Heavy Duty Tow Pkg = Stiffer Ride?

Xraymd

I’ve currently spec'd my 2022 Navigator Reserve 4x4 with the HD Tow pkg. I don’t have a trailer right now, but I’m getting close to retirement age and who knows what hobbies lay ahead. 

I’ve read over on the expedition forum some complain of a stiffer ride on the Black Labels which include HDTow as standard.  Has anyone driven both to compare?  I test drove a Reserve without the package. No Navigators near me with the package to compare. The nearest Black Label dealer is an hour away but they do have some on the lot. 

I have a 2018 with the tow package. The tow package in my year and through 21 did not include any suspension changes. I would have preferred a bit firmer ride than what I have, but I'm a sports car guy so I'm inherently a bit off.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:54 AM, Emilner said:

My truck is a 2019 BL L and it's smoother than all of my Escalades.  You do get a little jiggy with the 22" rims over rough pavement but nothing to disrupt from it being a great riding truck...

Do you have or have driven Any of the new escalades?

I went and drove a Black Label today and I thought the ride was fine. Of course I’m coming from a 3 series with M-sport package so my butt sensor may be set differently. I drove a new Escalade that had the air suspension but not the magnetic ride. I preferred the Lincoln.  And no Super Cruise availability  until 2nd quarter 2022. 

Wow, I thought the air suspension was an add on to the Mrc, i.e. they come standard with mrc but the air suspension is opt.  That's how it is on the build and price.   I prefer the lincoln to the gms without air, haven't been able to get in one with it though.

My dad wants an Escalade.  Not gonna convince him to go elsewhere, he won't listen.  Makes sense, most people are like that.  Everyone says how nice they are and they are hot, but since the new escalades been out, it hasn't won not 1 comparison test.  Hell, motortrend jus put it up against the grand wagoneer, and it lost again.  If it didn't have the screen and 36 spkr audio, would it even be competitive?

9 minutes ago, Dlcorbett said:

Wow, I thought the air suspension was an add on to the Mrc, i.e. they come standard with mrc but the air suspension is opt.  That's how it is on the build and price.   I prefer the lincoln to the gms without air, haven't been able to get in one with it though.

My dad wants an Escalade.  Not gonna convince him to go elsewhere, he won't listen.  Makes sense, most people are like that.  Everyone says how nice they are and they are hot, but since the new escalades been out, it hasn't won not 1 comparison test.  Hell, motortrend jus put it up against the grand wagoneer, and it lost again.  If it didn't have the screen and 36 spkr audio, would it even be competitive?

It's crap frankly.  I'm a lifer GM guy, 7 Vettes, 5 Escalades in addition to Denalis and numerous other GM vehicles.  It hurt to trade my E on my Nav but this truck is better in every way.  When I read the GM forums they are almost universally hating on the truck.  Massive issues from blown engines all over the place to that dash dying repeatedly to you name it.  I feel like Cadillac as been a ship at sail without a competent captain for some time now.  They get something right and then bomb out somewhere else.

Going off of fords history with expy/navi refreshing/model updates, ford usually tunes the suspension to dial out any problems the vehicle had during initial launch.  For 2nd gen trucks, though they didn't have a refresh, ford did soften the ride for both expy and nav starting in 05, after many journalists critiqued the ride as too harsh for 03.  For 3rd gen, its a bit more messy, but for the most part my15+ was a smoother experience depending on opt and suspension choice.  I would expect the same to happen for this refresh.  Most issues are in regards to the jitteriness of the vehicle compared to new vehicles and its inability to tame small bumps with the 22s.  Hopefully, ford fine tuned the ccd to allow more flexibility without adding buoyancy.  Also, they need address the nvh of the truck as well.

I am a bit nervous.  the aviator has this with and and without the air springs, and many consumers say the ride isn't very pleasant without the air springs.  Lincoln did benchmark bmw x7, the best ride in the class as well as new escalade, so they had to end on something they liked.