New V8 for 2023 Corvette

30 OTT 6

10 hours ago, Shelby32 said:

I could care less if it won Lemans and do you even have a chance of getting a Ford GT nope. As a Ford customer the GT does really nothing for its regular customer because even if you could afford it Ford can say no. The Ford Gt is for people who drive Ferrari's and not the regular Ford customer because they put it out of reach.   Do I love the GT yes and I agree it looks better than the Vette. But I have a 100 times better chance of owning the Z06 Vette then the Ford Gt and have a better sounding motor in the Vette. The Ford GT should have been available to Ford customers first not youtubers. By the way the Vette has won Lemans in its class too. Its only the old GT 1960's models that have won the top class at Lemans. All I'm saying is GM is offering a car that will probably out handle and out run the Ford GT that a normal person can get. I just wish Ford would do the same instead of just offer the GT to the 1 percent crowd. 

How many "normal" people can afford a $175,000+ C8 Z06 Corvette, and how available is it? And again, the Ford GT is an all out track weapon stock, and LeMans Corvette race cars are far from stock. Now I give huge props to GM for the C8, but something is not quite right with the overall design. Still think the C5 is the best looking Corvette. C7 has some design issues also. 

The Ford GT is in anothe league with Supercars like the Ferrari and McLaren, but much cheaper in initial price, and of great value used. 

13 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

How many "normal" people can afford a $175,000+ C8 Z06 Corvette, and how available is it? And again, the Ford GT is an all out track weapon stock, and LeMans Corvette race cars are far from stock. Now I give huge props to GM for the C8, but something is not quite right with the overall design. Still think the C5 is the best looking Corvette. C7 has some design issues also. 

The Ford GT is in anothe league with Supercars like the Ferrari and McLaren, but much cheaper in initial price, and of great value used. 

The C8 starts at ~ $90K

15 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Which is still out of the price range of most 'normal' folks, especially for what would likely be a 3rd vehicle.

So are $50K plus trucks but people are buying them. I would rather spend $90K for a car that can beat a $500K car any day of the week

Edited by coupe3w

22 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

The C8 starts at ~ $90K

The C8 actually starts at $60,000, but realistically very hard to find one under $100,000, even a used one. And the upcoming Z06 with over 600hp will be much more than that. Dealers are adding big markups on top of that. Anyway, comparing the Corvette to even the early 2000 Ford GT let alone the 2021 Ford GT is a poor comparison. Even a 2004 Ford GT will fetch up to $300,000 and go over 200mph stock. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

So are $50K plus trucks but people are buying them. I would rather spend $90K for a car that can beat a $500K car any day of the week

Now where do you come up with that. You have been watching  Street Outlaws too much. The Ford GT is not a drag machine although it will go from 0-100 in under 7 seconds which is fast enough. Again, the Ford GT was built to win LeMans which it did 1st year before BOP detuned it by 200hp. Even at 450hp, it beat the Corvettes in many long distance races here and in Europe. 

45 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Now where do you come up with that. You have been watching  Street Outlaws too much. The Ford GT is not a drag machine although it will go from 0-100 in under 7 seconds which is fast enough. Again, the Ford GT was built to win LeMans which it did 1st year before BOP detuned it by 200hp. Even at 450hp, it beat the Corvettes in many long distance races here and in Europe. 

Put them both at the Ring with no restrictions on HP and see. I wasn't talking about straight line. But since you brought it up the Vett would would blow the doors off that GT.

Edited by coupe3w

New Corvette is still a good 200 lbs heavier.  But, we'll wait to see the specs come out to be.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/gt

GT Specs:

Power: 647 hp @ 6250 rpm
Torque: 550 lb-ft @ 5900 rpm

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 6.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 10.1 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 14.5 sec
Zero to 170 mph: 21.4 sec

Edited by 92merc

13 minutes ago, 92merc said:

New Corvette is still a good 200 lbs heavier.  But, we'll wait to see the specs come out to be.

