Mustang Rumors Mention Hybrid and V8

People were worried about the s650 being tame, or disappointing. But as more rumors and comments on the car come out, the better it seems to be. A hybrid v8, in something that looks like that gorgeous sculpture shown awhile ago. That's based on a presumably improved s550 chassis. I think we're going to be in for a treat once this car arrives.

• Like 1

Last week, I was crossing the Mackinaw Bridge (in Michigan, the bridge links the lower peninsula to the upper peninsula) and right in front of me at the toll booth were several Mustang GT's wearing factory "M" plates.  All dark grey, looking sinister as hell, and all headed someplace into the U.P.  I couldn't help wondering what the engineers were testing, and what was under the hood. 

?  I'm the dude who stumbled upon this, as I am still searching for every and anything on upcoming Fords.

My only issue? Ford gets wiser and wiser about my potential discoveries, cleaning house in these hidden corners of the internet of their inadvertent leaks.

Was hoping to keep this one under the radar LOL.

It has gotten 10x harder for me, because Ford is hiding stuff better now than ever and snuffing out any potential leak.

I am really hoping that this hybrid discovery pans out sooner than later, because Advanced Engineering doesn't always necessarily mean production programs. It's often an experimental division.

I saw December 2022 as a production date, yet still no spy shots.?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Last week, I was crossing the Mackinaw Bridge (in Michigan, the bridge links the lower peninsula to the upper peninsula) and right in front of me at the toll booth were several Mustang GT's wearing factory "M" plates.  All dark grey, looking sinister as hell, and all headed someplace into the U.P.  I couldn't help wondering what the engineers were testing, and what was under the hood. 

Ah, unphotographed mules in Wayne County. So I am not imagining the lack of coverage? The professionals are not doing their jobs anymore and this just sucks.

For all I know, the actual S650s are running around and we won't know, since no one is paying attention, who actually has the time and vantage point to snap them.

23 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Sounds like hybrid will be automatic only so I think Ford will make it standard across the board if you opt for 10AT.

Question is how much longer they will sell the manual without hybrid assist. 

they made a 1 of manual trans electric if I recall correctly...so who knows..it was 1100 horsepower IIRC.

4 hours ago, JX1 said:

?  I'm the dude who stumbled upon this, as I am still searching for every and anything on upcoming Fords.

My only issue? Ford gets wiser and wiser about my potential discoveries, cleaning house in these hidden corners of the internet of their inadvertent leaks.

Was hoping to keep this one under the radar LOL.

It has gotten 10x harder for me, because Ford is hiding stuff better now than ever and snuffing out any potential leak.

I am really hoping that this hybrid discovery pans out sooner than later, because Advanced Engineering doesn't always necessarily mean production programs. It's often an experimental division.

I saw December 2022 as a production date, yet still no spy shots.?

Yeah, if the s650 is still due for a late '22 early '23 release, it is quite odd that we haven't seen mules with s650 bodywork yet. Makes me think that ford has improved massively with hiding their prototypes. Or the project is delayed. Or, hopefully, what ford has planned is so special that they're trying to keep it hidden until the last minute.

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yeah, if the s650 is still due for a late '22 early '23 release, it is quite odd that we haven't seen mules with s650 bodywork yet. Makes me think that ford has improved massively with hiding their prototypes. Or the project is delayed. Or, hopefully, what ford has planned is so special that they're trying to keep it hidden until the last minute.

Not seeing the integrated prototype builds yet, I am confident they are just being hidden. Ford is beginning production at FRAP in December 2022, so that's about January/Feb 2023 launch.

By now would should be seeing VP1s.

The previous JOB 1 date I saw when I leaked the Model Year of release in early 2020, was May 2022. Right before COVID-19 hit. After that, all Ford programs fell behind 60-120 days, but this seems to be a bit worse, being about 180-210 days.

• Like 2

Hey fuzzy......you can't leave us on a cliff edge like that lol !!

So, I assume the start of production won't be any earlier that December 2022..........so early 2023? Spring? Summer? I appreciate you probably can't be specific, but any insight would be appreciated for those of us hunting for any scraps of information :)

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything because I don't, so I'll reiterate what I said a few weeks ago in another thread. 

I have no confirmation on this whatsoever but I do not believe the new Mustang will be built in Flat Rock. I don't know where it would go but I firmly believe that plant is not long for this world. That's what my gut is telling me. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

Thank you, I appreciate the response.

I hope you're wrong, but I guess there's no smoke without fire. Personally, despite Flat Rocks issues, I'd have thought it makes sense to build S650 there, then build it's replacement elsewhere, as that's likely to be a full EV circa 2028-2030.

I just hope wherever its built doesn't impact on it arriving either late 2022 or early 2023 :)

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything because I don't, so I'll reiterate what I said a few weeks ago in another thread. 

I have no confirmation on this whatsoever but I do not believe the new Mustang will be built in Flat Rock. I don't know where it would go but I firmly believe that plant is not long for this world. That's what my gut is telling me. 

How much longer does the current UAW contract run? Isn't Ford committed to Mustang at FRAP for at least that long?

27 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I see these power train combos also going into Super Duty for the V8 and Bronco (and possibly Ranger) for 2.3 EB to help amortize the costs associated with development and EPA certification processes...

I think its a given that the Ranger will get a hybrid I4 at launch. With the Bronco Raptor and Ranger Raptor coming up, I think Ford might just go with the 3.0L Ecoboost without a hybrid, since it seems like the Bronco is hitting its GRVW pretty easily at this point. 

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I see these power train combos also going into Super Duty for the V8 and Bronco (and possibly Ranger) for 2.3 EB to help amortize the costs associated with development and EPA certification processes...

I don't see ford putting either of those hybrid systems in a super duty. If they were going to go that route, I think we'd see like a 6.7 or 7.3 hybrid.

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

...and then this article pops up in my feed.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/new-2022-ford-ranger-plug-hybrid-pick-tested-road?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=News

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I think its a given that the Ranger will get a hybrid I4 at launch. With the Bronco Raptor and Ranger Raptor coming up, I think Ford might just go with the 3.0L Ecoboost without a hybrid, since it seems like the Bronco is hitting its GRVW pretty easily at this point. 

What is this hybrid I4 you speak of? Without a doubt, it's not getting any current 4 cylinder hybrid that Ford has now. I was thinking the current 4 cylinder and a powerboost 2.7 hybrid. What makes you think they will go with a 4 cylinder hybrid?

49 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

What is this hybrid I4 you speak of? Without a doubt, it's not getting any current 4 cylinder hybrid that Ford has now. I was thinking the current 4 cylinder and a powerboost 2.7 hybrid. What makes you think they will go with a 4 cylinder hybrid?

The rumor is the 2.3L with the Powerboost/Hybrid transmission. 

Not to mention it would help with overseas sales?

On 10/26/2021 at 6:15 AM, DeluxeStang said:

I don't see ford putting either of those hybrid systems in a super duty. If they were going to go that route, I think we'd see like a 6.7 or 7.3 hybrid.

Especially among the Tremor crowd, you’d see A LOT of interest in a Godzilla Hybrid and I am definitely one of them. That engine power with the electric availability to power a remote camp (trailer) via the ProPower would be a HUGE win in the overlanding arena. That’s not even bringing into play construction folk.