2022 Ford Focus Facelift Revealed

16 hours ago, bzcat said:

US buyers are less demanding, that's not new, nor is it an uniquely Ford situation. Look at the interior of CR-V sold in Asia and the one sold in the US for example... night and day difference in quality of the plastic. The Asian CR-V is awash is soft touch material and stitched leather while the US version is comparatively low rent with hard plastics. 

Focus buyers in Europe has high expectations so Ford meets them or otherwise it can't compete. It's that simple. 

I understand the point, but that make sense in Ford's, not in Lincoln's, of course Lincoln is focused on US but they compete with luxury brands that sell in US and Europe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I understand the point, but that make sense in Ford's, not in Lincoln's, of course Lincoln is focused on US but they compete with luxury brands that sell in US and Europe

Aviator has been declared best in class many times.  The screen is not a big problem.

8 hours ago, AGR said:

Judging by production figures, it looks like Bronco Sport took most of their buyers from Escape.

Not the current Escape.  If you mean the previous gen that might be true to some extent but I think Bronco sport and Maverick have very high conquest rates - 50% or higher I think.  More importantly they are selling without big incentives.  The old escape had volume but only with big incentives and lots of cheap SE models.  I bet profits are orders of magnitude higher on the new ones.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Aviator has been declared best in class many times.  The screen is not a big problem.

Correct.  There is a point of diminishing returns on screen size.  Whether it be phones, tablets, cars.  Putting a large screen in a car gives a premium illusion for not much cost.  What matters more once you get to a 10” screen or so is the resolution, brightness, color quality, etc.   There could be differences in screen specifications between the Navigator screen and what is used  in the Focus other than size.  The aviator screen is just fine.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Not the current Escape.  If you mean the previous gen that might be true to some extent but I think Bronco sport and Maverick have very high conquest rates - 50% or higher I think.....

Actually, the Bronco Sport has a 63% conquest rate, most coming from Jeep.

"The same also holds true of the Ford Bronco Sport, which has enjoyed a tremendous number of conquest sales – 63 percent of its total thus far – with most of them coming from Jeep."

https://fordauthority.com/2021/09/jeep-exec-dunks-on-ford-bronco-while-owners-defect-to-the-blue-oval/ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

So basically Ford is giving the car buyers to the Japanese and Korean manufacturers and replacing them with Jeep buyers...

No-They are getting out of shrinking market that has almost no profit margin on it because its become commoditized.

Sedan sales keep shrinking year after year 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Not the current Escape.  If you mean the previous gen that might be true to some extent but I think Bronco sport and Maverick have very high conquest rates - 50% or higher I think.  More importantly they are selling without big incentives.  The old escape had volume but only with big incentives and lots of cheap SE models.  I bet profits are orders of magnitude higher on the new ones.

I doubt the new Escape is much more profitable than the old (before the chip shortage screwed every thing up). Production is still heavily biased to the SE models and the 2020 models had $3K to $5K rebates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

No-They are getting out of shrinking market that has almost no profit margin on it because its become commoditized.

Sedan sales keep shrinking year after year 

Exactly, the only way I can see ford reentering the sedan market in North America is if they make something like a mustang sedan. Something that's seen as a more aspirational product with a higher price point and more substantial profit margin. Even if they sell fewer mustang sedans, it makes more sense than bringing back the fusion or tarus.

• Like 3

Looking at Toyota, it’s clear that they’re keeping Corolla and Camry going while the transition to utilities continues

but at some point, their car plant capacity will need to be rationalised and then changed to new era technology,

be that BEVs or PHEVs or hydrogen.

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Looking at Toyota, it’s clear that they’re keeping Corolla and Camry going while the transition to utilities continues

but at some point, their car plant capacity will need to be rationalised and then changed to new era technology,

be that BEVs or PHEVs or hydrogen.

The Corolla Cross probably means the end for the sedan version and especially the hatchback. Sedans and Costco just don't go together. Maybe sedans and rent a car, but not Costco and other big box stores. 

Having spent a fair amount of time at Costco, I can report that most Costco shopping carts aren't even full to "water level", never mind heaped like mine. This is especially true in coastal areas where homes are small- At the Naples Costco it's common to see customers carrying their whole purchase! Yet the lot is full of jacked up four wheel drive SUVs and pickups that the owners supposedly bought for Costco runs and northern winter driving when they haven't spent a winter up north in years! 

Meanwhile I drive down in January from up north in my Golf hatch, fold the back seats down, load the heaped contents of a Costco cart, then continue to Home Depot to top off the lead...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

I doubt the new Escape is much more profitable than the old (before the chip shortage screwed every thing up). Production is still heavily biased to the SE models and the 2020 models had $3K to $5K rebates.

The crossover market will be commoditized just like the small and mid-size sedan market - hopefully Bronco and Bronco Sport give Ford an edge. 

I expect Corolla and Camry sedans to be around for at least 20 more years, as they have monopolized the market for practical sedans. 

