Any annoying dings or chimes to turn off?

Kory04

I'm not sure which features, if any the dealer will be willing to turn off, but it would be nice to have a list ready just in case they will do it.  I know they won't do the seat belt chime for safety reasons, but what about other ones.  I've heard that some vehicles do a double honk if you get out of the vehicle with it running, and our taurus will honk if you get out of the vehicle with it shut off and keys still inside.  My ordered truck will be an XLT with an actual key instead of a FOB, so maybe these wont be a problem for me?  Any other dings I don't yet know about?

23 minutes ago, acdebacanm said:

The double honk if you step out of the truck and close the doors if you have your keys on you. We open a lot of gates on the ranch and the timing is absolutely horrid with that honk. As soon as you get to the front of the truck it blasts you with the horn twice.

It’s so easy to avoid that - don’t close the door all the way.

1 hour ago, gjones1081 said:

you can turn off that double honk with forscan.  takes 5 mins.

After buying the obd-II interface then taking the time to find, download and learn how to use it and hoping you don’t screw something up.

Works great for the tech savvy folks.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

After buying the obd-II interface then taking the time to find, download and learn how to use it and hoping you don’t screw something up.

Works great for the tech savvy folks.

Well to each their own I suppose. The cable is under $20 and there are countless step by step tutorials on YouTube. Plus there are many other things that can be adjusted quickly. Folding the mirrors when you lock the truck, keeping the fog lights on with high beams, etc. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gjones1081 said:

Well to each their own I suppose. The cable is under $20 and there are countless step by step tutorials on YouTube. Plus there are many other things that can be adjusted quickly. Folding the mirrors when you lock the truck, keeping the fog lights on with high beams, etc. 

You're overestimating the average person’s ability and willingness to do that type of stuff.

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

You're overestimating the average person’s ability and willingness to do that type of stuff.

Possibly but I like to push people put of their comfort zone a little. I guess for me, if there is something I don't like and I have the ability to change it, then I'm going to do what I need to in order to make that happen. 

• Thanks 1

I'm with akirby here.  I've seen the tutorials, and they look easy....but I think a guy could make a really big, really expensive mess in a hurry if something goes wrong.  As an average consumer, I'm not going to take the risk of DIY.   An example, I asked our computer whiz to tweak settings on our video surveillience system, he was too busy and just told me to play around with it....well, I spent all day trying to make a simple tweak to make cameras more sensitive and ended up making them non-functional....I spend all day trying to do what would have taken the expert 5 minutes to do in the first place, and he spent a couple hours fixing my damage afterwards.....It was a case of inexperienced me using a cell phone app, that looked and functioned completely differently than the desktop app from the same company.  Not getting anywhere on the cell phone, switching to desktop, back to cell phone...etc.  It was truly a mess.  

Edited by Kory04

6 hours ago, Kory04 said:

I'm with akirby here.  I've seen the tutorials, and they look easy....but I think a guy could make a really big, really expensive mess in a hurry if something goes wrong.  As an average consumer, I'm not going to take the risk of DIY.   An example, I asked our computer whiz to tweak settings on our video surveillience system, he was too busy and just told me to play around with it....well, I spent all day trying to make a simple tweak to make cameras more sensitive and ended up making them non-functional....I spend all day trying to do what would have taken the expert 5 minutes to do in the first place, and he spent a couple hours fixing my damage afterwards.....It was a case of inexperienced me using a cell phone app, that looked and functioned completely differently than the desktop app from the same company.  Not getting anywhere on the cell phone, switching to desktop, back to cell phone...etc.  It was truly a mess.  

Well like I said, to each their own. There's really no way to mess it up but I'm not here to convince anyone to do anything. You simply asked about turning off chimes or dings and I was letting you know it can easily be done. 

Edited by gjones1081

The list is to long...my truck chimes all the time. The worst was the baby in the back notification when I picked up the truck. Stupidest thing ever, but I was able to turn that off on the dash. There are many others that are annoying and maybe at some point I will try to have them addressed.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:31 AM, akirby said:

It’s so easy to avoid that - don’t close the door all the way.

What you’re saying makes sense but if you live in a big city like I do, I want to close my door.  I often borrow my wife’s CTS to run up to our neighborhood convenience store and when it’s 110 * I want to leave the vehicle running with the AC on and not have our vehicle stolen. 

On 10/19/2021 at 12:50 PM, Kory04 said:

You are becoming “wise”. As we get older, we realize our time spent vs dollars?

6 hours ago, cjrazus1 said:

What you’re saying makes sense but if you live in a big city like I do, I want to close my door.  I often borrow my wife’s CTS to run up to our neighborhood convenience store and when it’s 110 * I want to leave the vehicle running with the AC on and not have our vehicle stolen. 

Leave the fob in the vehicle and use the keypad.

• Thanks 1