Maverick Test Drives

15 hours ago, akirby said:

Stock prices nowadays are terrible indicators of a company’s financial health.  

I don't disagree, however Ford is chasing stock value for all the reasons that stock values matter, and Ford thinks profits are the way to increase share value.

If Ford stock grew like Tesla's did then you could just imagine the value to investors. 

Also, on a related but different note. Ford's shrinking global sales and abandoning certain segments really does portray their success. 

I bought a Ranger because I want domestic car makers to succeed and because I needed a vehicle now. If things had worked out even a bit differently I would have much rather went with the upcoming Canyon and its 2.7T. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, docarter said:

I bought a Ranger because I want domestic car makers to succeed and because I needed a vehicle now.

Congratulations on your new Ford Ranger docarter sir. I also bought a Ranger in 2019 instead of Honda Ridgeline for those reasons (I want Ford in particular to succeed). When Ford brings out a 100% electric version of Maverick, that will be my top choice to replace the Ranger. 

Anyway, I'm very glad that Ford introduced a unibody pickup with the Maverick. Maverick could be considered the Ford Sport Trac successor that I asked for in the Ford Wish List 5 years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2021 at 10:02 PM, SteelyD said:

Saw the Maverick in person Saturday at a Ford sponsored event. Sat in it as well. I like it. Just the right height for driver and passenger entry and exit. The Bed was easily acessable too.

Reminds me of a simpler time when smaller pickups could fill a niche when things weren’t all about “covered wagons”.

42 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Reminds me of a simpler time when smaller pickups could fill a niche when things weren’t all about “covered wagons”.

It was almost impossible to have a first Gen Ranger as a family vehicle.  Even in Supercab form it was a 3 seater at best.  A Mustang was a better family hauler.  You’d need another vehicle.   Nowadays any truck can be a family hauler.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, akirby said:

It was almost impossible to have a first Gen Ranger as a family vehicle.  Even in Supercab form it was a 3 seater at best.  A Mustang was a better family hauler.  You’d need another vehicle.   Nowadays any truck can be a family hauler.

Sorry, context here  is me living in a different part of the world, Maverick takes me back to the mid 80s dual cab Courier.

Since 1985, ROW markets have had the smaller dual cab Courier for about 20 years before they began growing in size and changing

name to larger Ranger We also had single cab pickups that were both car and light commercial based, like your Rancheros.

So the journey outside of North America is very different but to me, Maverick seems very familiar, like an old friend back again. That’s the hardest part, knowing that Ford has forgotten about the ROW buyers.

Edited by jpd80

10 hours ago, akirby said:

My family did it for a little while. Those jump seats were torture devices. I'm surprised I never wound up with a head injury as many times as I hit my head on the window 

• Like 1

Oh how many of us were raised in 70s/80s "coupes", where we just had to settle for sitting in the back.  I did love my mother's philosophy...When Robocop came out in what 84-86, as a kid I'm like "OH look mom, how cool it's Robocops car! (Taurus). Shes like "OH no Anthony, that car, has 4 doors, THOSE people are wealthy, we can only afford 2 doors, which is why your an only child, we are poor"..Meanwhile my father had an F250, and my mother had a Benz coupe and convertible, no vehicle older then 3 years, but we were "poor"...I was traumatized, I'm sending her To Shady Pines !

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Oh how many of us were raised in 70s/80s "coupes", where we just had to settle for sitting in the back.  I did love my mother's philosophy...When Robocop came out in what 84-86, as a kid I'm like "OH look mom, how cool it's Robocops car! (Taurus). Shes like "OH no Anthony, that car, has 4 doors, THOSE people are wealthy, we can only afford 2 doors, which is why your an only child, we are poor"..Meanwhile my father had an F250, and my mother had a Benz coupe and convertible, no vehicle older then 3 years, but we were "poor"...I was traumatized, I'm sending her To Shady Pines !

When I was 5 we got the new Ford Maverick just as it came out, coming from an old station wagon to a coupe with non lowering rear windows (they only popped out a few inches). The 4 of us travelled for years in that car, trips and all, no AC too, but I didn’t know any better lol. Now as an adult I think back, it seems like torture hahaha! 6 years later mom finally got her license so dad bought a used 1971 Coupe DeVille…much bigger, but we still had to climb into the back! But I had a power window all to myself, plus AC!

