2022 GMC Sierra Thread

rperez817

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, akirby said:

Doesn’t look bad.  I guess they’re leaving Silverado to cover the lower end of the market?

Will be very interesting to see how Silvererra and Rivian compete with Lightning and how that affects  ICE sales.

The renderings I've seen of the Silverado look more unibody crossover look than actual truck.  We'll see if that's what it turns out to be.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

Even though the 2.7 has good numbers-the "faithful" have a hard time getting past the "4 cylinder thing". Then you have the "You Tubers" bashing it as well because.....it's a 4 cylinder.

GMC conveniently omits cylinder count for the 2.7L engine for ICE Sierra build and price tool. The V8 gasoline and 6-cylinder diesel engines do show the cylinder count. 

image.thumb.png.99c92b9ff8a625b5e4ed3930c554dae9.png

8 hours ago, AGR said:

I think it looks pretty good, but the cost of entry is steep. I also don’t understand why they chose to go the Avalanche route instead of a traditional bed.  I’m not a huge fan of that arrangement.  I like the power numbers though, that’s pretty great.  I’m guessing this thing weighs a lot to get that range. Overall, nice design.  

8 hours ago, AGR said:

Thank you AGR. Here is the official press release from GM for Sierrra EV. GMC Continues the Electric Truck Revolution: Introducing the First-Ever 2024 Sierra EV

Highlights.

• GM-estimated range of 400 miles (640 km) on a full charge
  • GM-estimated 754 horsepower and 785 lb-ft of torque in Max Power mode
  • Onboard Power Station Pro turns Sierra EV Denali into a mobile power source, with up to 10.2kW of off-board power that can be used in a variety of situations
  • 800 Volt DC Public Fast Charging capable at up to 350kW, enabling up to 100 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes — the best charging capability in the EV truck segment
  • 16.8-inch-diagonal freeform infotainment touchscreen — the largest ever in a Sierra
  • Trailering-capable Super Cruise6 hands-free driver assistance technology on more than 400,000 miles of compatible roads in the U.S. and Canada
  • Customizable drive modes, including Max Power mode, which enables 0-60 mph acceleration in less than 4.5 seconds (GM estimate)
  • Air Ride Adaptive Suspension that both enables a more comfortable ride as well as the ability to raise or lower the truck by approximately 2 inches
  • EV-enabled propulsion technologies including Regen on Demand Braking, One-Pedal Driving and 4-Wheel Steer with CrabWalk
  • Versatility and next-generation GMC functional design enabled by the Ultium Platform
  • GMC-first MultiPro Midgate™ expandable bed offers room for hauling longer items, while still enabling room for a rear-seat passenger
  • eTrunk™ increases cargo room capability with lockable, weatherproof compartment at the front of the vehicle
  • Up to 9,500 pounds (4,309 kg) max towing capacity
  • Authentic premium materials including grain-matched open-pore wood (including a wood veneer induction wireless charger9), aluminum, etched stainless steel and more that customers have come to expect from the Denali name
  • Bold, all-new design features including a panoramic fixed glass roof
  • A sleek, modern interior crafted with exceptional attention to detail — from seat stitching that invokes the bold lines of the truck’s profile to a streamlined dashboard — lays the foundation for the future of the brand

No empty weight listed for the GMC, but its Hummer sibling is 9,640 lb, and its payload is a Herculean1,300 lb; only 200 lb less than a Maverick.

It seems we're at the same stage in electrification we were with VCRs 50 years ago, when they offered sub-480 pixel resolution, manual rewind, were the size of a carry on suitcase, and cost $1,000-$1,400, or $7,200-$10,000 in today's dollars.

We're getting there, but progress takes time. And front money.

Working the numbers backwards, the GMC Sierra Denali EV would've set you back ~$15,200 in '72,

• ice-capades changed the title to 2022 GMC Sierra Thread
50 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

The slant of the back of the cab ruins the whole design for me. The same goes for the hummer and Silverado ev. I assume it has something to do with adding some extra support, but I still don’t like how it looks.  

I don’t know if there is a technical reason or just design bu it’s a holdover from the Avalanche.

My guess is that it has something to do with the airflow when the mid gate is open.  It's likely there to keep turbulence down and keep the wind from blowing debris back into the vehicle.  In a normal truck, just having the back glass open will mean any small debris in the back of the truck will end up inside the cab.

• Like 1

I think it looks better than the Avalanche….er Silverado, but I’ve long preferred GMC styling to Chevy styling.

The interior does look quite nice.   I haven’t had a chance to get over to GMI yet, but I wonder what their reaction to the Mach E/Lightning style tablet setup is.   I’m sure it’s the best thing since sliced bread, while it was horrible on the Fords lol.

• Like 3

On 10/21/2022 at 7:14 AM, tbone said:

I think it looks pretty good, but the cost of entry is steep. I also don’t understand why they chose to go the Avalanche route instead of a traditional bed.  I’m not a huge fan of that arrangement.  I like the power numbers though, that’s pretty great.  I’m guessing this thing weighs a lot to get that range. Overall, nice design.  

Not directed at you in particular...

There's something I've been wondering since GM showed the Silverado EV. Is the separate cab and box actually still needed on half ton pickups? Or is it just tradition/looks? Obviously, it was needed back in the day, but the frames are much stronger and stiffer now.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new truck destined for BOC did the same. Maybe they will do both: a more traditional F150 Lightning made in Dearborn, and a "unibody" F100 Lightning for BOC.