5th wheel on a short bed?

Lots of info is exactly what I was hoping for.  Paid demos on Youtube are only usefull to (maybe) see how it actually works -- not really how *well* it works.

Interesting to hear that the trailer manufacturers are making it easier to tow with a shorter bed.  Still probably wouldn't know until you make all the measurements or actually hook one up.

I've been towing a 5th wheel with a short bed super duty for years.  I've used a Reese hitch for the Ford puck system for the last ten years and it has been pretty good.  With the new truck I'm going to get a B&W because I like the dual jaws.  The current one just has a single bar and I get a lot of chucking on start and stop. You'll get many people say that you should only use a sliding hitch but I have not found any occasion in which I needed it.  Like stated above, the front caps of most manufacturers allow for plenty of clearance in most situations.  If you are going to jack knife it over about 70 degrees then you might want a spotter, but that would be extremely rare.

Edited by rlatronico

I have use a PullRite slider in my short bed for 8 years. Duramax was totaled in hail storm in April. Ordered a F350 and hope to get this month. I contacted PullRite and purchased the mounts to convert to the puck system. My old system was the universal rails. What I like about the PullRite #2900 is it is automatic. I don’t have to worry about unlocking. Also , you install a capture plate on your 5th wheel hitch. That will keep anyone without the same hitch from towing it( security). If you need someone to tow it, remove it. Fantastic customer service. No grease. Only drawback, it is heavy at about 250 lbs. Change to puck system was 500. vs buying a new hitch. 

I've got a Reese sliding hitch in my F150 towing a 28' cougar.  I don't need the sliding hitch for turning, but sliding it back to hitch and unhitch makes it so much easier.  With the hitch in the tow position, the tailgate won't drop down all the way without hitting the camper.  

I pull a 5th wheel with my current and previous 5.5’ bed F150, no slider. Just have to pay attention, once I didn’t while making a quick sharp turn in a small parking lot. I heard the crunch and knew right away. Didn’t break the window though. Once in 15 years ain’t bad. Most people I know that have sliders don’t use them anyway. 

I have always had a 8’ box, so never needed a slider. My brother was trying to get on a spot at a state park and broke his back window out and creased his cab a couple of months ago. All it takes is a split second and it can ruin your day. We both have ten year old trailers which don’t have the rounded corners. Since I ordered the 6 3/4’ box I decided to go with the Demco auto slider. Don’t need the worry or excitement of forgetting on a hard park. 

More like the trailer makers are trying to compensate for the truck makers poor design- Even with a round front or the king pin as far forward on the trailer as possible, it takes 51", half the width of the trailer, to be able to make the 90 degree tractor to trailer angle that is the standard for cargo semi-trailers. You want the kingpin even or slightly ahead of the truck's rear axle for stability, and no way can you get that needed 51" cab to axle distance or even a 48" CA with a 66" or even 78" long short box. Long box is the only way to do it right, anything less is asking for trouble...