CENTER CONSOLE SHIFTER Vs on the column? Why not?

OREGUNFIRE

1 hour ago, Rcpd34 said:

I think the console shift takes up a lot of valuable real estate, but if you really want it, there's a company that offers a conversion.

Agree.  Console shifters take up a bunch of space.  I'd much rather have piano key like the Lincolns or push button than console shift.

44 minutes ago, BikerNM said:

Someone on the FTE forum converted from column to console shifter themselves.  It looked quite involved.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1624203-f250-floor-console-shifter-conversion.html

Wow.  Other than getting seasick watching the video, he did a great job.  I don't think I'd try it, but I like it because it's different.

I never thought about the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.. Thats a great place.. And I agree with Nmfiredawg, it is comfortable, plus is just looks better. I have the center console vs the bench seat, hell I didnt even know the 40-20-40 seat was still even available with all the safety requirements these days: no airbag and no 3pt seat belt. I wouldnt ride there..

Screenshot_20211024-003940_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0a038993e3828015b73ceb9c8843834f.jpg

6 hours ago, OREGUNFIRE said:

I never thought about the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.. Thats a great place.. And I agree with Nmfiredawg, it is comfortable, plus is just looks better. I have the center console vs the bench seat, hell I didnt even know the 40-20-40 seat was still even available with all the safety requirements these days: no airbag and no 3pt seat belt. I wouldnt ride there..

You don't ride in vehicles unless they have airbags and three-point harnesses?  So you won't ride in a car from the 60s?

They do have a 3 point seat belt.

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

On 10/22/2021 at 1:37 PM, Ford truck guy said:

My only issue is when I get out of my 2019 F150 and jump into my 2020 F350.. I am waving my hands looking for shifters !  !?

Similar issue here when I go from my Lincoln Corsair (and prior Lincoln MKC) that have piano keys ( and prior push buttons) then jump in my 2005 F150 I poke at the dash then it's "oh yeah, grab the column shifter"....lol

14 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Screenshot_20211024-003940_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0a038993e3828015b73ceb9c8843834f.jpg

You don't ride in vehicles unless they have airbags and three-point harnesses?  So you won't ride in a car from the 60s?

They do have a 3 point seat belt.

I dont even have a car from the 2000's let alone the sixty's but it would be cool.  I have been in the fire/ems game for a long time and truly have seen the benefits of the modern safety improvements. This video shows old vs new in a crash test, and not even that new. 

3 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

My wife's Escape has the dial shifter and I like it.  Easy enough to use, and when you park it, you don't even have to put it in park, just hit the button to shut off the engine.

The Lincoln push buttons work the same way.  Shut it off and it’s automatically in park.  Love that feature.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The Lincoln push buttons work the same way.  Shut it off and it’s automatically in park.  Love that feature.

My wife is still having trouble just putting it off without putting it in park first.  You stop, car shuts off.  Put it in park, car starts back up.  Push button, shuts off.  Much simpler just to shut it off and avoid the restart.  She has trouble with new things and changes though.  ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

My wife is still having trouble just putting it off without putting it in park first.  You stop, car shuts off.  Put it in park, car starts back up.  Push button, shuts off.  Much simpler just to shut it off and avoid the restart.  She has trouble with new things and changes though.  ?‍♂️

Our MKX does t have auto stop start but I can see how that would be confusing.   My F150 XLT has stop start but still has an archaic key you have to turn because I wasn’t willing to spend an extra $10k on the Lariat.

My wife has trouble looking at the nav map to see exactly where to turn when there are 2 streets close together.  She’s slowing down saying which one is it while I’m looking at the map which CLEARLY shows that it’s the second one.   Daughter also refuses to use the back up camera when backing up.  I just don’t get it.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Our MKX does t have auto stop start but I can see how that would be confusing.   My F150 XLT has stop start but still has an archaic key you have to turn because I wasn’t willing to spend an extra $10k on the Lariat.

My wife has trouble looking at the nav map to see exactly where to turn when there are 2 streets close together.  She’s slowing down saying which one is it while I’m looking at the map which CLEARLY shows that it’s the second one.   Daughter also refuses to use the back up camera when backing up.  I just don’t get it.

That's OK, my wife and daughter can't back up with or without the camera!  Oh, and don't get me started on my mother-in-law!  Sheesh!

I learned to drive by backing the boat trailer down the ramp at about 14. After that, going forward was easy! :) 

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FathomBlueSS said:

I prefer the column for two main reasons.

1. More room in console area for storage.

2. When I snowplowed I had the plow controller lower,  I couldn’t imagine doing it with a console shifter

I am just happy we didn’t get the dial shifter like Ram and Expeditions!

I had the 2014 ram eco diesel with the dial shifter.. I cant tell you how many times i put my RADIO IN REVERSE when a good song came on.. Hated it.. Now paddle shifters on the wheel.... or at least the ability to shift it there.. HELL YA. 

• Like 2