Mach e production dates

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 5:28 PM, 737flyer said:

I do have a vin so I guess it will be a 2021. If I get delay again to January then I guess I get a new vin and 2022.

Ive , sorry to say...had several vehicles with vins cancelled......never seen that before. And we were just notified that anyone that places an order for a Mach is is a minimum of 28 weeks out......fingers crossed for you 737....

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 6:30 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

If it has a VIN it must be built as ordered, theres no more delaying it to the next model year. 99.99% sure that's a legal thing. 

I had several units that had vins get flat cancelled....hard to figure that one out....

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

Ive , sorry to say...had several vehicles with vins cancelled......never seen that before. And we were just notified that anyone that places an order for a Mach is is a minimum of 28 weeks out......fingers crossed for you 737....

I've got (3) Retail 2022 Mustang Mach-E's showing on this morning's AM Preview Report. Selected for scheduling Thursday with assigned build weeks 01/10/2022 & 01/17/2022.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 10:48 AM, akirby said:

It’s not a legal thing though.  The only legality is that you can’t build a 2021 vehicle after dec 31.  It would need to be a 22 which is a new Vin.

makes you wonder if the Vin tags are actually the first thing made and literally WAIT for a car to be put on....no car...just scrap the vin plate

23 minutes ago, Deanh said:

makes you wonder if the Vin tags are actually the first thing made and literally WAIT for a car to be put on....no car...just scrap the vin plate

The VIN is assigned when it’s scheduled not when it’s actually being built.  There is plenty of time in between to cancel or reschedule the build.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, akirby said:

It’s not a legal thing though.  The only legality is that you can’t build a 2021 vehicle after dec 31.  It would need to be a 22 which is a new Vin.

I assume there is a difference between build date and shipping date.  Assuming they could ship a MY21 in 22 just not build one. To be considered built, would it need be 100% completed or if it’s missing a part due to supply issues would it not be considered completed.  

2 hours ago, Mully722 said:

I assume there is a difference between build date and shipping date.  Assuming they could ship a MY21 in 22 just not build one. To be considered built, would it need be 100% completed or if it’s missing a part due to supply issues would it not be considered completed.  

I believe it has to leave the factory in 2021 if it’s a 2021 model.  I know they can ship a 2023 model to dealers today but they can’t legally be sold until January 1 2022.

10 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I'm not so sure about that. I think it's based on the production date. 

I definitely remember a relatively recent Ford vehicle being shipped in December but had to be held for sale until Jan 1 but I don’t remember the details.  But that’s very very unusual.

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

Oh ok.  When I said leave the factory I was assuming that was also the build date but I guess there could be a lag there.  

Or would a better question be, do they have to ship in the current model year or can shipment extend into the following year?

Could new vehicle leave the factory, sit in a parking lot waiting for supplies while being in an "in production" status? Assume that the parts don't arrive until start of 22 or the vehicle never ships in 21 but it does in 22. What would that mean legality wise considering a MY21 was completed in 22, if any? 

18 minutes ago, Mully722 said:

Or would a better question be, do they have to ship in the current model year or can shipment extend into the following year?

Could new vehicle leave the factory, sit in a parking lot waiting for supplies while being in an "in production" status? Assume that the parts don't arrive until start of 22 or the vehicle never ships in 21 but it does in 22. What would that mean legality wise considering a MY21 was completed in 22, if any? 

I would be shocked if they let that happen but I guess it’s technically possible.  Just like a 2021 could sit on a dealer’s lot for months or years.

27 minutes ago, Mully722 said:

I think that if it's been built and then sits waiting for parts, such as a microchip, that once it comes off the assembly line it would be considered produced. Whether the vehicle was missing a required microchip or wiper blades, the vehicle would be considered to be produced. The missing parts would be installed and the vehicle would meet the Model Year production requirements. Shipping is a different issue and should have no bearing related to the vehicle production and sales ability. Once the vehicle comes off the assembly line it's considered produced. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I think it's apples vs. oranges. Production and sales are totally different subjects. 

I was just saying there isn’t any difference in it sitting at the factory waiting for parts vs sitting on a dealer lot.

I think we’re in violent agreement.  ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I was just saying there isn’t any difference in it sitting at the factory waiting for parts vs sitting on a dealer lot.

I think we’re in violent agreement.  ?

My understanding is that the dealership doesn't "own" the vehicle until shipment is completed. Isn't that when the title transfer from the manufacture to the dealership happens?

15 hours ago, Mully722 said:

My understanding is that the dealership doesn't "own" the vehicle until shipment is completed. Isn't that when the title transfer from the manufacture to the dealership happens?

There is no title transfer. New vehicles have a CO (Certificate of Origin) from the manufacturer that is sent to the dealership prior to the vehicle's arrival at the dealership. The dealership sends the CO to the state DMV with the registration application when the vehicle is sold or leased. The state DMV then generates the title for the vehicle which is then sent to either the customer or lienholder if the vehicle is financed. 

The vehicle doesn't go into the dealership's inventory until after the dealership accepts delivery and signs the Bill of Lading. The vehicle goes on the Dealer's floorplan credit line, if the dealership finances their inventory, after the vehicle is released from the plant.