Edited by ehaase
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, ehaase said:

The crossover market will be commoditized 

Yes sir ehaase. Actually, it already is commoditized. It's an ever expanding sea of boring and/or ugly transportation appliances. Hatchbacks and wagons/estates are fusing with the crossover market. Examples include Focus Active and Corolla Cross.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Having spent a fair amount of time at Costco, I can report that most Costco shopping carts aren't even full to "water level", never mind heaped like mine. This is especially true in coastal areas where homes are small- At the Naples Costco it's common to see customers carrying their whole purchase! Yet the lot is full of jacked up four wheel drive SUVs and pickups that the owners supposedly bought for Costco runs and northern winter driving when they haven't spent a winter up north in years! 

Meanwhile I drive down in January from up north in my Golf hatch, fold the back seats down, load the heaped contents of a Costco cart, then continue to Home Depot to top off the lead...

I would think most use Costco for paper towels and toilet paper in bulk, and they definitely fill a Costco jumbo cart and fill up much of flat cargo area in medium sized crossovers. Yeah, I fit that stuff in my Taurus too back in the day. But I needed the back seats folded down to do it. 

32 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

OK, let's look at just what Ford has accomplished with this transition- They killed off a bunch of low to medium margin cars and replaced them with low to medium margin crossovers, SUVs, and pickups... After spending a few billion on that transaction, what's that accomplish?

Maverick, Bronco and Bronco Sport have basically 1 direct competitor each.  There are a dozen sedans in each class.  There is no reason to believe those 3 products aren’t high margin.  Same for Ranger.

Edited by akirby

I'm talking about the lower priced "E" Crossovers/SUVs. It was nice for Ford to bring back the Ranchero in "Maverick" form, but the Ranchero and other unibody pickups have seldom been big sellers. As for the Broncos, just because Stellantis can manage to move 200K Wranglers a year doesn't mean that niche market will expand to keep the Bronco lines busy.  As for Ranger in USA+Canada, Toyota still owns that market while Nissan, GM, and Stelantis are getting a few nibbles.

I think a modern day Ranchero would be a Mustang based pickup. I think the Maverick will succeed as it resembles a mini F series, not a modern day Ranchero. However, I think $30,000 is the maximum 95% of people will pay for a Maverick or Bronco Sport. They would be more profitable than a new Focus or Fusion, but I imagine the F series will continue to be the source of the bulk of Ford profits. 

3 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

OK, let's look at just what Ford has accomplished with this transition- They killed off a bunch of low to medium margin cars and replaced them with low to medium margin crossovers, SUVs, and pickups... 

2 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I'm talking about the lower priced "E" Crossovers/SUVs.

They replaced Fusion/MKZ with Maverick and Bronco Sport.  They replaced Focus with Ranger and Bronco. Ecosport and Edge will be replaced with BEVs.

If you don’t think Bronco and Ranger will bring in big profit on big sales you’re living in some alternate reality.  They don’t have to outsell Tacoma and Wrangler to be highly successful.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

The Corolla Cross probably means the end for the sedan version and especially the hatchback. Sedans and Costco just don't go together. Maybe sedans and rent a car, but not Costco and other big box stores. 

Even rental companies have switched to more utilities, they’re following the vehicles that most people now want to rent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ehaase said:

I think a modern day Ranchero would be a Mustang based pickup. I think the Maverick will succeed as it resembles a mini F series, not a modern day Ranchero. However, I think $30,000 is the maximum 95% of people will pay for a Maverick or Bronco Sport. They would be more profitable than a new Focus or Fusion, but I imagine the F series will continue to be the source of the bulk of Ford profits. 

Maverick is the vehicle size that North America wanted way back when the T6 Ranger was being formulated  in 2006.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

OK, let's look at just what Ford has accomplished with this transition- They killed off a bunch of low to medium margin cars and replaced them with low to medium margin crossovers, SUVs, and pickups... After spending a few billion on that transaction, what's that accomplish?

Michigan Assembly, where the Bronco and Ranger are made, is expected to produce 1 billion dollars in profit for Ford.  Not bad for low-margin vehicles.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/04/17/ranger-bronco-expected-drive-billion-dollar-profit-michigan-assembly/3495804002/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, akirby said:

They replaced Fusion/MKZ with Maverick and Bronco Sport.  They replaced Focus with Ranger and Bronco. Ecosport and Edge will be replaced with BEVs.

If you don’t think Bronco and Ranger will bring in big profit on big sales you’re living in some alternate reality.  They don’t have to outsell Tacoma and Wrangler to be highly successful.

Ford car owners aren't making the big jump to Maverick, Broncos, or Rangers. Ford has lost 80% of them and the 20% that traded for Fords more likely traded for Escapes, Edges, etc..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Michigan Assembly, where the Bronco and Ranger are made, is expected to produce 1 billion dollars in profit for Ford.  Not bad for low-margin vehicles.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/04/17/ranger-bronco-expected-drive-billion-dollar-profit-michigan-assembly/3495804002/

If they can ever run it at capacity like they did when the plant built Foci.