GT Specs:

C/D TEST RESULTS:

I would say in a drag race the C8 will be ahead at the 1/8th of a mile and then the Ford GT will pass it and pull away with its superior aero all the way past 200mph. Now with the Z06 I would still bet on the Ford GT past 100 mph with its superior aero. Not even the Ferrari was a match for the Ford when it had 650hp and Ford was still handful with BOP 450hp and still won its share of races. It was always very fast on track even with 450hp. Now the newest McLaren is probably top dog. OP

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

GT Specs:

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Never saw the 0-130 figure before for the GT. Good to see my Mustang is quicker to 130. Ford needs to go back to the drawing board though, as Chevy's C8 Z06 will be stealing some reputatation at a fraction of the price. It would be nice if Ford had something to play with the Vette using mid engine and V8. The Ford GT is amazing, just too unobtainable.

Edited by LSchicago

Pardon me while I get emotional here, but I grew up in the age of "Total Performance" a half century ago. Back when Ford raced everything they made everywhere, and won everywhere. I religiously followed Ford racing around the world, from LeMans to the Monte Carlo win that was denied Ford by the "Index of Performance". Those were heady days when Ford established it's leadership and buried the image of Henry's stodgy old car company. 

So having seen Ford at their best, the Ford of today leaves me seriously disappointed- A "truck" company with no cabovers or tandems whose biggest offering is a pickup on steroids. Legends like the Focus RS are dead and buried, along with the Taurus including the SHO. In half of Ford's market you can't even get a V6 AWD Fusion. The Mustang is hanging on by a thread while the legendary GT is being end of lifed, and if Ford survives to return to LeMans after a century I won't be here to see it.

And what has Ford given us the replace it? The world's best pickups, but they're still pickups and I'm not about to spend the price of a decent performance car to herd an F series or Ranger through the corners. The "need them for work" excuse doesn't work- The long cabs, short boxes, low payloads, and high center of gravity pretty much explain the market they cater too.  And the Bronco- Nice job matching the devolution of the Jeep, but I have yet to see why anyone is waiting months for one when a sawzalled Ranger crew cab will give the same effect. Then there's Ford's unit body SUVs that had the potential for greatness and failed- Lower the AWD Escape or Edge V6, tweak the engine, and Ford could be stealing sales from Suburu and the hot hatches... But ain't gonna happen. Same with the AWD Mach-E, and if Suburu can built a profitable company on an AWD crossover/sedan platform, why can't Ford?

So the only vehicle that's kept me in the Ford family is the Transit Connect, a truly brilliant small van that puts the competition to shame. I've got one on order, will probably never be built, and I suspect they're going to screw up the replacement. When that happens, I'm outa here...

5 hours ago, coupe3w said:

I would rather spend $90K for a car that can beat a $500K car any day of the week

Beat how and where?  On a racetrack?  Between stoplights?    On Internet forums?  You don’t buy a Ferrari or Lambo or McLaren or GT because they’re the fastest on paper.

5 hours ago, coupe3w said:

Put them both at the Ring with no restrictions on HP and see. I wasn't talking about straight line. But since you brought it up the Vett would would blow the doors off that GT.

Yet people are still paying $500k for them.  And paying $200k-$400k for other exotics,

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Pardon me while I get emotional here, but I grew up in the age of "Total Performance" a half century ago. Back when Ford raced everything they made everywhere, and won everywhere. I religiously followed Ford racing around the world, from LeMans to the Monte Carlo win that was denied Ford by the "Index of Performance". Those were heady days when Ford established it's leadership and buried the image of Henry's stodgy old car company. 

So having seen Ford at their best, the Ford of today leaves me seriously disappointed- A "truck" company with no cabovers or tandems whose biggest offering is a pickup on steroids. Legends like the Focus RS are dead and buried, along with the Taurus including the SHO. In half of Ford's market you can't even get a V6 AWD Fusion. The Mustang is hanging on by a thread while the legendary GT is being end of lifed, and if Ford survives to return to LeMans after a century I won't be here to see it.

