CENTER CONSOLE SHIFTER Vs on the column? Why not?

OREGUNFIRE

On 10/27/2021 at 4:08 PM, mbushardjr said:

This is interesting. I was wishing I could order the truck with the console shifter. One thing I know I will miss from my 2010 F150 Platinum. 

I thought I would miss it, having console shifters for decades.  I enjoy the extra space / cup holders.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Quigs said:

In the Super Duty center console there is a top layer of cupholders that can slide over and essentially turns that whole storage area into four cupholders instead of the two that are there with a center console shifter.

Aha - I missed the sliding top on the left side.   That would be handy although I don’t have any issue with the ones on the right side.

2 hours ago, Quigs said:

In the Super Duty center console there is a top layer of cupholders that can slide over and essentially turns that whole storage area into four cupholders instead of the two that are there with a center console shifter.

I would have never found this cool feature had my wife not been poking around during our walkthrough at the dealer.  It is not obvious if you didn't know how it works.  

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

4 cupholders...2 for me and 2 for my wife.  Coffee and water each. :) 

On camping trips, I routinely have coffee and water both, so I would hate to lose the 2 cupholders.  I do love console shift, but not that much. :)

Well you also have 2 on the rear of the console, right (I do).  Not as convenient but not that bad.

2 hours ago, Shrike9 said:

I never use the paddle shifters in the Raptor, they seem like a total waste to me, but I really like the console shifter, almost afraid to go back to a column shifter 

They’re very useful when you want to downshift before accelerating (when passing someone or before going up a big hill) and to hold a lower gear for more engine braking when going down long steep hills or mountains.  Otherwise sport and tow/haul mode work well.

3 hours ago, Shrike9 said:

I never use the paddle shifters in the Raptor, they seem like a total waste to me, but I really like the console shifter, almost afraid to go back to a column shifter 

I tow 16k plus and its a pain to push the lil buttons on the shifter if I want to control the transmission for climbing or decent while driving our curvy Mt. roads. I can never remember is the up button upshift or down shift and the steering wheel covers them. Ya ya first world problems. I never use my paddle shifters on my other vehicle as well but I dont tow with it either.

27 minutes ago, OREGUNFIRE said:

I tow 16k plus and its a pain to push the lil buttons on the shifter if I want to control the transmission for climbing or decent while driving our curvy Mt. roads. I can never remember is the up button upshift or down shift and the steering wheel covers them. Ya ya first world problems. I never use my paddle shifters on my other vehicle as well but I dont tow with it either.

Do you use tow/haul mode?  It should prevent the need to manually upshift or downshift in most cases.

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

Do you use tow/haul mode?  It should prevent the need to manually upshift or downshift in most cases.

I do but it is also variable based on the use of the gas pedal. If I select what gear I want manually it will not change, almost like a manual transmission *almost....

2 hours ago, akirby said:

They’re very useful when you want to downshift before accelerating (when passing someone or before going up a big hill) and to hold a lower gear for more engine braking when going down long steep hills or mountains.  Otherwise sport and tow/haul mode work well.

Have tried this and found it to be lacking 

However, the paddle shifters in our Dodge Charger SRT are excellent and I use them quite frequently, Ford should take a closer look at how dodge does it and copy them 

1 hour ago, OREGUNFIRE said:

I do not tow anything with my Raptor, but do spent quite a bit of time on very curvy mountain roads and really wish they were better programmed, but that is just me 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Why not let the computer manage the transmission, it's a whole lot smarter than I am

8 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

4 cupholders...2 for me and 2 for my wife.  Coffee and water each. :) 

On camping trips, I routinely have coffee and water both, so I would hate to lose the 2 cupholders.  I do love console shift, but not that much. :)

Don't forget the door pocket too :)  4 for you, and 4 for her

2 hours ago, Shrike9 said:

Have tried this and found it to be lacking 

However, the paddle shifters in our Dodge Charger SRT are excellent and I use them quite frequently, Ford should take a closer look at how dodge does it and copy them 

Are you serious?  Ford was the first to do selectshift way back in 1999 on the Lincoln LS and they’ve had paddles for at least 10 years.   The buttons on the shifter work fine on my F150.  I use them several times per week.  They also do double duty to allow you to lock out upper gears.

Not a Dodge invention.

2 hours ago, road turtle said:

Why not let the computer manage the transmission, it's a whole lot smarter than I am

Because the computer doesn’t know you intend to floor it to pass somebody 3 seconds from now.  It doesn’t know you want to keep your speed at 25 mph for several minutes without using the brakes descending a mountain.  Or maybe you want to keep it in a lower gear to have some fun.  It has limits.  Ford gives you multiple options.

56 minutes ago, akirby said:

Are you serious?  Ford was the first to do selectshift way back in 1999 on the Lincoln LS and they’ve had paddles for at least 10 years.   The buttons on the shifter work fine on my F150.  I use them several times per week.  They also do double duty to allow you to lock out upper gears.

Not a Dodge invention.

Did not say Dodge invented it, just that they have a better system & Ford needs to learn from Dodge 

I can pull the paddle once and hold it & the transmission drops to the lowest gear for maximum performance & then upshifts As needed due to performance 

Sure ya can lock out gears on the Raptor, but blah, when it’s in Sport mode the paddles are worthless instead of actually being useful 

If your trying to race with the manual shifting then just use sport mode. Manual shifting with a truck is for better control when towing. Ford most likely didn't care for it to be convenient cause it's not a feature designed to be used for your entire drive or as your primary choice of shifting.

If they do move it then paddle shifters or even just buttons on the steering wheel would be convenient. 

On 10/29/2021 at 8:28 PM, akirby said:

Because the computer doesn’t know you intend to floor it to pass somebody 3 seconds from now.  It doesn’t know you want to keep your speed at 25 mph for several minutes without using the brakes descending a mountain.  Or maybe you want to keep it in a lower gear to have some fun.  It has limits.  Ford gives you multiple options.

I had a lot of towing miles on my F150, and felt the computer did a most excellent job controlling speeds both up and down hill.

WOT will always downshift as required for the optimum performance.  And with having different drive modes available, I found the performance setting worked quite well, as does the tow mode.

Only one long tow with the SD and 5th wheel, again, I found the computer did an excellent job, but it was pretty much flat mid west.  We're going to FL in a couple of weeks, and while that won't put me in steep ascent or descent conditions, it will give me some experience.