We are so spoiled today with what our cars offer,  and it it’s fun to think of the “hardships” we used to endure then.

• Like 1

Latest test drive review of Maverick Hybrid at Motor Trend. 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid First Test: Thrifty, Awesome Fun (motortrend.com)

If there's only one thing you take away from this first test, it's that the 2.5-liter I-4 and permanent-magnet electric motors are more than up to the challenge of the work this truck will be asked to do. It even pulled a light trailer with shocking confidence and ease. And the planetary continuously variable transmission is no buzzkill, either, providing smooth and linear power delivery that enabled the little truck to post some solid test numbers.

2022-Ford-Maverick-XLT-10.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-XLT-20.jpg

7 hours ago, spudz64 said:

When I was 5 we got the new Ford Maverick just as it came out, coming from an old station wagon to a coupe with non lowering rear windows (they only popped out a few inches). The 4 of us travelled for years in that car, trips and all, no AC too, but I didn’t know any better lol. Now as an adult I think back, it seems like torture hahaha! 6 years later mom finally got her license so dad bought a used 1971 Coupe DeVille…much bigger, but we still had to climb into the back! But I had a power window all to myself, plus AC!

We are so spoiled today with what our cars offer,  and it it’s fun to think of the “hardships” we used to endure then.

I'm old enough to remember no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, three gears on the column, radio was option, and exhaust system would rust out after two years. No headrests and outside mirror was on driver side only.

My first vehicle was a hand me down '62 Galaxie 500 and luckily had radio, power brakes and windows, 390 V8 with 4 Barrel and gas was about 30 cents/gallon. Still a fuel hog though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I'm old enough to remember no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, three gears on the column, radio was option, and exhaust system would rust out after two years. No headrests and outside mirror was on driver side only.

My first vehicle was a hand me down '62 Galaxie 500 and luckily had radio, power brakes and windows, 390 V8 with 4 Barrel and gas was about 30 cents/gallon. Still a fuel hog though. 

And the option was AM only.  Seat belts were lap only.  Infant car seat was mom.  Once my sister came along I got a car seat that hooked over the back of the seat and provided a bar that came down like on a roller coaster.  No power locks.

points and plugs changed every year.  Batteries that needed to be checked and maintained regularly.  Pretty sure we always had an extra fan belt around too.  And remember to set the choke correctly.

Vehicles have come a long way since I was born.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slemke said:

And the option was AM only.  Seat belts were lap only.  Infant car seat was mom.  Once my sister came along I got a car seat that hooked over the back of the seat and provided a bar that came down like on a roller coaster.  No power locks.

points and plugs changed every year.  Batteries that needed to be checked and maintained regularly.  Pretty sure we always had an extra fan belt around too.  And remember to set the choke correctly.

Vehicles have come a long way since I was born.

Still remember when you changed the oil in the driveway. Yeah, remember changing spark plugs, brakes, and water pump. Didn't have to take your vehicle to the dealer very often. We were all driveway mechanics. Those were the days. You learned how to do it from your father and then taught your kids. Jack of all trades. Our neighbor restored a '55 TBird in his garage. We used to live at Murray's stocking up on auto parts. 

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 6:43 AM, silvrsvt said:

Maybe they don't want Maverick sales eating into Ranger sales ;)

Well there’s that but I suspect that the Maverick could live comfortably below Ranger like it will in North America.

Ford Aus really struggles getting interest for Escape, maybe something like Maverick may break the ice for buyers

stuck in a sea of compact utilities ……..kinda like the reason why America is getting it….

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Well there’s that but I suspect that the Maverick could live comfortably below Ranger like it will in North America.

Ford Aus really struggles getting interest for Escape, maybe something like Maverick may break the ice for buyers

stuck in a sea of compact utilities ……..kinda like the reason why America is getting it….

Australia could get all the products if you just ditch RHD ?

But seriously, Australia and US markets are very similar except for you know... which side of the road you are driving

On 10/21/2021 at 8:48 AM, spudz64 said:

I think the most bizarre thing about my mother's Maverick was that there was no glove box, just a shelf where it would normally be. Her Maverick was also that white with blue racing stripes and red pinstripes. Like this:

maverick.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/22/2021 at 6:51 PM, atomcat68 said:

I think the most bizarre thing about my mother's Maverick was that there was no glove box, just a shelf where it would normally be. Her Maverick was also that white with blue racing stripes and red pinstripes. Like this:

maverick.jpg

That's a 1972 Sprint Edition.