And what has Ford given us the replace it? The world's best pickups, but they're still pickups and I'm not about to spend the price of a decent performance car to herd an F series or Ranger through the corners. The "need them for work" excuse doesn't work- The long cabs, short boxes, low payloads, and high center of gravity pretty much explain the market they cater too.  And the Bronco- Nice job matching the devolution of the Jeep, but I have yet to see why anyone is waiting months for one when a sawzalled Ranger crew cab will give the same effect. Then there's Ford's unit body SUVs that had the potential for greatness and failed- Lower the AWD Escape or Edge V6, tweak the engine, and Ford could be stealing sales from Suburu and the hot hatches... But ain't gonna happen. Same with the AWD Mach-E, and if Suburu can built a profitable company on an AWD crossover/sedan platform, why can't Ford?

So the only vehicle that's kept me in the Ford family is the Transit Connect, a truly brilliant small van that puts the competition to shame. I've got one on order, will probably never be built, and I suspect they're going to screw up the replacement. When that happens, I'm outa here...

There is nothing wrong with liking those vehicles or being disappointed that Ford doesn’t make what you like.  But you have to understand that the market today is drastically different than 20 or 30 years ago.  Crossovers didn’t really exist, trucks weren’t great family vehicles, Kia and Hyundai weren’t relevant.  

Dissing the Bronco just shows how out of touch you are with the current market and how profit is made.

The Jeep Cherokee, Explorer, etc. were around and selling in volume 20-30 years ago, As were Suburu's and a bunch of other crossovers. Trucks are still too tall and tippy, cost too much to run and now buy too, and for the price they don't even give you a trunk lid. 20 years ago Kia/Hyundai already had pretty good market share and have only gone up since. And somebody needs to expose both the Bronco and Wrangler- Grossly obese useless "Utes" that aren't even rated for snow plowing- A job the old traditional Jeep and Bronco excelled at!

I agree with GearheadGrrrl, Ford is the only full line auto company that does not make a Sedan for its customers. All Ford is interested in is max profit per vehicle instead of offering what their customers still want cars. Every manufacture makes a sedan for their customers except Ford. If the others can make a sedan for their customer why can't Ford. Tesla, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Genesis and the biggest car company in the world VW still make sedans. I like the feel of a sedan, the fuel economy and my next vehicle will be a sedan. This will be the first time for me to not buy a Ford, because Ford does not want to meet my needs. I would like to buy American and that leaves Cadillac, my farther will be turning over in his grave when that happens. I will still keep buying Ford trucks because I love them. But things can change I guess Ford could bring over that new Lincoln Zephyr from china and I would go for that. The tech in the Chinese Ford EVO's and the Lincoln Zephyr is off the charts why they do not have those products here is crazy. I guess North American Ford will just keep trucking from here on out. Suv's and Trucks have their place and so do sedans, Ford!

Back to the Corvette if it its under 100,000 it will be the buy of the century as far as sports cars go. I'm a Ford guy but Ford is making it hard on me to be one going forward. 

Edited by Shelby32

7 hours ago, Shelby32 said:

I agree with GearheadGrrrl, Ford is the only full line auto company that does not make a Sedan for its customers. All Ford is interested in is max profit per vehicle instead of offering what their customers still want cars. Every manufacture makes a sedan for their customers except Ford. If the others can make a sedan for their customer why can't Ford. Tesla, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Genesis and the biggest car company in the world VW still make sedans. I like the feel of a sedan, the fuel economy and my next vehicle will be a sedan. This will be the first time for me to not buy a Ford, because Ford does not want to meet my needs. I would like to buy American and that leaves Cadillac, my farther will be turning over in his grave when that happens. I will still keep buying Ford trucks because I love them. But things can change I guess Ford could bring over that new Lincoln Zephyr from china and I would go for that. The tech in the Chinese Ford EVO's and the Lincoln Zephyr is off the charts why they do not have those products here is crazy. I guess North American Ford will just keep trucking from here on out. Suv's and Trucks have their place and so do sedans, Ford!

