2022 Range Rover Debuts

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/26/2022-range-rover-revealed/

2022 Land Rover Range Rover

The 2022 Range Rover is here and packing more flexibility and technology than the fourth-generation model it replaces. A new third row makes the Range Rover a more-appealing family hauler and a more competitive vehicle in its price bracket, while new tech is guaranteed to bring in those who can't get enough of four-wheeled gadgetry. 

With two passenger configurations comes two wheelbases. The new three-row model is approximately 8 inches longer than the standard Range Rover and offers a foot of additional wheelbase, freeing up leg room for second- and third-row passengers. Yes, the long-wheelbase model can be had in a five-passenger configuration, which will be the sweet spot for both comfort and cargo-hauling, if that's what you're looking to maximize. 

At launch, the fifth-generation Rover will be offered with two turbocharged engines. The standard choice on P400 models is a 3.0-liter inline-six making 395 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque and backed up with a 48-volt mild hybrid system. Stepping up to the P530 gets you a 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8 sourced from Land Rover's new (again) German partner, BMW. The V8 makes 523 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque and is the lineup's range-topping engine. Land Rover says the new 4.4 will propel the P530 models to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds — easy to remember for barstool braggadocio

Those are fine for now, but what of the future? Fear not, Land Rover says, as these two gas-burners will be joined by a plug-in hybrid for 2023 and a full electric model for 2024. The plug-in hybrid will combine Jaguar-Land Rover's Ingenium inline-six engine with a 38.2 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack and a 105-kilowatt (~140 hp) electric motor for a combined output of 434 horsepower. Land Rover says it will be capable of speeds up to 87 mph on electric power alone and offer 62 miles of pure-electric driving, though you won't get the latter if you attempt to do the former with any frequency. 

It's almost too clean......

I also don't understand why they made the front so similar looking to the outgoing model, and then the rear is very futuristic with the very slim, hidden taillights.  I feel like the front should have also had very slim, more integrated/hidden headlights to match the vibe of the rear.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JTL2017 said:

I do wonder what the Continental suv was going to be like before it got canceled. I have it feeling it was going to compete with the electric version of this Range Rover. Shame that we will never see it. 

Only the Rivian platform was cancelled.  We may see it on a Ford platform.

1 hour ago, JTL2017 said:

I hope so. I would like to see a Lincoln flagship.

Me too. When Lincoln announced the cancellation of a Rivian based all electric SUV in April 2020, they also mentioned that an "alternative vehicle" for Lincoln based on Rivian technology was still planned. This is likely to be the forthcoming Lincoln flagship. Ford and Lincoln cancel Rivian-powered electric vehicle due to the pandemic - The Verge

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

I agree, but because Ford and Lincoln are going to be "all SUVs all the time", then Continental must go on a range topping product, or not be used.

I'd rather them not use it if the alternative is slapping the name on a LWB Aviator.

Everybody has a lux wagon now; Rolls Royce Cullinan, on down. Land Rover is a purveyor of luxury SUVS, quite distant from the original Defender Series I. The Continental marque would indeed be an appropriate name for a BEV/PHEV SUV. D'ruther that than Lincoln Versailles II or something.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Which vehicle has more power, options, technology and more sales?

Which one costs more? ?

Lincoln even calls the Navigator their flagship. 

https://media.lincoln.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2021/08/18/new-lincoln-navigator-commands-the-road.html

Navigator, the most awarded SUV in the segment, is responsible for about 33 percent of the brand’s conquest clients. Debuting with new exterior design elements, advanced technology and purposeful features and experiences, the Lincoln flagship will continue to build on its success to meet and exceed the discerning needs of luxury clients.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 10:13 PM, Atlbraves21 said:

Man…I love Range Rover…but that def isn’t for me. Maybe seeing it in person would help but idk 

It really doesn't help seeing it in person. Every time I see it I feel like I'm in a Sci-Fi movie and should be telling the person who steps out of one...'live long and prosper.'