F350 vs F250 with high capacity tow package

Gadgetwiz

6 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Lol...well neither one of them were correct.

According this my truck should weigh exactly 7461 lbs.

Going to take it to the truck scale and see how close it is.

4439 - 478 (me 190 and fuel 288)

Brings it to 3961.

the brochure chart I posted says 3952.... if you figure in a 200 lb man it is spot-on.

So I say the website chart is off but the brochure chart is accurate

20211115_230326.jpg

20211115_230314.jpg

That’s interesting. I bet the chart accounts for 1 passenger and full tank of fuel, almost like they did some of the dumb math that the lay man would assume is already included ?

The door sticker includes full fuel and oil but does not include a driver or anything else (it is the GVWR minus the as built weight + fuel and oil).  The towing guide says the following under the slide in camper cargo capacity "Combined weight of vehicle, camper body, occupants and cargo must not exceed Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is maximum allowable, assuming weight of a base vehicle with required camper option content and a 150-lb. passenger at each available seating position. Ratings also assume weight of engine and standard transmission. Cargo Weight Rating shown must be further reduced by weight of transmission upgrade and any other options. Option weights and center-of-gravity information are available on the Ford Pickup Truck Consumer Information Sheet."

So the website is the maximum payload, the towing guide shows the max for a slide in camper, which are not the same.  Neither includes options.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nswan said:

It’s tempted to cancel my F250 order and get the extra 1000 lb of payload by switching to F350. I ordered on 7-19 and changing now would obviously set me back, and likely irritate the dealer. Not sure what to do.

The dealer might actually be happy. If you order a F-350, they would most likely keep the F-250 and sell it easily once it arrives.

When I had the 2013 F-350 SRW, I believe I ordered it with a 11,500 lb GVWR and the 2016 DRW had a 14,000 lb GVWR.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:50 PM, nswan said:

Thanks. Says hitch (pin) weight is 2,685 lb for this trailer I’m looking at. I didn’t order the gasser, it’s the 6.7 diesel. How is the pin weight applied to the truck from a physics stand point?

My F250 with the high capacity tow package has a payload of 2,637, now granted it is a platinum FX4 with sunroof so it is probably worst case but you can see these trucks do not have much space for pin weight especially once you put people in the truck and stuff in the camper. My 5th wheel has a pin weight of 1,300 (empty) and with a loaded truck we are probably sitting less than 200 free lbs left. 

The weight adds up fast in the truck also. Think about the stuff you never really think about for weight.

This is what I have to figure in on weight.

Me 190

Wife 130 ish( I have to be very careful she may read this) ?

2 young kids 170

Tool box + contents (estimated) 300

5th wheel hitch 150

Dog 75

Misc crap in truck.. figure in all the stuff you carry with you when you go on vacation GPS, phones, cables, purses, pistol (and 4 mags???), WeatherTech floor mats seat covers, drinks, lunch box all the crappy stuff behind the seat under the seats Exedra Exedra Exedra... 100lbs

That's 1115 lbs. Now take your fifth wheel pin weight and add all the extra crap that you throw in the camper between the camper Wheels and the front of camper. Pots, pans ,food, all kitchen stuff, chairs clothing, bedding, washer dryer if not equipped, and all the other stuff that you will accumulate overtime or even while you're on vacation, wheel chocks tools ect ect ect.. all of that really adds up!

Add 300 very conservative lbs for that.

Dont put yourself right on the line or close to it, just like with estimating a job (brickwork, welding, building a home, building a shed, renovation,  whatever it may be) factor in 25% more for the stuff that you forgot about or did not planned for.

So now I have let's just say 1400 lb left on my payload that leaves me anywhere from 2700 starting at the door sticker that says 4400.

2700.... throw rated 1800-2000 pin weight on there I have 700- 900 left.

Nice capacity Factor I'm comfortable with. But I ordered this truck with the absolute most cargo capacity I could get in a single rear wheel truck with keeping the bear Needs & Wants.

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

Now with that being said... my 2019 F350 dwr 6.2 4x4 truck with a utility bed says I'm allowed 4000 lb cargo..

I have 1,000 to maybe 1500 lb of tools in the tool boxes and in the Gang Box in the back. That leaves me 2500 to 3000 pounds of cargo capacity left.