Back to the Corvette if it its under 100,000 it will be the buy of the century as far as sports cars go. I'm a Ford guy but Ford is making it hard on me to be one going forward. 

It’s understandable that you’re personally disappointed.  But you can’t say it’s a bad business decision and your comparison to other companies is hugely flawed.

Ford didn’t just cut sedans.  They replaced them with new products.  How many other companies have these vehicles:

Mach-E (Tesla)

Bronco/Bronco Sport (Jeep)

Maverick (Hyundai)

Ranger (GM/Toyota)

F150 and Transit BEV (Rivian)

Mustang GT500 (dodge)

Multiple new BEV utilities

While they’re losing some sedan customers they’re gaining new ones on the above products and those products generate significantly more profit than sedans mainly because they aren’t commodity products in price wars with 8 other competitors.

You don’t have to like it but you should respect the business decision.

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

While they’re losing some sedan customers they’re gaining new ones on the above products and those products generate significantly more profit than sedans mainly because they aren’t commodity products in price wars with 8 other competitors.

You don’t have to like it but you should respect the business decision.

On a related note, Autoline Daily reported yesterday that sedan sales in the U.S. fell to less than 20%, which may be the lowest on record.  Go to the 0:55 mark for more info.

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=78216

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

On a related note, Autoline Daily reported yesterday that sedan sales in the U.S. fell to less than 20%, which may be the lowest on record.  Go to the 0:55 mark for more info.

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=78216

I see that Toyota is pushing Camry LE for under $23,000 with decent standard equipment. Great for affordability, but brutal on the bottom line. Ditto for Corolla. 

For affordability, Ford still offers Escape S and Maverick hybrid. Maybe even base Ecoboost Mustang. XL Maverick with 2.0 fits affordability equation also. And all these vehicles are more multifunctional than Camry/Corolla. 

48 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I see that Toyota is pushing Camry LE for under $23,000 with decent standard equipment. Great for affordability, but brutal on the bottom line. Ditto for Corolla. 

For affordability, Ford still offers Escape S and Maverick hybrid. Maybe even base Ecoboost Mustang. XL Maverick with 2.0 fits affordability equation also. And all these vehicles are more multifunctional than Camry/Corolla. 

Yes, but try finding an Escape S in stock and the Maverick Hybrid is only available for retail factory orders so far. 

31 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Yes, but try finding an Escape S in stock and the Maverick Hybrid is only available for retail factory orders so far. 

Mullinax always has many S's in stock and quite a few cheaper SE's also. It's the hybrids in all trim levels that are hard to find. And all plugins are spoken for. In fact, most inventory around here is mostly S and SE. With over $3 gas, hybrids from every auto company are hard to find. 

9 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Mullinax always has many S's in stock and quite a few cheaper SE's also. It's the hybrids in all trim levels that are hard to find. And all plugins are spoken for. In fact, most inventory around here is mostly S and SE. With over $3 gas, hybrids from every auto company are hard to find. 

Mullinax is a huge dealer group though.  Most smaller dealers won't stock bare bones models in any real quantities.

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Mullinax is a huge dealer group though.  Most smaller dealers won't stock bare bones models in any real quantities.

Then the 13,000 Escspes sold last month must have been all customer orders. Mullinax has about 70 Escapes sitting on lot and 80 customer orders. Those sitting on lot are almost all Ss and SEs, and customer orders are hybrids and plugins. Since the production mix is about 20% hybrids and rest ICE, then most on lots are lower trim levels with 1.5.

At the small Ford dealer I got my Escape at (Key Scales), almost all are customer orders and all hybrids. Only one is on lot and an SE 1.5. I would say Escape hybrid is going to be like Maverick hybrid...sold out for next 12 months or so. Ford can only make so many hybrids...big demand and short supply like so much of the economy.