LA Auto Show Surprise?

3 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

The LA Auto Show tends to be the place where it's mostly green vehicles being revealed/announced. From hybrids to plug-in hybrids to full BEVs. So my guess would be the reveal of Ford's Explorer/Aviator BEV.

Ford & Lincoln also haven't done their media blitz yet for the Escape PHEV and Corsair Grand Touring PHEV.  The vehicles have quietly entered the market, but no major media outlet (or even Youtuber) has posted a review yet.  I have a hunch the LA Auto Show might be the "reveal" even though the vehicles have been trickling to dealers for a couple of months.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Did Ford even say they were going to "surprise" us at the LA auto show? If so, my hope is that they tease the hybrid s650 we've heard about, but that's highly unlikely.

I think it would be better that the S650 Mustang would be revealed at the New York Auto Show next April. The S550 Mustang was revealed in April 2015 as part of the 50th anniversary as well as the original '64 1/2' Mustang was revealed at World Fair in April 17 of 1964. If Ford does plan on revealing the S650 Mustang in April, then they may do a quick teaser video at the end of their LA Show presentation to drum up interests for it. Ford has done a great job keeping the S650 Mustang project under wraps so the teaser would certainly get people excited and talking about it before the actual reveal, preferably in NY.

I still think it's the Explorer/Aviator BEV to be shown in LA, as it's a good time as ever to reveal it. Ford has a good thing going with their electrification plans and they need to keep the momentum going. So the Explorer/Aviator BEV would certainly keep that momentum going. I do think that Explorer/Aviator was actually their next electric vehicle they had previously announced to be next to be rolled out after the Mustang Mach-E, E-Transit, and F-150 Lightning. The reveal would also be a good time they can announce where and when it would be produced and when it would be expected to arrive on dealer lots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

I think it would be better that the S650 Mustang would be revealed at the New York Auto Show next April. The S550 Mustang was revealed in April 2015 as part of the 50th anniversary as well as the original '64 1/2' Mustang was revealed at World Fair in April 17 of 1964. If Ford does plan on revealing the S650 Mustang in April, then they may do a quick teaser video at the end of their LA Show presentation to drum up interests for it. Ford has done a great job keeping the S650 Mustang project under wraps so the teaser would certainly get people excited and talking about it before the actual reveal, preferably in NY.

I still think it's the Explorer/Aviator BEV to be shown in LA, as it's a good time as ever to reveal it. Ford has a good thing going with their electrification plans and they need to keep the momentum going. So the Explorer/Aviator BEV would certainly keep that momentum going. I do think that Explorer/Aviator was actually their next electric vehicle they had previously announced to be next to be rolled out after the Mustang Mach-E, E-Transit, and F-150 Lightning. The reveal would also be a good time they can announce where and when it would be produced and when it would be expected to arrive on dealer lots.

Exactly, if they showed anything s650 related, it would be a teaser rather than a full reveal.

• Like 2

I'd like see some kind of announcement and product preview of what is going to replace the Lincoln Nautilus. I understand and respect the need for Ford not to get into years-in-the-future vaporware announcements like Tesla and I also get the interest in how Aviator and Navigator are going to be transitioning down the line, but the end of production of the existing Nautilus is getting closer and still nothing other than there would be "something" BEV in that space (2-row midsized crossover that slots in-between the Corsair and Aviator) after Nautilus production ends.

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Do we even have any indication they're far enough along on BEV Explorer/Aviator to show them yet?

Maybe they’ll do a production preview like they did with the navigator a few years back. 

IIRC they are supposed to launch sooner then later-like in the next 24-36 months. 

• Thanks 1

I don't expect anything new from Ford for LA Auto Show. There is no international media because the travel ban was just lifted and most of them did not plan to attend.

A quick scan of upcoming models shows nothing really fits the profile of the LA Auto Show:

- Transit Connect (probably Chicago where Ford usually unveil new vans)

- Mustang S650 (LA would have been ideal place to debut but Ford will want an international audience for this, which was not possible as mentioned)

- Fusion Active (we haven't seen the wagon out testing yet so this is probably delayed)

- Bronco Raptor (too early, probably mid year for Detroit)

- Ranger (will debut in Australia/Thailand this week but probably won't see it in the US until Texas State Fair)

- Escape mid cycle update (I'm guessing NY)

- Midsize EV (too early, probably LA next year)

- Corsair EV (your guess is as good as any...)

16 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I don't expect anything new from Ford for LA Auto Show. There is no international media because the travel ban was just lifted and most of them did not plan to attend.

