Next Fusion spied

13 hours ago, twintornados said:

Well, Flat Rock seems to be a facility looking for more sedan based product...

My thinking is, like silvrsvt said, it will go to LAP(read his post for more details). FRAP would keep the Mustang and gain the (rumored) Mustang sedan.

Edited by AGR

18 hours ago, AGR said:

My thinking is, like silvrsvt said, it will go to LAP(read his post for more details). FRAP would keep the Mustang and gain the (rumored) Mustang sedan.

I was thinking the Mustang would move there also. 

Another off the wall thought is possibly OHAP?

They have a separate line (I think) that built minivans at one point 

FRAP is not going anywhere.  The UAW is passed off that the new battery plants in KY and TN are not guaranteed to be UAW represented.  I do not see the traditional Mustang ever leaving SE Michigan. The Mustang is to Ford as the Corvette is to GM.  The next generation is scheduled to be built at least through MY 2029 at FRAP.

I did hear that FRAP is planning a second shift in a year or two and that stamping operations will be moved to Woodhaven which would allow the plant to be expanded.

In the last UAW contract Ford agreed to find additional product for FRAP. 

• Like 1

There was a time when no one believed Ford will kill Ranger (Twin Cities), Taurus (Atlanta), or Crown Vic/Towncar (St Thomas).

When the plant is tied to an orphaned product seeing only limited updates, the outcome is not good.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bzcat said:

There was a time when no one believed Ford will kill Ranger (Twin Cities), Taurus (Atlanta), or Crown Vic/Towncar (St Thomas).

When the plant is tied to an orphaned product seeing only limited updates, the outcome is not good.

Mustang isn’t going away.  But that doesn’t mean they have to keep FRAP open.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Unfortunately you could make that case for several Ford plants.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Mustang isn’t going away.  But that doesn’t mean they have to keep FRAP open.

Where would you build it?  Mustang leaving SE Michigan would be akin to Corvette leaving Bowling Green.  MAP is at capacity, and there is no way it could be built at Dearborn.  

All I know is what I hear and that FRAP is hiring a number of salaried people to gear up for a second shift for additional product.

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

Where would you build it?  Mustang leaving SE Michigan would be akin to Corvette leaving Bowling Green.  MAP is at capacity, and there is no way it could be built at Dearborn.  

Chicago if enough Explorer/Aviator sales go to BEVs.  I doubt nostalgia would keep FRAP open just to build one low volume vehicle.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Chicago if enough Explorer/Aviator sales go to BEVs.  I doubt nostalgia would keep FRAP open just to build one low volume vehicle.

Chicago....I don't think so. FLAP still seems like favorite for any future sport sedans including Fusion Active unless the UAW plays hardball.

14 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Chicago....I don't think so. FLAP still seems like favorite for any future sport sedans including Fusion Active unless the UAW plays hardball.

New Mustang shares a lot with CD6 including at least one engine and tranny, and Explorer/Aviator sales should drop as their BEV counterparts roll out.  It’s the obvious choice.

The fact that FRAP can’t make utilities is a killer and it’s been on the chopping block for some time now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I think the UAW would play hardball if they tried closing FRAP considering how many new builds have been sent to Mexico (Bronco Sport, Mach E, Maverick, and the two EVs that were supposed to go to OHAP). 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Too many bild combinations considering the number of versions of Mustangs and Explorers. 

Edited by Footballfan

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

I think the UAW would play hardball if they tried closing FRAP considering how many new builds have been sent to Mexico (Bronco Sport, Mach E, Maverick, and the two EVs that were supposed to go to OHAP). 

The next FordUAW talks should be very interesting and contentious. IMO, FLAP and TN investment will be big sticking points. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

New Mustang shares a lot with CD6 including at least one engine and tranny, and Explorer/Aviator sales should drop as their BEV counterparts roll out.  It’s the obvious choice.

The fact that FRAP can’t make utilities is a killer and it’s been on the chopping block for some time now.

Wait….FRAP can’t build utilities????????

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Wait….FRAP can’t build utilities????????

Nope.  Certain parts of the assembly line (building?) are too low for any type of utility vehicle.  And it would essentially require a tear down and rebuild to fix it, which is why I don’t think it will last.

13 hours ago, Footballfan said:

Your right there, it seems the UAW rolled on the last contract. 

They "didn't roll", this is a common mistake. Any contract would need to be ratified by the membership, if the members voted it down, the UAW would have to go back to the table. Unions are member driven organizations and they are driven by the members that vote.

14 hours ago, Footballfan said:

Bottom line, if FRAP were to have closed, it would have before the new Mustang were to be built. 

Not necessarily.  It’s a timing issue as to when it can be moved.  It is possible they keep it open but only if they add some other cars.

• Like 1