Battery Range on Corsair Grand Touring

I took a test drive this morning since my battery was close to being depleted according to the icon on the dash screen. I had 7 miles of battery power left.

Driving at 55 MPH was done in all EV. The dash screen showed Electric Driving. This was a surprise to me as I figured once you got out of city speed limits the ICE would kick in. I got out onto the highway at 70MPH and the gas engine did kick in as well as the electric motors. There was plenty of power available whenever I hit the accelerator. As I neared town I noticed the battery was showing it was depleted. However, when I got into town at 25 - 35 MPH speeds I was still driving in electric mode with the dash screen still showing the battery was depleted. I drove like this for 4 miles to my house.

I believe the range on the battery is much further than 32 miles when fully charged. This may be due to the speeds I was driving too.

I will say I had the vehicle in Normal driving mode the entire time. When I was out on the highway I scrolled through some of the other driving modes and there are definite differences between each mode. Future road trips will involve putting the vehicle into one of those modes for the entire trip just to see how it performs in different circumstances.

On a side note, when I stopped in at Starbucks this morning there was a woman in a Toyota RAV4 PHEV. As she backed out of the parking place it emitted a very loud noise that I could only describe as something coming out of the sound system at a haunted house. When she put the vehicle in drive it emitted the same sound albeit at a much lower volume. I won't complain about the EV sounds my Corsair makes ever again. image.gif.55d8ea5a922d2640190ef6d4c19613dc.gif?image.gif.55d8ea5a922d2640190ef6d4c19613dc.gif

when you are depleted in the battery .. it still runs like a hybrid.. but doesn't store the power in the battery.. that is what I have noticed in mine.. if you go to preserve then your driving will charge the battery in "miles".. but doesn't do the hybrid thing.. it uses the gas engine to charge..  

Rick.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:23 PM, RedHoncho01 said:

On a side note, when I stopped in at Starbucks this morning there was a woman in a Toyota RAV4 PHEV. As she backed out of the parking place it emitted a very loud noise that I could only describe as something coming out of the sound system at a haunted house. When she put the vehicle in drive it emitted the same sound albeit at a much lower volume. I won't complain about the EV sounds my Corsair makes ever again. image.gif.55d8ea5a922d2640190ef6d4c19613dc.gif?image.gif.55d8ea5a922d2640190ef6d4c19613dc.gif

That is hilarious!  My company just recently leased two 2021 Toyota RAV4 Primes (PHEV) back in February and I could not agree more!  The "pedestrian alert" EV noise when you put it in reverse is awful and ridiculously loud.  I don't know what engineer at Toyota came up with their stupid EV noise but it could definitely be improved and lower the volume as well.  There is no way to disable it and I've can't seem to find a fuse for it to pull out either.

Thankfully the EV noise on my 2020 Aviator GT is much more subtle and soothing.  How is it on your new Corsair GT?  I would think they probably used the same speaker and sound as the Aviator.

Edited by rampagex7
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 12:23 PM, RedHoncho01 said:

I believe the range on the battery is much further than 32 miles when fully charged. This may be due to the speeds I was driving too.

Bear in mind that the official rated EV range and the projected range on your screen is always an estimate and will vary wildly depending on your driving conditions, outside temperature, use of climate control, etc.

My Aviator GT has an official rated EV range of 34km (21miles).  I normally average about 35-40km on a full charge with normal city driving; but I've stretched that to as high as 67km in ideal conditions and driving on hilly roads where you can get lots of regen braking.  But in the winter when it is cold and you are using cabin heat the range will drop significantly to about 20-22km from both the temperature extreme which affects the battery and even worse if you're heating the cabin electrically. 

Curious to see how you make out with the Corsair GT, please update your experience after you've driven it for a while. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

Bear in mind that the official rated EV range and the projected range on your screen is always an estimate and will vary wildly depending on your driving conditions, outside temperature, use of climate control, etc.

My Aviator GT has an official rated EV range of 34km (21miles).  I normally average about 35-40km on a full charge with normal city driving; but I've stretched that to as high as 67km in ideal conditions and driving on hilly roads where you can get lots of regen braking.  But in the winter when it is cold and you are using cabin heat the range will drop significantly to about 20-22km from both the temperature extreme which affects the battery and even worse if you're heating the cabin electrically. 

Curious to see how you make out with the Corsair GT, please update your experience after you've driven it for a while. 

My next planned long trip won't be until December.  I know the cold will affect the range.  I'll be traveling around 600 miles each way.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rampagex7 said:

That is hilarious!  My company just recently leased two 2021 Toyota RAV4 Primes (PHEV) back in February and I could not agree more!  The "pedestrian alert" EV noise when you put it in reverse is awful and ridiculously loud.  I don't know what engineer at Toyota came up with their stupid EV noise but it could definitely be improved and lower the volume as well.  There is no way to disable it and I've can't seem to find a fuse for it to pull out either.

Thankfully the EV noise on my 2020 Aviator GT is much more subtle and soothing.  How is it on your new Corsair GT?  I would think they probably used the same speaker and sound as the Aviator.

The pedestrian alert on the Corsair GT is audible inside the vehicle but it isn't that overbearing Toyota noise.   Obviously, somebody didn't listen to the sound when they approved that.  LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

The pedestrian alert on the Corsair GT is audible inside the vehicle but it isn't that overbearing Toyota noise.   Obviously, somebody didn't listen to the sound when they approved that.  LOL 

I can't even hear the alert noise on my Aviator from inside unless I have a window open.  Although it is a very well insulated cabin and I believe even the side windows are laminated for sound so that probably makes it harder to hear it also. 

The must have made it louder on the Corsair if you can hear it inside.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...