met by the Maverick.  Ford will gladly point the customer to the other trucks in the lineup.

Respectfully, if Jeep can offer a low ranger transfer case and locking rear diff on the Cherokee CUV, then the Maverick could benefit just as well. Any front-wheel-drive "truck" would benefit from a real, locking, mechanical 4wd system for tough conditions. So would it benefit from a low range for its 4,000 lb tow rating. It doesn't strain the mind to imagine situations where the Maverick as a truck would benefit from a transfer case. 

7 hours ago, bzcat said:

That's what Focus Active was suppose to do - offer FWD alternative to Bronco Sport for people that don't need AWD. But the plan went sideways with Trump's trade war with China 

But I think the plan now is to fill that space with either next gen Puma, which could come to the US as EV, or next gen Territory, which is the actual EcoSport replacement in LHD markets outside Europe and North America.

Ah, just like Trump killed the Focuses' competitors like the Corolla, Civic, Forte, Elantra, or Sentra? 

Oh wait. 

52 minutes ago, docarter said:

Respectfully, if Jeep can offer a low ranger transfer case and locking rear diff on the Cherokee CUV, then the Maverick could benefit just as well. Any front-wheel-drive "truck" would benefit from a real, locking, mechanical 4wd system for tough conditions. So would it benefit from a low range for its 4,000 lb tow rating. It doesn't strain the mind to imagine situations where the Maverick as a truck would benefit from a transfer case. 

Well they’re not going to do it because the current system doesn’t have a transfer case and the 3 people that think they need it can buy a Ranger instead or they can but the Jeep version of the Maverick.  Oh wait…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docarter said:

Ah, just like Trump killed the Focuses' competitors like the Corolla, Civic, Forte, Elantra, or Sentra? 

Oh wait. 

He didn’t say Trump killed it and it’s a fact that those policies impacted the business case for Ford to import certain vehicles.  Now let’s leave politics out of it.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2021 at 2:01 PM, docarter said:

Have you looked at a Cherokee build to get a 2-speed transfer case?  From what I can see, it's a minimum of a Latitude Lux 4x4 with V6 and Active II 4x4 system. $34,460.  Ranger money.

HRG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Have you looked at a Cherokee build to get a 2-speed transfer case?  From what I can see, it's a minimum of a Latitude Lux 4x4 with V6 and Active II 4x4 system. $34,460.  Ranger money.

HRG

This is a thoughtful reply. It would probably cost more, but maybe not more than the Cherokee? A basic Maverick XLT AWD is 30.8k. 

At the end of the day, the name of the game is moving units. I did go ahead and order a Ranger STX but a Maverick would probably make a nicer daily commuter. 

59 minutes ago, docarter said:

At the end of the day, the name of the game is moving units. I did go ahead and order a Ranger STX but a Maverick would probably make a nicer daily commuter. 

Wrong.  At the end of the day it’s about profit not volume.  And you just proved the point because you bought a Ranger.

• Like 1

100,000 orders for Maverick is compelling evidence that initial trim and powertrain offerings are hitting or exceeding expectations.

Interesting point on the Wrangler’s AWD system with high/low range, I wonder if perhaps the Escape PHEV with its  electric drive at lower speeds is the kind of an interesting alternative…..or the missing “PHEV Maverick”?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Wrong.  At the end of the day it’s about profit not volume.  And you just proved the point because you bought a Ranger.

Interesting. Ford is pursuing the "profit first" strategy and what do Ford stocks ($15/share) look like versus Tesla ($840/share) which wasn't profitable for a long time (it just logged its first profit of 1B in the 1st Q of 2021). 

Shareholders want confidence in a car brand, they don't care about the actual numbers. If you care about silly things like stock prices that is. 

Edited by docarter

26 minutes ago, docarter said:

Interesting. Ford is pursuing the "profit first" strategy and what do Ford stocks ($15/share) look like versus Tesla ($840/share) which wasn't profitable for a long time (it just logged its first profit of 1B in the 1st Q of 2021). 

Shareholders want confidence in a car brand, they don't care about the actual numbers. If you care about silly things like stock prices that is. 

Stock prices nowadays are terrible indicators of a company’s financial health.  

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 11:01 AM, DeluxeStang said:

This is genuinely the most impressive entry level affordable vehicle I've seen in some time.

Yes sir DeluxeStang. New Maverick is a direct result of Jim Hackett bringing "Design Thinking" to Ford when he served as CEO from 2017 to 2020.

It's the best example so far of Ford finally getting away from the "cheap and nasty" reputation they've had for their entry level affordable vehicles in the U.S. and replacing it with "cheap and cheerful".