Has my fuel system been damaged?

AggieDad

I took my F350 SRW in for the recall inspection and asked that they perform the routine maintenance while they had it.  Oil hange, fuel/water separator drained, fuel filter changed.   After picking up the truck, i made it about 2 miles before "low fuel" pressure warning started flashing followed by a total shutdown.    Attempted restart unsuccessful.   Root cause was the fuel line backed off of the fuel filter, essentially starving the engine of fuel.   I pushed the line back on and the truck started normally.  I then had truck returned to dealership via flatbed for a) inspection/reinstallation of the fuel line and b) complete engine compartment detailing as there was fuel sprayed everywhere.    

My question:   I've always heard to never allow a diesel to run out of fuel.    Have I now effectively done just that and have I likely damaged something?   Thoughts?

its probably fine. The old adage about not running a diesel out of fuel is because many diesels (specifically older ones) will not restart if there is air in the fuel system. The system has to be bled of air before it will be possible to start it again(some of them it can be quite a task). Ford hasnt used this style of fuel system in superdutys since the 90's.

That being said its not good to run any vehicle out of fuel. The fuel lubricates and cools components like the pump. When they run dry they arent getting that lubrication or cooling.

Edited by mattdm

• 3 weeks later...

My experience is in the ag tractor world but the new HPCR fuel systems don’t like air, at all.  The injectors like it less than the pumps. Gelling is just as bad as air. The tolerances are so tight lack of fuel causes scoring on the fuel system parts. Most new diesels use a 2 or 4 micron main filter. If damage is done it doesn’t take long to figure it out but it’s typically expensive to fix.