Hertz Orders 100,000 Tesla Vehicles

ice-capades

Plus Tom Brady will be in some Hertz advertisements regarding its BEV fleet. ?

Reports from Bloomberg indicate that Hertz Corporation is paying close to full sticker price for these 100,000 Teslas. This could be good news for other automakers both startup and incumbent, as fleet sales transition from "dumping" at low or no profit to a more sustainable and profitable business model. Hertz Invests in Largest Electric Vehicle Rental Fleet and Partners with Seven-Time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady to Headline New Campaign - Oct 25, 2021

ElectricVehicle_1634924028979-HR.jpg

29 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Plus Tom Brady will be in some Hertz advertisements regarding its BEV fleet. ?

Reports from Bloomberg indicate that Hertz Corporation is paying close to full sticker price for these 100,000 Teslas. This could be good news for other automakers both startup and incumbent, as fleet sales transition from "dumping" at low or no profit to a more sustainable and profitable business model. Hertz Invests in Largest Electric Vehicle Rental Fleet and Partners with Seven-Time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady to Headline New Campaign - Oct 25, 2021

ElectricVehicle_1634924028979-HR.jpg

Hertz paying close to retail price for 100,000 vehicles proves Ford made the correct decision to show Mark Fields the door.

• Like 1

Hertz also recently went bankrupt (I'm pretty sure). So...breaking a relationship with a company that couldn't stay afloat is a good idea. The resources they're spending to get Teslas and Brady on TV isn't a wise approach to recovery, in my opinion. But then again...what do I know?!?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Soon to follow.  A fleet of Transit vans with portable diesel generators to re-charge the Tesla's that the clients didn't charge...

Maybe in the future Mark Fields will reconnect with his former employer Ford and get Hertz to buy F-150 Lightnings and E-Transits with Ford's Intelligent Backup Power system. And pay Ford full sticker price for those vehicles. ?

• Like 1

• ice-capades changed the title to Hertz Orders 100,000 Tesla Vehicles

20% of the fleet will be EV with the acquisition.  I’ll withhold judgment until I see the pricing for the rental and the charging.  Could be very enticing for business travelers if the total cost comes in line with business expense guidelines for rental cars.  If the pricing isn’t correct this could be another nail in Fields coffin.

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

I usually rent from Enterprise for work. Last two trips to TN ended up with Hertz because Enterprise was out of cars. I’d rather rent a Home Depot truck. Cars were old, lacked features (haven’t had a car w/o CarPlay in years) and beat up. 

That's not a Hertz specific thing. If Enterprise had cars available, you'd probably experience the same from them. All rental car firms are in that situation due to them cancelling new car orders in 2020 and the automakers focusing almost entirely on real retail consumers this year.

Once Hertz expands availability of Tesla Model 3, you'll have a much better experience when you rent one of those. Not only is the car itself superb, Hertz is including an educational series on its website explaining the operation of the car, and also includes free charging on Tesla Model 3 rentals until February 1, 2022. Tesla Model 3 FAQ Home - Hertz Travel Blog

Even better, Hertz will endeavor to provide Model 3 rental customers with 80% charge upon pickup, and require customers return the vehicles with 10% charge remaining minimum without any additional fees.

Edited by rperez817

21 minutes ago, sullynd said:

The Teslas will be missing CarPlay too, which is a great feature for rentals. 

Tesla's infotainment system has support for audio streaming, voice control, navigation, phone calls, text messages, etc. without the need for CarPlay or Android Auto. 

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

TeslaPlay or Elon Auto??

Haha, the built-in Tesla infotainment system could be called either of those. ?

Apple and Android phone users who want to mirror their phone screen on a Tesla infotainment display can use the $6 TeslaMirror app. But it's from a third party not affiliated with Tesla and not reliable. 

‎TeslaMirror on the App Store (apple.com)

TeslaMirror - Apps on Google Play

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Tesla's infotainment system has support for audio streaming, voice control, navigation, phone calls, text messages, etc. without the need for CarPlay or Android Auto. 

Do you have to connect your phone to the system via Bluetooth?

With CarPlay you don’t. Plug and go. 

Does Teslas system work exactly like Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze?

If I get a Nissan, Dodge, Ford rental, or any other manufacturer with CarPlay, I do not need to figure out how to use the OEM nav system. It just works, and it works exactly how I am accustomed to, regardless of vehicle manufacturer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

Yes sir, connect the device via Bluetooth. Menu path is Bluetooth icon in top right of screen > turn on Bluetooth on device (if not already active) > Start Search > Select Device Name. You can then set options such as "Priority Device" and "Sync contacts and recent calls".

I think Tesla's nav system originally used Google Maps as a base, but recent versions including what I have in my Model S uses map data from Mapbox.

7 hours ago, sullynd said:

I disagree. I rent cars multiple times a month. I’ve never had an Enterprise vehicle with over 30,000 miles, even recently. 

The Teslas will be missing CarPlay too, which is a great feature for rentals. 

My last Enterprise vehicle was brand new Equinox with less than 100 miles. Hertz sucks....mostly just Enterprise. Very competitive and accomadating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sullynd said:

With CarPlay you don’t. Plug and go. 

If I get a Nissan, Dodge, Ford rental, or any other manufacturer with CarPlay, I do not need to figure out how to use the OEM nav system. It just works, and it works exactly how I am accustomed to, regardless of vehicle manufacturer. 

I'm sure Tesla fans will love renting from Hertz once they get thousands of Teslas, but most just want to rent a vehicle they are used to with no challenging learning curve. Tesla minimalist interior with huge touch screen is intimidating. Almost every control goes thru the screen. Add in charging and most just want to get somewhere with no fuss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I'm sure Tesla fans will love renting from Hertz once they get thousands of Teslas, but most just want to rent a vehicle they are used to with no challenging learning curve. Tesla minimalist interior with huge touch screen is intimidating. Almost every control goes thru the screen. Add in charging and most just want to get somewhere with no fuss.

Exactly.  Hertz making a big deal about “educating” the customer isn’t going to be appealing to those busy travelers already tired and stressed just trying to get somewhere.  I don’t want to watch a training video.  I just want it to work.  At least they got the part about picking it up at 80% charged and returned at 10% right.  It will still come down to cost as to whether corporations will approve them on the expense report.  

• Like 2

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/27/uber-tesla-hertz-rideshare-drivers/

Uber Technologies Inc on Wednesday said it is launching a new partnership with rental car company Hertz to offer 50,000 Tesla Inc vehicles as a rental option to its ride-hail drivers by 2023.

Uber drivers can rent a Tesla through Hertz starting on Nov. 1 in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Washington DC, with the program later this year expanding to cities nationwide, the ride-hail company said in a blog post.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Tesla rentals, consisting mostly of the electric vehicle company's Model 3 sedan, will be available exclusively to Uber drivers and start out at $334 a week, including insurance and maintenance. Uber said the rental cost would drop to $299 per week or lower as the program expands in the coming year.

Uber's announcement comes just days after Hertz on Monday said it would order 100,000 Tesla vehicles by the end of 2022. News of the biggest-ever Tesla order led to a share price rally and saw the company's market value surpass $1 trillion.

Bloomberg reported that Hertz also announced a partnership with Carvana to sell vehicles as the rental company musters them out of its fleet.

Those drivers must be getting/taking a lot of rides if they're able to offset $334 AND make money/make it worth it.

Uber takes a big chunk of the price you pay as a rider, which riders don't realize (I used to drive some) - I remember having people comment to each other in the back "well he's already getting $x, we don't need to tip"......I didn't say anything of course, but I don't think I was even getting half of the amount they were paying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1