New V8 for 2023 Corvette

30 OTT 6

39 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Should match the GTs performance for way less $$$...

The GT wasn’t built for max street performance.  It was built strictly within IMSA rules for LeMans.  Even the Corvette C7-R was detuned from the street version.

It would be great to see Ford do a Corvette competitor but they probably make a lot more money off Mustang GT500s.

4 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Should match the GTs performance for way less $$$...

For sure GearheadGrrrl. The issue for prospective customers is that demand for C8 Corvette far exceeds supply. Chevy dealers have been accepting deposits for Z06 since 2019, when the base Stingray came out. On Autoline Daily today, a viewer said that someone who places a deposit for a new C8 Z06 now will never get an allocation at a dealership, making it "unobtainium".

Edited by rperez817

On 10/29/2021 at 1:59 PM, akirby said:

The GT wasn’t built for max street performance.  It was built strictly within IMSA rules for LeMans.  Even the Corvette C7-R was detuned from the street version.

It would be great to see Ford do a Corvette competitor but they probably make a lot more money off Mustang GT500s.

I feel like Ford will make a c8 rival. With them benchmarking a c8, multiple performance sedans, and as of yesterday, the current supra, I think it's likely that ford is planning some really cool stuff in the near future.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:56 PM, DeluxeStang said:

I feel like Ford will make a c8 rival. With them benchmarking a c8, multiple performance sedans, and as of yesterday, the current supra, I think it's likely that ford is planning some really cool stuff in the near future.

With Jim Farley being a talented racing car driver and passionate about racing cars, wouldn't be surprised if he pushes for a new Ford GT, especially with GM unable to meet demand for its Corvette.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

With Jim Farley being a talented racing car driver and passionate about racing cars, wouldn't be surprised if he pushes for a new Ford GT, especially with GM unable to meet demand for its Corvette.

I doubt Ford will chase that. Electric is the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

It would be cool if Ford made a next gen gt that was electric to serve as a halo product for ford's evs. Then they made a mid-engine mustang to compete with the c8 and appeal to ICE fans.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

An electric gt would be awesome. As someone else stated, who says Ford gt's can't be evs?

I would bet more on a hybrid than a full electric. I would think that by 2025 Ford's full lineup will be at least hybrid with 4-6 full electrics. Looks like it will be many more years before the racing world shifts to full electrics other than Formula E. Hybrids yes as LMP cars have gone to hybrid, but full electric no. Major reason IMO is sound which is such a part of racing. 

Problem is that the Corvette is allot cheaper than the Ford GT but probably now has better performance. Chevy one up Ford with a Flat plane crank V8 motor without turbo's or supercharger's, that make's 140 more horsepower than Ford's flat plane crank motor.  The new Corvette's Z06 V8 flat plane crank DOHC motor makes 670 horsepower. Chevy hit it out of the park with this new Z06 and Ford has no answer. The Ford GT does not count because most of Ford's regular customers can not even think about owning one.  Chevy did it wright on their supercar most anyone can get one, unlike Ford's supercar you cannot get one unless your some elite social personality.  I love Ford but lately they are way to greedy. They keep taking away content on their vehicles and using cheap plastics everywhere in their vehicles interiors. Had a 2019 Ranger and traded for a 2021 Ranger and ford took away content on the same trim level. My 2019 had rear door sensors so when I touched the rear doors they unlocked when I had the keys. In my  2021 Ford Ranger they took the rear door sensors off, so ever time I reach for the rear doors they do not unlock like the 2019 did. Really dishearten that Ford keeps cheapening out and the Ranger is not the only thing they did it to. The Lincoln Aviator reserve model lost the soft close doors and now it is only available on the black label model. I have only bought Ford's all my life like my Farther did and been happy with them until know. They need to quit with just meeting customer min expectations and instead need to start exceeding their customer expectations. When I see them charging more and taking away useful features instead of adding from year to year that is just greed on their part. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shelby32 said:

Problem is that the Corvette is allot cheaper than the Ford GT but probably now has better performance. Chevy one up Ford with a Flat plane crank V8 motor without turbo's or supercharger's, that make's 140 more horsepower than Ford's flat plane crank motor.

5.2L Voodoo is naturally aspirated too, but 140 extra HP is always nice.

22 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I would bet more on a hybrid than a full electric. I would think that by 2025 Ford's full lineup will be at least hybrid with 4-6 full electrics. Looks like it will be many more years before the racing world shifts to full electrics other than Formula E. Hybrids yes as LMP cars have gone to hybrid, but full electric no. Major reason IMO is sound which is such a part of racing. 

F-e could specify all terrain tires and paver brick tracks: tire noise replaces engine noise.

4 hours ago, Shelby32 said:

Problem is that the Corvette is allot cheaper than the Ford GT but probably now has better performance. Chevy one up Ford with a Flat plane crank V8 motor without turbo's or supercharger's, that make's 140 more horsepower than Ford's flat plane crank motor.  The new Corvette's Z06 V8 flat plane crank DOHC motor makes 670 horsepower. Chevy hit it out of the park with this new Z06 and Ford has no answer. The Ford GT does not count because most of Ford's regular customers can not even think about owning one.  Chevy did it wright on their supercar most anyone can get one, unlike Ford's supercar you cannot get one unless your some elite social personality.  I love Ford but lately they are way to greedy. They keep taking away content on their vehicles and using cheap plastics everywhere in their vehicles interiors. Had a 2019 Ranger and traded for a 2021 Ranger and ford took away content on the same trim level. My 2019 had rear door sensors so when I touched the rear doors they unlocked when I had the keys. In my  2021 Ford Ranger they took the rear door sensors off, so ever time I reach for the rear doors they do not unlock like the 2019 did. Really dishearten that Ford keeps cheapening out and the Ranger is not the only thing they did it to. The Lincoln Aviator reserve model lost the soft close doors and now it is only available on the black label model. I have only bought Ford's all my life like my Farther did and been happy with them until know. They need to quit with just meeting customer min expectations and instead need to start exceeding their customer expectations. When I see them charging more and taking away useful features instead of adding from year to year that is just greed on their part. 

