Sync 4 Question - Modem

road turtle

30 minutes ago, road turtle said:

It's $20 monthly to keep the modem activated.  I know not paying that I'll lose hotspot.  How much Navigation content is lost without continuing the service?

You don't lose anything in any content.  That modem is strictly to act as a hotspot.  

I activated the modem so I could get the Lincoln Access Reward points only.  When the 90 day/3 GB trial is over I won't be renewing it.  I had it on my Nautilus and it was awful.  It was slow and really didn't offer anything that I couldn't get via my regular cell service.  The hotspot operates off AT&T cellular towers.  AT&T cellular service is horrible in my area.  I couldn't justify spending $200 a year or $20 per month for something I never use.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I believe connected navigation (if equipped) requires the modem as well as the Ford pass app features.

That's what I was afraid of.  I'm going to be hard pressed to pay $20 a month to be able to start or lock the car from my phone.  Connected nav is a bit more concerning, however, I use a Garmin when towing, and always use waze.

1 hour ago, kenneths said:

Are you saying my 2017 Platinum had built in navigation? The truck I have ordered is a King Ranch will also have built in Navigation?

Your 2017 had normal built in sync 3 navigation.  Nothing “connected”.  

For 2022 it appears the Lariat and King Ranch only come with Connected Navigation which uses the built in modem (but does not require a data plan from AT&T) and is free for 90 days.  After that you have to subscribe to keep navigation.  Bonus is you get constantly updated maps and live traffic, etc.

Only Limited and Platinum get connected built in nav which comes with a free 3 year subscription to maps, traffic, etc and without a subscription reverts to what your 2017 has.

I don’t see any option for built in nav on lariat or KR.

You can still use Waze or Google maps via AA/CP.

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

Your 2017 had normal built in sync 3 navigation.  Nothing “connected”.  

For 2022 it appears the Lariat and King Ranch only come with Connected Navigation which uses the built in modem (but does not require a data plan from AT&T) and is free for 90 days.  After that you have to subscribe to keep navigation.  Bonus is you get constantly updated maps and live traffic, etc.

Only Limited and Platinum get connected built in nav which comes with a free 3 year subscription to maps, traffic, etc and without a subscription reverts to what your 2017 has.

I don’t see any option for built in nav on lariat or KR.

You can still use Waze or Google maps via AA/CP.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. I wonder how much it is a month to keep the navigation? Not that it works great or anything but I am paying for a truck with Navigation in it!!!!!!

14 hours ago, akirby said:

Thats for the wifi hotspot.

Connected Nav is much cheaper at $80/yr.

I don't understand why you have to pay monthly for something you payed for when you bought the truck in the first place. And $80 per year that's $6.66666666 a month! I don't like that number! 

6 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

I believe it reverts to standard navigation (as opposed to connected) once the subscription runs out, correct?

Only if you get the “connected built in nav”.  If you have “connected nav” without a subscription you have no navigation at all.  At least that’s how it reads.

8 hours ago, akirby said:

Only if you get the “connected built in nav”.  If you have “connected nav” without a subscription you have no navigation at all.  At least that’s how it reads.

Yep, I read it again and I believe you're correct.  Seems stupid, but I almost never use my built-in nav in my truck anyway...it's much easier and quicker to use maps and Car Play.

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Yep, I read it again and I believe you're correct.  Seems stupid, but I almost never use my built-in nav in my truck anyway...it's much easier and quicker to use maps and Car Play.

It’s really confusing, especially having sync 3 and sync 4 out at the same time with different features.

I guess they’re trying to milk what’s left of the built in nav market as people transition to AA or CP.  

To me it would seem easier to just offer connected nav as a subscription, period for those who don’t want to use AA/CP.   The only downside to that is if you’re outside ATT cell coverage.  

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

It’s really confusing, especially having sync 3 and sync 4 out at the same time with different features.

I guess they’re trying to milk what’s left of the built in nav market as people transition to AA or CP.  

To me it would seem easier to just offer connected nav as a subscription, period for those who don’t want to use AA/CP.   The only downside to that is if you’re outside ATT cell coverage.  

Being outside AT&T cell coverage is the only time I use my built-in nav since our phones are AT&T.  It just seems bizarre that they won't have a fall-back option for everyone with nav. 

This is just one of the many pieces to Ford's SAAS income they are working to build.

Started look at this since I switched from platinum to king ranch.  Kind of sucks

Eligible vehicles receive a complimentary 90-day trial of navigation services that begins on the new vehicle warranty start date. Customers must unlock the navigation service trial by activating the eligible vehicle with a FordPass member account. If not subscribed by the end of the complimentary period, the navigation service will terminate. Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. FordPass App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available via a download. Message and data rates may apply.

• Like 1

I bought an XLT with the sync 3 and opted for no navigation.

I bought a Garmin 890 to keep on the dashes I have never liked the BS of the factory navigation. Our Buick is 6 years old and it cost $150 to update the navigation and I refuse to do it.

But instead of dealing with the connected navigation you can use your phone and connected directly to sync 3 even with no Factory navigation, as long as you have a good internet signal you use Google Maps as your navigation in your truck. 

And if you're looking for a good traveling/ Towing GPS the Garmin 890 is the best I have ever seen I love that thing....

20211008_191056.jpg