Maverick Test Drives

Had the chance to see a few of things at our local dealership today. We were already thinking about replacing our '09 Kia Rio with one of these in the near future. After experiencing it in person, we're basically sold. Might wait a few months while we look at a few other entry level vehicles, but the maverick set a very high bar. Having a truck that gets 15 more mpg in the city than our compact, that uses a very durable cvt/hybrid system. That also looks pretty cool, and has a fun and quirky interior for a cheaper price than almost every hatchback you can buy today. Yeah, it's hands down the most impressive affordable vehicle I've seen in some time. Our Rio has been relatively reliable, but it's obviously getting quite old, and has about 110k on it. So it's reliability is probably going to slip in the coming years. Plus, while it's a good transportation device, it's just not the kinda car that you want to keep for 20 years if you can help it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 7:50 PM, DeluxeStang said:

Had the chance to see a few of things at our local dealership today. We were already thinking about replacing our '09 Kia Rio with one of these in the near future. After experiencing it in person, we're basically sold. Might wait a few months while we look at a few other entry level vehicles, but the maverick set a very high bar. Having a truck that gets 15 more mpg in the city than our compact, that uses a very durable cvt/hybrid system. That also looks pretty cool, and has a fun and quirky interior for a cheaper price than almost every hatchback you can buy today. Yeah, it's hands down the most impressive affordable vehicle I've seen in some time. Our Rio has been relatively reliable, but it's obviously getting quite old, and has about 110k on it. So it's reliability is probably going to slip in the coming years. Plus, while it's a good transportation device, it's just not the kinda car that you want to keep for 20 years if you can help it.

The Maverick is one of the best bang-for-the-buck vehicles out there.  Home run.  We were shopping for a new vehicle for my wife and we really considered this strongly but decided on a Bronco Sport.  The dealbreaker for my wife (who likes small cars) was the overall length was 3-feet longer than the Bronco Sport plus the SUV is better for us with dogs.  (We have two, plus she volunteers at a dog rescue so there is more room inside for the dogs with the Bronco Sport's rear seats folded down.)  So those two things cost me like $5-10K more.  :)

I think the interior of the Maverick is awesome.  They didn't hide from the fact it's an entry level product but gave it enough style/function to make it work.  It's not just some bland black/gray plastic everywhere.  The design/colors/textures they used really made it look higher end than what it really was.   This should be the poster child in the design studio on how to do an interior with a small budget.

Edited by iamweasel
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, iamweasel said:

They didn't hide from the fact it's an entry level product but gave it enough style/function to make it work.  It's not just some bland black/gray plastic everywhere.  The design/colors/textures they used really made it look higher end than what it really was.   This should be the poster child in the design studio on how to do an interior with a small budget.

This is Jim Hackett's "design thinking" that has been spreading throughout Ford. Maverick is one of the best examples of design thinking at Ford nowadays.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

This is Jim Hackett's "design thinking" that has been spreading throughout Ford. Maverick is one of the best examples of design thinking at Ford nowadays.

I'm sorry but that has nothing to do with Jim Hackett.  That guy was as clueless as it gets.......I don't know anyone inside the company who had a good thing to say about him.  

31 minutes ago, iamweasel said:

I'm sorry but that has nothing to do with Jim Hackett.  That guy was as clueless as it gets.......I don't know anyone inside the company who had a good thing to say about him.  

One of the reasons Jim Hackett was hired by Ford in 2017 was his expertise with design thinking. That's unfortunate that Ford employees didn't say good things about him, because he was a good businessman.

19 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

One of the reasons Jim Hackett was hired by Ford in 2017 was his expertise with design thinking. That's unfortunate that Ford employees didn't say good things about him, because he was a good businessman.

No, he wasn't a good businessman....not in the auto industry, anyway.  He was in way over his head and out of his element.  He was indecisive and failed to provide clear direction.  It was obvious he was not right for the job very early on.  

I cannot comment on whether he was good or bad for Steelcase. 

On 11/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, iamweasel said:

The Maverick is one of the best bang-for-the-buck vehicles out there.  Home run.  We were shopping for a new vehicle for my wife and we really considered this strongly but decided on a Bronco Sport.  The dealbreaker for my wife (who likes small cars) was the overall length was 3-feet longer than the Bronco Sport plus the SUV is better for us with dogs.  (We have two, plus she volunteers at a dog rescue so there is more room inside for the dogs with the Bronco Sport's rear seats folded down.)  So those two things cost me like $5-10K more.  :)

I think the interior of the Maverick is awesome.  They didn't hide from the fact it's an entry level product but gave it enough style/function to make it work.  It's not just some bland black/gray plastic everywhere.  The design/colors/textures they used really made it look higher end than what it really was.   This should be the poster child in the design studio on how to do an interior with a small budget.

Couldn't agree more, our Rio is just a sea of gray on the interior. There's no interesting colors or details to be found. So it's nice to see some fun interior colors again. I personally think the area 51 exterior with the xlt interior is great. Manages to be funky without being overwhelming and fugly.

52 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Couldn't agree more, our Rio is just a sea of gray on the interior. There's no interesting colors or details to be found. So it's nice to see some fun interior colors again. I personally think the area 51 exterior with the xlt interior is great. Manages to be funky without being overwhelming and fugly.

Looks to me like the Bronco the Maverick will basically be sold out for the next 2 years at least, especially the hybrid. Only way to get one is order one, hope it goes through, and wait many months. Ditto with Escape hybrid, plugin, and F150 Powerboost. Order and wait. Probably true for BS too. Around here, there is a good selection of Edges, Ecosport, Escape 3 cylinder, and Explorer. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Looks to me like the Bronco the Maverick will basically be sold out for the next 2 years at least, especially the hybrid. Only way to get one is order one, hope it goes through, and wait many months. Ditto with Escape hybrid, plugin, and F150 Powerboost. Order and wait. Probably true for BS too. Around here, there is a good selection of Edges, Ecosport, Escape 3 cylinder, and Explorer. 

Not two years, most dealerships I talked to were saying 2-4 months for the Ecoboost, 4-6 months for the hybrid, if you ordered it before order banks for the hybrid closed. Those order banks are supposed to reopen next summer, if I place a hybrid order early next summer, I should have a Maverick around this time next year.