Ford GT is all carbon fiber and more down force and much better looking. Back in 2016 when it won LeMans handily, it had over 600 hp. However, BOP rules cut it back to 450 hp because other race cars in its class including Corvette couldn't keep up. Corvette may be touch quicker in straight line acceleration, but GT was designed for LeMans as a track weapon. When it had its full power, it was unbeatable in its class.

• Like 1

Used Ford GTs with little miles and sticker of $500,000 go for $1million regularly. Nice profit for those lucky enough to get one. Used C8 with low miles goes for $100,000 that cost $75,000 + sticker. Huge difference in many ways including Ford GT is hand built. Ford GT is tour de force and Corvette looks like commendable assembly line sports car that it is.

Ford wins at LeMans and from a business standpoint which is why the GT was created.

GM wins on affordable performance.

Different cars with different purpose.

GM put its street performance investment in Corvette (not Camaro).   Ford did the same with Shelby Mustangs.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

The Ford GT is now a couple years old and the competitors have caught up, and the new Corvette Z07 will probably eclipse the Ford GT's performance at a fraction of the cost. Ford's only chances to stay competitive are to "productionize" the GT and match the Z07 on price or develop a probably hybrid new GT that will justify it's price multiple over the Corvette. The odds of either happening are slim to none... Ford is now a "truck" company.

13 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

The Ford GT is now a couple years old and the competitors have caught up, and the new Corvette Z07 will probably eclipse the Ford GT's performance at a fraction of the cost. Ford's only chances to stay competitive are to "productionize" the GT and match the Z07 on price or develop a probably hybrid new GT that will justify it's price multiple over the Corvette. The odds of either happening are slim to none... Ford is now a "truck" company.

There was a ford gt mule a few months ago testing a new powertrain. Time will tell what that ends up being, if it amounts to anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Competitive?  Which car won LeMans?  Which one sells for $500K+?   The GT was literally built around the 3.5 Ecoboost for LeMans.  Bigger engines with more power aren’t allowed.  Even Corvette had to detune their V8.   The name of the game is wins and profits not who has the most hp.

• Like 2

I could care less if it won Lemans and do you even have a chance of getting a Ford GT nope. As a Ford customer the GT does really nothing for its regular customer because even if you could afford it Ford can say no. The Ford Gt is for people who drive Ferrari's and not the regular Ford customer because they put it out of reach.   Do I love the GT yes and I agree it looks better than the Vette. But I have a 100 times better chance of owning the Z06 Vette then the Ford Gt and have a better sounding motor in the Vette. The Ford GT should have been available to Ford customers first not youtubers. By the way the Vette has won Lemans in its class too. Its only the old GT 1960's models that have won the top class at Lemans. All I'm saying is GM is offering a car that will probably out handle and out run the Ford GT that a normal person can get. I just wish Ford would do the same instead of just offer the GT to the 1 percent crowd. 

Edited by Shelby32
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:26 PM, rperez817 said:

For sure GearheadGrrrl. The issue for prospective customers is that demand for C8 Corvette far exceeds supply. Chevy dealers have been accepting deposits for Z06 since 2019, when the base Stingray came out. On Autoline Daily today, a viewer said that someone who places a deposit for a new C8 Z06 now will never get an allocation at a dealership, making it "unobtainium".

On 10/31/2021 at 3:54 PM, FordBuyer said:

All I'm saying is GM is offering a car that will probably out handle and out run the Ford GT that a normal person can get. I just wish Ford would do the same instead of just offer the GT to the 1 percent crowd. 

Doesn't sound like it.

Ford has limited resources, and is looking to make a profit and stay in business.  Maybe they will produce something to rival the Vette, maybe they won't.  Don't get your panties all in a bind if they don't

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shelby32 said:

I could care less if it won Lemans and do you even have a chance of getting a Ford GT nope. As a Ford customer the GT does really nothing for its regular customer because even if you could afford it Ford can say no. The Ford Gt is for people who drive Ferrari's and not the regular Ford customer because they put it out of reach.   Do I love the GT yes and I agree it looks better than the Vette. But I have a 100 times better chance of owning the Z06 Vette then the Ford Gt and have a better sounding motor in the Vette. The Ford GT should have been available to Ford customers first not youtubers. By the way the Vette has won Lemans in its class too. Its only the old GT 1960's models that have won the top class at Lemans. All I'm saying is GM is offering a car that will probably out handle and out run the Ford GT that a normal person can get. I just wish Ford would do the same instead of just offer the GT to the 1 percent crowd. 

It doesn’t matter to you but it matters a hell of a lot to Ford.  If not for LeMans there would be no GT at all.  It was built for the sole purpose of winning LeMans.  Then they decided they could sell them for $500k to recoup the development cost.  All made possible by LeMans.  It was never intended to compete with Corvette.

Instead of building a corvette competitor Ford developed the Mustang GT350 and GT500 for pennies on the dollar compared to a true Corvette competitor.  It’s a good business decision.  Most Corvette buyers are GM loyalists and many Ford buyers are just as happy or happier with a Shelby Mustang.  Not enough new buyers to make it worth the investment although from a consumer standpoint it would be really cool.

Bench racing, magazine comparisons and bragging rights don’t pay the bills.