A quick scan of upcoming models shows nothing really fits the profile of the LA Auto Show:

- Transit Connect (probably Chicago where Ford usually unveil new vans)

- Mustang S650 (LA would have been ideal place to debut but Ford will want an international audience for this, which was not possible as mentioned)

- Fusion Active (we haven't seen the wagon out testing yet so this is probably delayed)

- Bronco Raptor (too early, probably mid year for Detroit)

- Ranger (will debut in Australia/Thailand this week but probably won't see it in the US until Texas State Fair)

- Escape mid cycle update (I'm guessing NY)

- Midsize EV (too early, probably LA next year)

- Corsair EV (your guess is as good as any...)

I hope Fusion Active is in the works but wonder if it’s been canceled. 

10 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I hope Fusion Active is in the works but wonder if it’s been canceled. 

The lack of wagon (Active) prototype is a bit strange since that was expected to be the biggest seller. We've already seen the hatchback (Evos) and sedan both of which are aimed primarily at Chinese market. Europe and North America were supposed to get only the Active wagon marketed as a CUV.  

11 minutes ago, bzcat said:

The lack of wagon (Active) prototype is a bit strange since that was expected to be the biggest seller. We've already seen the hatchback (Evos) and sedan both of which are aimed primarily at Chinese market. Europe and North America were supposed to get only the Active wagon marketed as a CUV.  

I wonder if The Active wagon can be assembled at FRAP. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 8:36 PM, Trader 10 said:

I wonder if The Active wagon can be assembled at FRAP. 

I haven't seen any new mules running around lately of it. Just facelifted Escape, new Ranger, facelifted Super Duty, facelifted Explorer, Lighting and a mid size SUV (At night) that is all camo'ed up. There is also a ton of Mach-e's with manufactures plates as well. 

51 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I haven't seen any new mules running around lately of it. Just facelifted Escape, new Ranger, facelifted Super Duty, facelifted Explorer, Lighting and a mid size SUV (At night) that is all camo'ed up. There is also a ton of Mach-e's with manufactures plates as well. 

Any word on what changes will be done for the MCE explorer? Interior updates?

11 minutes ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

Any word on what changes will be done for the MCE explorer? Interior updates?

Looks like a new grill, headlights and bumper changes. Haven't been next to one to look inside but I'd assume Blue Cruise availability, better cameras, SYNC 4 version and some powertrain updates.  

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

Ive seen a couple of Bronco Raptors too. Still a lot of regular Broncos with M-plates too

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ive seen a couple of Bronco Raptors too. Still a lot of regular Broncos with M-plates too

Supposedly Ford built a 50 foot high mound at the show to show what the Bronco lineup can do. And letting people drive the Mach E like they didi before. I would assume the Lightning will be there and maybe let show goers drive one. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/5/2021 at 9:29 PM, ausrutherford said:

Ford doesn't have press conference scheduled for LA.

It appears that Ford doesn't have plans for the New York Auto Show either within a few days. Was hoping for teaser of the S650 Mustang or actual concept reveal to tie into the April 17th historical date. But I guess Ford isn't going to do that any time soon.

https://www.autoshowny.com/media-press/

I apologize for bringing this thread up to mention the New York Auto Show. I wasn't sure whether I should have started up a separate thread for that particular auto show or not.

32 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

It appears that Ford doesn't have plans for the New York Auto Show either within a few days. Was hoping for teaser of the S650 Mustang or actual concept reveal to tie into the April 17th historical date. But I guess Ford isn't going to do that any time soon.

https://www.autoshowny.com/media-press/

I apologize for bringing this thread up to mention the New York Auto Show. I wasn't sure whether I should have started up a separate thread for that particular auto show or not.

To be fair, Ford does like to surprise us at times. Remember the ford gt? There was no official teaser for that. Ford might just drop a bombshell on us, fingers crossed. We know the official s650 teasers will likely start soon, April 17th would be the perfect opportunity to kick off a new teaser campaign. The lack of official ford press events is disappointing. But who's to say they won't do something as simple as teasing a shadowy image of the s650 on social media or something.

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

To be fair, Ford does like to surprise us at times. Remember the ford gt? There was no official teaser for that. Ford might just drop a bombshell on us, fingers crossed. We know the official s650 teasers will likely start soon, April 17th would be the perfect opportunity to kick off a new teaser campaign. The lack of official ford press events is disappointing. But who's to say they won't do something as simple as teasing a shadowy image of the s650 on social media or something.

I remember the Ford GT reveal. I loved the gasps and applause from the crowd when the GT drove on stage. Now that you mention it, Lincoln has been doing their social media teases lately regarding their 100th anniversary of Ford ownership. They did say that they will reveal the electric concept later this year as part of that celebration. So perhaps Ford intends to do the same type of marketing with the Mustang starting April 17th. There is the Detroit show later this year where the S650 Mustang could be revealed to wrap up the online marketing teases. There are also the next generation American Ranger and the F-150 Raptor R that have yet to be revealed too. I guess we'll see what they have planned for us.