Using external SSD for audio

I bought a portable SSD that can connect via USB-A or USB-C.  I have a substantial collection of music CDs and would like to rip them to the drive so I have an alternate source of music other than FM or SiriusXM.

I formatted the drive to exFAT.  I am using a Windows PC and Windows Media Player to rip the music to the drive.  I have the settings to use WMA (lossless) format for the audio.

I've tried ripping directly to the drive as well as to my PC and then copying over to the drive.

When I plug it into my car in the USB ports in my console, I get a message saying my device isn't supported.  Is this because it is a SSD and not a USB or am I doing something wrong in formatting?

Help!

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 7:57 AM, RedHoncho01 said:

I'm always a little leery of Google results as sometimes they take you to nefarious sites.

I was able to locate the Ford SYNC Forum and joined it.

What did you find? 

From the 2013 Volvo S60 was limited to FAT32, which has partition size limitations.

Presently I'm using a 32 GB USB thumb drive (Actually the Samsung Fit Plus for a smaller physical drive).

On 1/8/2022 at 3:07 PM, jniffen said:

What did you find? 

From the 2013 Volvo S60 was limited to FAT32, which has partition size limitations.

Presently I'm using a 32 GB USB thumb drive (Actually the Samsung Fit Plus for a smaller physical drive).

There isn't enough power for an SSD to operate.  I purchased a 1 GB USB thumb drive that works perfectly.

I just need to take the time to burn all my CDs to the drive.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 11:46 AM, RedHoncho01 said:

There isn't enough power for an SSD to operate.  I purchased a 1 GB USB thumb drive that works perfectly.

I just need to take the time to burn all my CDs to the drive.  

One GB seems small, did you mean a 16 GB thumb drive?