4 hours ago, scode1 said:

That's a 1972 Sprint Edition.

Thank you, I was trying to remember what they called it. I wish Ford made a new sprint edition for the newer lineup. I would go with Mustang (of course) Ranger, Maverick, F-150, and Escape. Bronco and sport already have too many editions, so not for those.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 11:56 PM, FordBuyer said:

Still remember when you changed the oil in the driveway. Yeah, remember changing spark plugs, brakes, and water pump. Didn't have to take your vehicle to the dealer very often. We were all driveway mechanics. Those were the days. You learned how to do it from your father and then taught your kids. Jack of all trades. Our neighbor restored a '55 TBird in his garage. We used to live at Murray's stocking up on auto parts. 

If it wasn't for that f**king air dam I would change the oil in my fusion on my garage. 

I got to see the Maverick in person yesterday at the Miami Auto Show - they had it on a slightly raised platform, and locked (Bronco was locked too, for some reason).

I think this product will do very well (yes, I know the reservations, etc. - but I'm talking about sustained success).  It was a nice size that offers a ton of practicality.  They didn't have a door open, so just had to look in the window at the interior, which looked appropriate - some of the reviews have said it well - that it's not trying to pretend it's a fancy high end vehicle, yet had a good quality look to the materials via textures and colors.

I wish they'd have displayed it with plywood in the bed - this one had a bed cover on it.  I bumped into a friend of mine there, and he specifically made the comment that "it couldn't fit something like plywood" and then I explained how they engineered it to have sheets sit on top of the wheel wells with the tailgate prop.  At any rate, I liked it.

The Maverick is a home run. Period. We checked them out at our local dealer and now have one on order for our elderly father. He loves it and thinks it’s just the neatest little pickup. It’s a good value. It’s nice to see Ford remember they are still a mainstream brand and need to have some affordable, high value vehicles and not just $60k plus King Ranch F-150s. I will replace my Ranger when it comes off lease with another Ranger because I value the true truck chassis and conventional power train set-up, but the Maverick is great. It’s nice to see Ford giving us a better idea at the entry level.

My older brother is still interested in the Maverick. I had done a build and price for him a couple of months ago but there are probably a couple of things I would change now that I have seen a few road tests, etc.

I originally spec'd it out as an AWD XLT with the FX4 package mainly because of where he lives and the type of winters we sometimes get. I now realize he doesn't go much of anywhere that some of the items from the FX4 would be of much benefit over the standard AWD so I would probably not recommend that now.

Once I watched a youtube video of a guy trying to do his first oil change that kinda unsealed the deal on the FX4. You have to remove several bolts and the front section of the under engine skid plate just to get to the oil filter. However, there is a plastic access panel in the main skid plate to get to the drain plug (which the guy in the video totally missed and then removed the entire skid plate LOL). My brother doesn't change his own oil but I can see whoever he gets to do it either screwing all that up and/or charging him an arm and a leg just to do an oil change. My guess is the skid plates would eventually end up in the trash bin anyway and he would never be the wiser.

IMO the tires that come with the FX4 package also aren't a big enough improvement over what comes with the basic AWD package. Once he figures out whether or not he needs better tires he can always upgrade those down the road although he will probably just bitch about how much better his old Baja was in the winter even though he had to get rid of that because of the typical Subaru head gasket failures.

I also believe for the FX4 package to be worthwhile it really should include the rear differential from the Bronco Sport Badlands but it doesn't. 

You also lose Sport mode in favor of Mud & Ruts and Sand modes with the FX4 package but I seriously doubt he would ever use anything but Normal mode anyway. LOL.

I had also spec'd a moonroof only because his current Rav4 has one but he said he never uses that anyway so that's out as well.

The one big option that I might recommend he add would be the XLT Luxury package. I realize that will more than offset the savings from dropping the other stuff but I think you get some really good upgrades with that package including the power driver seat, heated seats and spray-in bedliner, all of which he would appreciate a lot more than anything he would have gotten from the FX4 package or the moonroof.