Regularly (almost daily) I haul 4500 lb of elevator test weights and the truck does just fine almost like nothing is in there but do notice it a little little bit on braking... but I am way over the sticker at this point (legal risky....YES!) 

Sometimes I do 5500 lb and still the truck still handles just fine .. sometimes I put 6000 to 7,000 lb back there and that's when I can really feel the push, the sway and the severely reduced braking. But even with that kind of weight I still don't have my buffer pads on the axles.

These trucks will definitely handle more than that sticker but the question you have to ask yourself is it worth the risk. Because once you're pulled over from being over weighted they don't just write you a ticket and tell you to carry on, you are stuck there until there's less weight or there's somebody else that is legally able to carry the weight rhat comes to get your trailer or your cargo.

I run this dually truck around the city and have four people I can call that can be out there within 30 minutes to transfer weight but with the new 22 F-350 single rear wheel I will be traveling all up and down the east coast and in the future to the West Coast with a fifth wheel that's when I am not going to risk it because I will not have the convenience buffer of just calling somebody to help me out if needed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

The weight adds up fast in the truck also. Think about the stuff you never really think about for weight.

This is what I have to figure in on weight.

Me 190

Wife 130 ish( I have to be very careful she may read this) ?

Ford and most (all?) OEMs have agreed to follow SAE spec that included 300 lbs of passenger weight and IRC 150 lbs of hitch wt.

I think some of the confusion over the driver being considered in the payload number comes from the Ford brochure. It states the maximum payloads shown in the brochure are for a “properly equipped base vehicles with required equipment and a 150 lb. driver”. What they conveniently don’t include in that note is your door sticker is total payload available and you have to deduct the driver’s weight as well as everything else. They do say you have to check the door sticker but leave it unclear that the 150 lb. driver doesn’t apply to the sticker.

image.thumb.png.82a8ad437b2ca77cc25354c37e81e92d.png

How auto manufactures need to word these charts and stickers.

YOUR TRUCK WEIGHS 7123LBS

YOU CAN TOW UP TO 10,000 LBS

5TH WHEEL/GOOSENECK YOU CAN TOW UP TO 10,000LBS

YOUR SLIDE IN CAMPER CAN WEIGH UP TO...XXX 

AFTER FULL TANK OF FUEL YOU CAN ONLY ADD 2500LBS TO YOUR TRUCK!

ECT ECT.....

Would cut down a lot of confusion through all truck classes and all markets

? ? ? 

• Like 2

Like I had mentioned before the payload on the sticker is GVWR - curb weight (full fuel and oil). It doesn't include any non factory loose equipment or driver/passenger.

What @road turtle mentioned above is for the SAE maximum tow rating. Because payload capacity affects your maximum trailer weight SAE requires the manufacturer to use 300 lb of passengers and 150 lb for the hitch. So if an F-150 has a tow rating of 13000 lb, the minimum payload capacity would be 1750 lb (1300 tongue weight + 300 lb passengers + 150 lb hitch). My Expy is rated for 9200 lb towing. My minimum payload would be 1370 lb. I have a total of 1480. So realistically I wouldn't be able to tow that much due to lack of payload.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, road turtle said:

hydraulic assist brakes?

Hydroboost brakes.

All 250s and srw350s with lower numbers use vacuum assisted brakes. If you ordered the truck right (gas engine)and get the GVWR to 11900 then you get the hydroboost brakes which are powered off of your power steering pump.

Diesel uses hydroboost because diesel engines do not create vacuum.

• 2 weeks later...

When I ordered my F350 Lariat CCSB SRW 7.3,  the 3.73 locking differential was included.  In an F250 Lariat CCSB SRW 7.3, the 3.73 locking differential is not available, and a locking differential costs $390 - so for me, it like saving $390 off the upgrade price for F350.  It is also my understanding the F350 has a larger rear axle in addition to the additional rear suspension springs.  I was originally set to buy an F250 but when my dealer asked me about my towing intentions, he suggested the F350 for the higher payload without a substantial increase in cost.  For me, it was an easy call.

I just wish it would get built and delivered.  I was told there would be an extended wait time, just getting a little impatient.