My first 5th wheel tow

road turtle

Wow, just wow.

I've pulled trailers of various types for decades.  First 5th wheel, and I'm a bit over trucked for a 30' 5th wheel with a F350D CCLB, but wow.  We had a 9+ hour drive home after picking up the new trailer.  I drove first shift of 3 hours, I was comfortable in the first two minutes.  Wife took the 2nd shift, and some dumb A (me) forgot to program the GPS to avoid Chitown,.  I was sleeping at the critical junction and she followed the GPS, which put us in Chitown, slightly after rush hour, complete with non stop construction and accidents.  She was in the drivers seat for FIVE HOURS!  We have virtually no chance to change seats, and I was thankful for the HUGE gas tank.  Side note, we were over 800 miles on the first tank of gas driving to the RV dealer, without refueling.  She handled it like a pro!  Finally cleared Chitown, and the first oasis on the toll road was closed.  Next oasis, I looked at the long line of trucks getting off, and said can you continue?  Finally got to a truck stop, to fuel up, get something to eat, and switch seats.

Went to get back on the freeway and see nothing but a sea of brake lights... nope, staying on surface streets and getting around the accident.  Side not, I believe a trooper racing to this accident, and himself gotten into an accident several miles earlier.  So, on surface street, advertised height of my brand new trailer is 13'5".  I knew I was sitting slightly nose high, how much, I didn't know.  Came up to a bridge with a posted height of 13'8".  Puckered cheeks is an understatement, but we cleared the underpass.

Late, driving for way more hours than we should have been driving, but a bad case of get home itis.  Now it's late, heavy rain, and I set the cruise and adaptive cruise kept me behind and following an 18 wheeler.  I just followed his tail lights through even through yet more construction.

Get home and pulled into an empty lot next to our home.  All that rain made the ground really soft.  Moving the trailer the next morning, made me really appreciate the 4WD.  Even two wheels with locked rear diff, was just digging a hole.

We have pulled our TT for almost 10 hours and I said never again.  This 12 hour drive wiped her out for a couple of days, and I wasn't far behind her.

The capability of this truck surprised me.  It was barely breathing hard and ride was incredibly smooth.  Sync 4 did very well, but we are barely touching on it's capabilities.  Very happy with the truck, and also the 5th wheel!

Congrats on getting your new toy home! Heck...you got 2 new toys???! If I remember right that fifth wheel was ready before your truck correct? Good to hear ya got the truck and camper home finally. Now you get to go out and buy all new camper gear for it (unless you kept the stuff from a last camper). When we upgraded campers we decided to buy all new EVERYTHING for it......i'll never do that again I think we spent 3k in trivial crap. (Mats, hoses, electrical, chairs, dishes, bedding, ect ect ect, that stuff adds up quick!)

What is the fifth wheel weigh in at?

And where is the first trip going to be? Mountains or coast?

• Like 1

fifth wheel and gooseneck trailers are a dream compared to bumper pulls in the handling department. I had a gooseneck equipment trailer years ago and am looking forward to another when the new truck arrives(current truck does not have provisions for it and wasn't interested in adding them).

IRC, the dry weight on this 5th wheel came in at 11,600.  GVWR is 14,300.

5th wheel arrived at the dealer mid August.  We leave mid november.

We had a lot of stuff from the TT, but wife wanted some new stuff too.  I'm putting in a bigger and better TV, including surround sound.

• Like 1